Death toll in Mindanao quakes climbs to 22, nearly 30K infrastructures damaged – NDRRMC
Robie de Guzman • November 4, 2019 • 857
MANILA, Philippines – The number of people who died from two strong earthquakes that devastated parts of Mindanao in October has climbed to 22, a report from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) showed Monday.
In its latest situational report, the NDRRMC said 19 of the fatalities were from Region 12 while the remaining three were from Davao del Sur.
Around 424 individuals were also injured due to the quake while two others are still reported missing.
A total of 37,706 families or more than 188,000 people in 238 barangays were affected by the magnitude 6.6 and 6.5 earthquakes that occurred on Oct. 29 and 31, respectively. Of these figures, 4,800 families or 24,000 persons are taking temporary shelter in 34 evacuation centers.
According to Davao del Sur provincial disaster management officer Christopher Tan, some of the evacuees also opted to stay in makeshift tents built in open areas due to aftershocks.
“’Yung iba ayaw pumunta sa evacuation centers kasi ang evacuation centers natatakot din sila kasi gym, so nandoon sila sa labas, nag-stay sila sa tent,” he told UNTV News in a phone interview.
Relief packs have been coming in from local government units and non-government organizations but Tan said quake victims are in need of more food and water supplies, as well as tents.
“Tent, food packs, blankets, hygiene kits, tubig… yan talaga ang kailangan nila,” Tan said.
“Hindi kaya ng local government unit na bigyan sila ng pagpagawa ng bahay. Mabibigyan namin sila ng financial assistance pero hindi ito kasinglaki ng halaga ng kanilang mga bahay,” he added.
The NDRRMC reported that a total of 29,453 infrastructures in Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Davao Region, Soccskargen and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao were damaged by the temblor. These include houses, schools, places of worship, health facilities, commercial establishments, roads, bridges and other public structures.
The agency also said that more than P25 million worth of assistance have been provided by the Department of Social Welfare and Development, Department of Health, and the Office of the Civil Defense to affected families.
The magnitude 6.5 quake that struck on Oct. 31 was the third temblor to hit Mindanao last month. A magnitude 6.1 quake was recorded last Oct. 16 while a magnitude 6.6 quake was reported last Oct. 29, killing several people and damaging homes and buildings.
The epicenters of these tremors were traced in Tulunan town in Cotabato. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Marisol Montaño)
MANILA, Philippines – Nagsagawa ang National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) ng nationwide simultaneous earthquake drill ngayong Huwebes.
Ngunit hindi katulad dati, virtual o online lamangito ginawa dahil sa banta ng novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Ayon kay Mark Timbal, ang tagapagsalita ng NDRRMC, alinsunod ito sa mga ipinatutupad na panuntunan ng Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) sa pagsasagawa ng mass gathering sa gitna ng pandemya.
“Kailangan po talaga natin sumunod doon sa mga reglamento na bawal ang mga mass gathering at saka yung ating social distancing or physical distancing requirements,” ang sabi ni Timbal.
Ala-una ng hapon sinimulan ang programa kung saan tinalakay ang mga kahandaan sa mga sakuna, partikular na ng lindol.
Kasama rin sa mga napag-usapan ang kahalagahan ng pagkakaroon ng go bag na naglalaman ng mga mahahalagang gamit at pagkain sa panahon ng sakuna.
Pagpatak naman ng alas-dos ng hapon, idinaos naman ang isang ceremonial pressing of the button na hudyat ng pagsasagawa ng duck, cover and hold procedure.
Nakiisa rito ang ilang tauhan ng iba’t ibang ahensiya ng pamahalaan pati na ang ilang netizen na nag-post ng kanilang mga larawan sa social media.
Ayon kay Timbal, itinuloy nila ang pagsasagawa ng drill dahil hindi pa rin naman nawawala ang posibilidad na magkaroon ng lindol sa gitna ng nararanasang pandemya.
“Napapansin po natin sa mga balita na sa iba’t-ibang parte ng Pilipinas, may mga nagaganap rin po na mga lindol. Ibig sabihin po ang mga panganib na kinahaharap noon ay hindi pa rin nawawala habang may pandemic,” ani ng opisyal.
Layunin rin ng drill na maipalala sa publiko ang palagiang paghahanda sa posibleng pagdating ng mga sakuna at kalamidad. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Vincent Arboleda)
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) will be conducting various online activities for the Third Quarter Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake Drill (NSED).
The NDRRMC through the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) will hold various online activities to continuously instill earthquake preparedness in people amid the pandemic.
“A webinar on earthquake preparedness and response in the new normal is scheduled for September 8 [from] 10 a.m to 12 nn. Resource persons from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) and Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will join the virtual discussion,” the post reads.
𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐑𝐌𝐂 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝟑𝐫𝐝 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐒𝐄𝐃The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council…
MANILA, Philippines – Authorities on Thursday denied information circulating online that the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) is raiding private hospitals and confiscating stocks of personal protective equipment amid novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis.
“May kumalat po na fake news that some hospitals were raided by government, specifically OCD, to confiscate their supplies and equipment para ipamigay sa ibang hospitals. Fake news po yan,” Mark Timbal, spokesperson of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (NDRRMC), said in a message to reporters.
The OCD is the implementing arm of the NDRRMC.
On Wednesday night, information about the supposed raid made rounds on social media. The confiscated medical supplies were allegedly being consolidated to be distributed to other health facilities with attributions to a senator.
In a social media post, the Medical City denied the occurrence of such an incident.
“There are news circulating that a raid of PPEs occurred in our premises on the evening of April 1. We deny this and encourage everyone to be careful in spreading unverified information,” the post read.
Senator Bong Go, whose name surfaced in social media posts in connection with the purported incident, denied the allegation.
“Claims circulating that I am involved in handling donations intended for the government are utterly false, deliberate disinformation, and black propaganda,” Go said in a statement.
“Nais ko po klaruhin na wala po akong kinalaman sa operasyon at mandato ng OCD. Wala rin pong kinalaman ang opisina ko sa distribution ng government resources,” Go said.
According to Timbal, the OCD, like what was done in previous disaster response operations, has been gathering resources through procurement and donations.
“In the case of the COVID-19 response, OCD procured PPEs and other medical supplies and received donations from various donors. These are then provided to various hospital recipients,” he said.
“We are very grateful po to all our donors and the member-agencies of the NDRRMC who provide logistical support for the transport of the various items that we are giving to hospitals across the country,” he added.
He also thanked the media for helping the agency in its fight against false information.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.