MANILA, Philippines – The death toll in the aftermath of a magnitude 6.9 earthquake in Davao del Sur has reached seven, according to the latest report of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
Specifically, three of the fatalities were recorded in Padada, Davao del Sur; one each from the towns of Matanao, Hagonoy, Magsaysay and one in Malita, Davao Occidental.
The agency, still, is verifying additional reports of casualties from various locations.
As of press time, 39 individuals were reported injured by the tragedy.
Meanwhile, at least 2,000 families or more than 9,000 individuals are temporarily taking shelter in 13 evacuation centers across the region.
Furthermore, 36 structures were damaged in Regions XI and XII including public buildings and schools.
“Dahil nagkaroon na naman ng panibagong earthquake, baka hindi na talaga kinaya nung building na sunud-sunod. Strong abuse na iyon from the earthquakes (Aftershocks are ongoing still so perhaps the buildings could no longer hold strong abuse from the earthquakes),” NDRRMC Spokesperson Mark Timbal said.
Timbal confirmed that the ground team leader decided to stop the rescue operations for now because of frequent aftershocks in consideration of the safety of the rescuers.
“We have to make sure that our rescue personnel is safe. Baka kasi (Because) if they are in the collapsed structure extricating (the victims) itong mga biktima, baka biglang magkaroon ng (there might be) additional collapse during aftershocks,” he noted.
The agency is also considering sending an augmentation team to the affected areas in Davao del Sur.
“Our rescue personnel on the ground ng local government ay doble-kayod na talaga sa pag-ayuda dun sa mga kababayan natin (are working extra hard to assist the victims),” Timbal said.
“So, what is happening now is we don’t want to abuse our rescuers by not allowing them to rest,” he added. – MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)
CHINA – The number of deaths from 2019 novel coronavirus has breached the 1,000 mark, according to the latest report from China Global Television Network (CGTN).
Earlier on Tuesday (February 11), Chinese health authorities reported an additional 108 deaths overnight, pushing the total number of fatalities in China to 1,016 while confirmed cases also spiked to 42,638.
Officials are expected to provide the exact count throughout the day.
Outside mainland China, there are more than 300 other confirmed cases with one confirmed death recorded in the Philippines and one in Hong Kong.
Over the weekend, 2019-nCoV surpassed the number of deaths by severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) which killed only 774 individuals during the 2003 outbreak that originated in southern China.
On Monday, Chinese President Xi Jinping visited treatment facilities for nCoV patients in Beijing.
The Chinese leader also spoke to medical workers in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the virus, via video conferencing.
China’s state television CCTV said Xi emphasized resolutely winning the fight against novel coronavirus which he dubbed as the “people’s war.”
Meanwhile in Wuhan City, authorities are combing communities to locate every confirmed or suspected patient and bring them under proper treatment.
China’s health authorities Wednesday (February 3) said it received 3,887 new confirmed cases and 65 new deaths of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
Among the new confirmed cases and deaths, 3,156 and 65 are in central China’s Hubei Province, the epicenter of the viral pneumonia outbreak.
The National Health Commission said in its daily report that 431 (377 in Hubei) more patients were in critical conditions and 262 (125 in Hubei) discharged from hospitals after recovery on Tuesday.
The Commission said by 24:00 Tuesday (February 2), a total of 24,324 confirmed cases of the viral pneumonia had been reported, 3,219 people remained in critical conditions, 490 people had died of the disease, and 892 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
People suspected of getting infected with the virus increased by 3,971 (1,957 in Hubei) on Tuesday, bringing the total suspected cases to 23,260.
A total of 252,154 close contacts have been traced down, the commission said, adding that among them, 18,457 were discharged from medical observation on Tuesday, with 185,555 others still under medical observation.
By the end of Tuesday, 18 confirmed cases had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (one death), 10 in the Macao Special Administrative Region and 11 in the Taiwan region.
The death toll increased by 65 in just 24 hours, according to the National Health Commission.—Reuters
CHINA – State-run China Global Television Network (CGTN) reported on Thursday (January 30) that the current number of deaths due to the novel coronavirus has climbed to 170 in China, an additional 132 fatalities from Wednesday (January 29).
Confirmed cases also rose to 7,736 from only 5,997 yesterday.
Suspected cases, meanwhile, has reached 12,167 from 9,239 yesterday.
Outside mainland China, at least 95 confirmed cases have been reported, 72 from other countries with three nations confirmed person-to-person transmission.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.