“It is important that a national epidemic be dared in these areas to identify where a localized response is needed and to enable the local government units to use their Quick Response Fund to address the epidemic situation,” Duque said during a press briefing on Tuesday (Aug 6).
Duque also said the health department along with other government agencies and local government unit will launch “the ‘Sabayang 4 o’clock habit’ para dengue out, focusing on search and destroy in mosquito breeding sites.”
The DOH also reiterated the importance of immediate consultation if an individual experiences dengue symptoms.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
The Department of Health has released its latest record of dengue cases which have already ballooned to more than 130,000.
This is double the recorded cases in the same month of 2018.
More than 500 fatalities had also been reported this year.
“Dumadami pa rin ang cases natin and nag-activate naman na tayo ng Regional Health Clusters ng NDRRMC [The number of cases continues to grow. We are once again activating the Regional Health Clusters of the NDRRMC],” DOH spokesman, Usec Eric Domingo said.
National Dengue Alert remains hoisted due to the increase of the number of areas that are already in the Dengue Epidemic Level.
This includes the Western Visayas, Calabarzon, Socsksargen, Northern Mindanao, Central Visayas, and the National Capital Region.
Dengue has also been considered as a global health issue in 2019 because of the cycle of the dengue virus infection that balloons in number every three years.
“2019 worldwide is really shaping up to be with one those high burden years for dengue,” Domingo added.
With this, the DOH will meet with the officials of the 17 regions in the country on Friday (Aug. 2) to be ensured that the dengue problem in their areas is controlled and addressed.
The health department also reminds the public to maintain cleanliness in their surroundings to ensure that there are no breeding grounds for dengue mosquitoes. (with details from Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
The death toll in Nepal from flash floods and landslides rose to 55 on Sunday (July 14), with dozens missing and injured, the government said.
Ten thousand people have been displaced from their homes as incessant monsoon rains pounded many areas in mostly mountainous Nepal since Thursday (July 11), submerging large areas of land, inundating homes, and destroying bridges and roads across the country.
A Home Ministry statement said 55 people had been confirmed dead and 33 injured, with 30 still missing.
India’s north eastern state of Assam has also been hard hit by the floods brought by the monsoon, with at least 1.5 million people displaced and 10 dead.
In the Chittagong division of Bangladesh there have been 10 deaths and about 500,000 displaced, with 200 villages flooded.
Officials said in some areas rains had eased but rivers in the eastern part of the country were still above flood level.
The Kosi River, which flows into the eastern Indian state of Bihar, was among those that had risen above the flood level.
The Kosi has been a serious concern for both India and Nepal since it broke its banks in 2008 and changed course, submerging large areas of land and affecting more than 2 million people in India’s Bihar state. (REUTERS)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.