Countries offered help to quell terrorism in Mindanao – Palace
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Friday, February 1st, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — Days after the deadly blasts that occurred at a church in Jolo, Sulu and a mosque in Zamboanga City, other nations have offered to help the Philippine government quell the growing terrorism network in the Mindanao region.
Among those that offered assistance are the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States of America, China, and Russia.
The offer came after President Rodrigo Duterte declared an all-out war against the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) and other enemies of the state.
According to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo, the government welcomes the assistance offered by the international community.
“There’s no need for any asking for help, because they are already offering them, those support…weapons for instance, intelligence. So kung yun ang ibibigay sa atin, we will welcome it,” said Panelo.
Malacañang is also confident that the recent bombings in parts of Mindanao will not scare residents from casting their votes in the second plebiscite for the ratification of the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL).
The second BOL plebiscite had been scheduled for February 6 in some parts of Lanao del Norte and North Cotabato.
The first voting was held last January 21 in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), Isabela City, Basilan and Cotabato City.
“They’re saying na dahil nagkaroon ng pambobomba. Takot na takot ang mga tao. Hindi ba sabi nila, they’re going with their normal activity. They’re just alert now, vigilant and cautious. But they will vote,” Panelo concluded. – Rosalie Coz
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, July 19th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Friday denied involvement in the filing of sedition charges against Vice President Leni Robredo and other known opposition figures over the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” video series.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo insisted that the Palace had nothing to do with the complaint, when asked if the move is part of the Duterte administration’s “crackdown” against the opposition group.
“We have nothing to do with this case. None at all,” Panelo said in a statement.
The Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) on Thursday filed the complaint before the Department of Justice (DOJ) in connection with videos, where a certain Bikoy linked members of the Duterte family to the narcotics trade.
Peter Joemel Advincula, who claimed to be the hooded figure “Bikoy” in the videos, was named in the complaint as a witness and respondent.
Aside from Robredo, other named respondents in the complaint were former Senators Bam Aquino, Antonio Trillanes IV, Senators Risa Hontiveros, Leila de Lima and members of the Otso Diretso senatorial slate.
Cyber libel, estafa, and obstruction of justice charges were also filed by the police against a total of 38 respondents.
by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Thursday, July 18th, 2019
Malacañang said President Rodrigo Duterte can declare martial law if terrorism reaches Metro Manila.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the chief executive expressed concern about the recent suicide bombing which led to the death of eight individuals including one Filipino suicide bomber in Indanan, Sulu.
“Iyon nga ang kinakatakot niya kasi may suicide bomber na. (That’s what he feared, there is already a suicide bomber). He’s very concerned of that. Kaya hindi ba nag-warning siya sa enemies of the state, (so he warned the enemies of the state) ‘Don’t force my hand into it. I will not allow the disintegration of this country,’ ” he said.
“Kaya nga hindi ba don’t force me to the wall. Kapag hindi kayo tumigil, (So don’t force me to the wall. If you do not stop) I’ll be compelled to use powers granted to me by the Constitution, lalong lalo pa iyong terorismo makarating dito sa Maynila (especially if terrorism reaches here in Metro Manila),” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
Panelo did not provide any detail on the topics that Duterte might discuss in his speech but the President earlier said he would use SONA to ‘educate’ the public on the constitutionality of his decision to allow Chinese fishermen to trawl in the Philippine waters.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.