The Philippine National Police-Anti Kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) has confirmed the rescue of three Chinese nationals from a kidnap for ransom group in Bacoor, Cavite on Friday (December 13).
The victims, namely, Pham ThiTu, Zhang Juanzi, Shen Wenhui were allegedly raped by the suspects who are also Chinese nationals.
The rescue led to the arrest of the six suspects.
A statement sent to the media on Saturday said PNP-AKG teams led by PMaj. Cesar Nuñez Jr and PMaj. Edgar Pablico, together with the PNP Bacoor under PLtCol. Villaflor Bannawagan conducted the rescue after receiving reports from the partners of the victims.
The first complaint came from Huafeng Du on Dec. 12 regarding the abduction of his girlfriend, Pham.
He said the kidnappers demanded 200,000 RMB in exchange for the release of his girlfriend.
The second complaint was filed by Chang Hsiang Hao on December 11, reporting that his girlfriend Zhang Juanzi left on December 10 at around 11:00 PM but has not returned home since.
He said he received a WeChat message from the victim’s account on December 11 asking for Php 700,000 which he sent through an online payment app. However, the kidnapper did not release the victim but demanded instead for another Php 700,000 on December 12.
The third victim named Shen Wenhui was abducted inside Okada Hotel at around 10:00 in the evening on December 12 and was brought to the said place in Bacoor, Cavite. /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines— The Philippine National Police Anti-Kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) on Tuesday (Dec. 10) arrested a Filipino security guard involved in the kidnapping of two Chinese nationals in Las Piñas City.
The suspect, named Saturnino Matias, is a security guard in a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO) where the mastermind of the kidnapping identified as Michael Chan is purportedly working.
Authorities found out about the kidnapping incident when another Chinese national who had also been abducted was eventually released after paying a ransom of 30,000 Renminbi or an equivalent of over Php 200,000.
The police, however, are looking into robbery as a motive for the alleged kidnapping of the two Chinese nationals.
“According sa interview dun sa dalawang victim natin, naglalakad lang sila sa along Alabang nung November 26. So bale, seven days na silang naka-stay dun sa room na ‘yun […] Allegedly, may utang itong dalawa na ‘to. Nagnakaw daw sila,” PNP-AKG spokesperson PLtCol. Joel Saliba said.
The suspect, meanwhile, denied knowing that the two Chinese nationals he was guarding were victims of kidnap-for-ransom.
“Inosente po ako. Wala po akong alam diyan kasi Chinese po ang usapan nila, nagtatawanan pa sila eh. Hindi ko alam na ganito pala ‘yun,” Matias said.
He will be charged with kidnapping for ransom with serious illegal detention.
The AKG said the two are now added to the six POGO-related kidnapping cases recorded this year.
Meanwhile, the PNP-AKG will conduct a separate investigation on the alleged abduction of a female Chinese national in Makati on Monday (Dec. 9) night.
The AKG said they have not received any complaint from the relatives of the victim who the Makati City Police said is also an employee of a POGO company.
Police are also looking into unpaid loans as an angle on the case.
Former PNP chief Senator Ronald Bato Dela Rosa said authorities had been receiving reports of kidnapping incidents involving Chinese nationals even during his time.
He said the presence of POGOs in the country must not be singled out as the reason behind these incidents.
He added that even if Filipinos are not involved, authorities must still act on these cases.
“Kung yan ay kidnapping for ransom na victimizing wealthy Filipino businessmen or kahit sinong ordinaryong Pilipino […] cause of concern yan ng lahat ng mga Pilipino dito. Pero sila sila mga Intsik nagkikidnapan. Meron bang Pilipinong kinidnap ng Chinese? Wala pa naman. But still, it’s not a crime and should be stopped,” Dela Rosa said. — (from the report of Harlene Delgado) /mbmf
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) presented to the media on Tuesday (June 11) six alleged members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) who were arrested in separate operations last month.
The NBI said that the six were arrested in Taguig City, Balanga City in Bataan, and Zamboanga City on May 16 and 20.
NBI spokesperson Ferdinand Lavin said, “the six arrested were involved in various terrorist activities, ranging from ambush, kidnap for ransom, bombing in Southern Philippines, and recruitment of other members.”
He added that the arrest stemmed from the intelligence reports that they gathered and have led them to the whereabouts of Azmier Maalum in Taguig City.
The joint operations of the NBI, the Philippine Navy (PN) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) had led to the arrest of Maalum, along with Amar Assan, Musa Tahil Sampang, Jamil Ibrahim, Yong Aming, and Majuk Tahil Amil.
Maalum has several warrants of arrest for eight counts of kidnapping and serious illegal detention of Golden Harvest plantation workers in Basilan in 2001, while Sampang was involved in several bombing incidents also in Basilan.
The NBI said the six had been recruiting members in Metro Manila. (with reports from April Cenedoza) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.