Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

PLDT contractual employees insist DOLE’s regularization order

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, June 1st, 2018

About 1,000 contractual employees of PLDT gathered in front of the main office to claim regularization based on the writ of execution issued by DOLE-NCR . (Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue)

 

MANDALUYONG CITY, Philippines – Around 1,000 employees of Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) marched to the firm’s main office in Mandaluyong Friday morning, June 1, hoping for regularization as ordered by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

On May 30, DOLE-NCR issued a writ of execution ordering PLDT to regularize the company’s over 7,000 contractual employees to be entitled to regular compensation and benefits as regular employees.

“Gusto namin outright maging regular at mapatupad itong writ of execution na more than 7,300 employees,” said Arthur Castillo, president of the Rank & File Employees Union – PLDT.

(We want to be regularized outright in compliance with the writ of execution which affects more than 7,300 employees.)

Meanwhile, the company’s management said they already received the writ of execution but the names of employees for regularization are still for validation.

“Ang kailangan naming gawin ngayon is gumawa ng isang proseso para maprocess itong mga individuals na nakabanggit dun sa writ of execution, kasi ang una unang kailangan po naming gawin is establish yung identity,” said Ramon Isberto, PLDT’s Head of Public Affairs.

(What we need to do now is to create a system of processing these individuals mentioned in the writ of execution because we must first establish their identities)

But Isberto couldn’t make certain as to when the validation will be completed and what will be the position of the PLDT management on the matter.

PLDT is third among the 20 companies with the most number of contractual employees based on record by DOLE.

DOLE’s order is in line with the government’s strong stand to eliminate contractualization in the country. – Nel Maribojoc / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , ,

DOLE to probe surge of illegal Chinese workers in PH

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, September 28th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) expressed concern over the growing number of Chinese nationals working in the country without the necessary legal documents.

“It is therefore possible that a significant number of Chinese nationals working here are working without a permit,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said.

Bello added that they are now verifying reports on the surge of illegal Chinese workers in the Philippines and are planning to launch a crackdown against them.

Based on DOLE’s record, there are around 51,980 Chinese nationals granted with work permits in the country since 2015.

The issue was uncovered after Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon mentioned in a Senate hearing that there are around 400,000 foreign workers in the country.

According to DOLE’s record, there were only about 115,000 foreign nationals granted employment permits so far.

Bello agrees that granting employment permits to foreign nationals should not be done in haste as it depends only on the skills on demand.

“Binibigyan namin sila ng permit to work pero ang binibigyan lang namin ng permit to work ay ang mga magta-trabaho ng isang klaseng trabaho  na hindi kaya ng Pilipino. Kapag may Pilipino na kayang gawin ang trabaho na iyonn hindi namin ibibigay ang alien employment permit,” Bello said.

The Secretary said DOLE is not the only agency responsible for a foreign job applicant.

A work visa is provided by the Bureau of Immigration.

Workers in the mining industry are subject to the approval of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR).

Bello vowed to look into the agencies compliance requirements even up to their respective regional offices to confirm if the granted alien employment permits were reasonable.

“Aalamin namin kung nabigyan nila ng AEP ay binigay sa isang Chinese na gagawa ng trabaho na hindi kayang gawin ng Pilipino,kasi kapag nalaman namin na nagbigay sila ng permit, halimbawa magluto ng pansit, eh kayang kaya naman niyan magluto ni Undersecretary Maglunsod, violation ng aming regulation iyan,” he concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Joan Nano)

Tags: , ,

Ex-PLDT workers seeks reversal of CA ruling on DOLE order

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2018

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Former workers of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) trooped to the Court of Appeals on Wednesday (August 22) to file a motion for reconsideration seeking the appellate court to reverse its decision favoring their retrenchment.

One of them was Rodrigo Nayangga who worked at PLDT as an electrician for 24 years under a contractual status.

“Masakit. Unang-una apektado pamilya. Tulad ngayon mayroon kang pinag-aaral. Ang iba sa amin nangungupahan, bayad sa tubig, bayad sa kuryente,” Nayangga lamented.

Mang Rodrigo now struggles to make both ends meet as a tricycle driver.

On July 31, the CA “affirmed, but with modification” the regularization order of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for PLDT.

The decision allowed the reinstatement and regularization of only 1,900 out of more than 7,000 workers laid off by the company. The said number does not include Mang Rodrigo.

Still, he hopes that with the new motion, the CA will be convinced to reverse its decision.

Meanwhile, the DOLE through the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) also filed a separate motion to CA today seeking the regularization of all 7,000 plus workers.

DOLE Assistant Secretary Benjo Benavidez hopes that the Court of Appeals will consider their argument.

In case the appellate court rules otherwise, Benavidez said they will elevate the matter to the Supreme Court (SC).  – JL Asayo / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,

DOLE on 14th-month pay for private sector workers: ‘Not yet’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, August 16th, 2018

 

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) welcomes the proposed 14th-month pay for workers in the private sector.

However, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the agency has no concrete position on the matter at this time because the agency still needs to clarify the provisions of the said measure from the administration.

“We are open. Wala pa kasi that’s the reason why we are going to consult both the management and Labor para we will take a position at the same time we also have to wait for the inputs of the economic advisers of the President,” Bello said.

He added it is also important to consult the employers about the proposed additional benefit.

“Malaking bagay sa kanila iyon pero iyon nga sinasabi ko kaiangan makuha natin ang panig ng mga employers at management. Kasi mamaya ibibigay natin tapos hindi makakayanan ng management at employers. Baka iyong intention to give our workers more benefits might result into less employment,” the Labor Secretary explained.

The DOLE is also awaiting a copy of the proposal before making any decision.

A proposal that seeks to allow allotment of 14th-month pay to private workers has been stalled in Senate for two years now.

The pending measure, Senate Bill No. 2 or the Act Requiring Employers in the Private Sector to pay 14th Month Pay was authored by Senate President Vicente Sotto III.

Bello agrees that the government must provide workers with additional compensation to cope up with the rising prices of commodities, the agency still has to contemplate on the impact of the matter to the economic stability of the country. – Aiko Miguel / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,