Comelec shortens voter registration hours, suspends satellite registration due to rise in COVID-19 cases

Maris Federez   •   March 21, 2021   •   420

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Saturday announced that voter registration hours will be shortened due to the increasing number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases nationwide.

The poll body also announced the temporary suspension of registration in all its satellite outlets.

“From March 22, 2021 until April 4, 2021, all offices of the Election Officer (OEOs) nationwide will accept applications for voter registration from Mondays to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The issuance of voter certification, however, will be until 5 p.m.” Comelec said in a press release dated March 20.

“The conduct of satellite registration in barangay halls, daycare centers, covered courts, and other satellite offices nationwide will likewise be suspended until further notice,” it added.

Disinfection activities will be conducted every Friday, Comelec said. However, in areas where local government units concerned prescribed a disinfection day other than Friday, affected OEOs will also be closed to the public on such day, in addition to the Comelec-prescribed disinfection day.

Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez reminded the public to comply with the strictly implemented health protocols when going to Comelec offices.

“Wearing of face mask and face shield is mandatory. To minimize physical contact, an online accomplishment of the application form and setting of appointment via irehistro.comelec.gov.ph is encouraged,” Jimenez said.

The Comelec official also advised those with appointments on days when voter registration is no longer conducted to contact their OEO for instructions or rebooking.

Prior to these adjustments, voter registration was conducted from Tuesdays to Saturdays, including holidays from 8 a.m to 5 p.m.

The voter registration period to participate in the May 2022 elections will be until Sept. 30, 2021, the statement said. —/mbmf

 

 

Umano’y nasayang na supply ng COVID-19 vaccine sa Cotabato, iniimbestigahan na — DOH

Robie de Guzman   •   May 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Iniimbestigahan na ng Department of Health (DOH) ang napaulat na pagkasayang umano ng supply ng COVID-19 vaccine na ipinadala sa bayan ng Makilala sa Cotabato.

Ayon kay Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire, nasa 348 doses ng Sinovac COVID-19 vaccines ang umano’y nasayang matapos mapabayaan sa loob ng freezer nang magkaroon ng power outage sa lugar.

Paalala naman ng kagawaran sa mga lokal na pamahalaan na bantayang maigi ang kanilang COVID-19 vaccine supply upang matiyak ang wastong temperature sa pag-iimbak nito.

“Hindi lang po isang beses isang araw ang ginagawang pagmo-monitor ng temperatura ng bakuna. Ito po ay ginagawa kada apat na oras,” ani Vergeire.

Nakipag-ugnayan na aniya sila sa lokal na pamahalaan kaugnay ng insidente.

“As to the sanctions, they were already advised and the local government has been coordinated with by our regional Office,” ang wika ni Vergeire. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

IATF upgrades mayors, governors in COVID-19 vaccination priority list

Robie de Guzman   •   May 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) has included mayors and governors in the top priority group for the government’s COVID-19 vaccination.

Under Resolution No. 115-B approved on Monday, the IATF said all governors and mayors or all local chief executives will now be among the priority group A1.5 for vaccination, “regardless of the risk classification of their respective local government units (LGU).

The country has around 1,634 provincial governors and city and municipal mayors.  They were previously under the fourth sector (A4 category) composed of essential workers.

The first sector includes healthcare workers, the second priority group is composed of senior citizens while the third sector includes persons with co-morbidities.

The Philippines has so far administered over two million vaccine doses since the government rolled out its immunization program on March 1.

Phl logs 5,790 new COVID-19 cases, bringing total to 1,143,963

Maris Federez   •   May 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Sunday confirmed that the Philippines has recorded 5,790 new cases of the coronavirus disease, bringing the active cases to 54,904.

This means that the country has recorded a total of 1,143, 963 COVID-19 cases as of Sunday, 4 pm.

The DOH also reported 7,541 new recoveries. This has brought the total number of Filipinos who recovered from the viral infection to 1,069,868.

The health department also logged 140 more deaths from the fatal disease,  DOHbringing the country’s COVID-19 death toll to 19,191.

The DOH said the low number of new cases was due to the low testing output of laboratories on May 14.

TAGS   ,

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.