Comelec sees rise in vote buying incidents ahead of May polls
by Marje Pelayo | Posted on Friday, May 3rd, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is all set for the upcoming May 13 midterm polls.
However, the agency fears of a possible rise in cases of vote buying especially in the local level.
Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez noted that even days prior to the elections, they have been receiving reports of vote buying using cash, grocery items and many other valuables from candidates to lure voters.
As always, the poll body advises the public to be wise in choosing their candidates.
“COMELEC has always said do not take the money at all,” Director Jimenez said.
“We believe that you should just say no to the bribe to the vote buying attempt and just vote according to your conscience,” he added.
Comelec, however, admits that guarding against vote buying is a huge challenge that’s why the agency is encouraging the public to report any incident of violations of the election law.
Meanwhile, election officers are doubling their efforts to prepare all election paraphernalia before the midterm polls in May.
Generator sets are already stationed in polling places across the country to serve as back-up source of electricity in any event of power interruptions or outages during the election process.
The poll body is also continuously conducting voter education programs to prepare the voters. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Aiko Miguel)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, June 21st, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Friday that the voter registration for the next election is expected to resume on August 1, 2019 and will run until September 30, 2019.
“Voter registration is expected to run Aug 1 to Sept 30, 2019, inclusive of Saturdays & holidays,”Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a post on Twitter.
Jimenez said approximately two million new voters are expected to register in the said period.
“SK (Sangguniang Kabataan) voters need not register anew upon turning eighteen; their names will automatically be transferred to the regular List of Voters,” he added.
Comelec data showed there were more than 61 million registered voters in the last 2019 May Midterm polls. More than 18 million of the said number are from the youth sector or the so-called Millennials and Generation Z, born in the mid-90s and early 2000s.
The poll body has been urging Filipino voters to go out and exercise their right to suffrage in order to elect honest and deserving officials.
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday maintained that the conduct of 2019 midterm elections remains fraud-free despite a report on a stolen ballot box in Datu Salibo, Maguindanao.
Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez issued the statement after a certain Sam Zailon Esmael posted on social media last June 14 several photos showing a ballot box allegedly found submerged in floodwater.
Esmael, who ran but lost in 2019 mayoral race in Datu Salibo town, claimed in his post that the ballot box was found submerged in a flooded area behind the municipal office by a passerby who claimed to have been fishing in the floodwaters. He said this is evidence of fraud.
Based on Comelec records, Datu Salibo has 9,504 registered voters. Esmael only garnered a total of 273 votes out of the estimated 5,000 total votes cast.
“As mandated by law, custody of ballot boxes after election day is with the city of municipal treasurer of the locality. Ali A. Mamoribid, the municipal treasurer of Datu Salibo asserts the ballot box found allegedly submerged and abandoned had been stolen from the municipal office by still unidentified persons,” Jimenez said.
“Contrary to allegations made by Esmael and in the absence of any proof of fraud, Datu Salibo Election officer Mary Ann Marohombsar maintains that the conduct of the May 13 polls in her jurisdiction was fraud-free,” he added.
The poll official assured that Mamoribid is presently in close coordination with Marohombsar and the Comelec in the province of Maguindanao in aid of investigation being conducted by the Philippine National Police.
Comelec also called on the public to be cautious of “malicious” allegations and “unfounded” claims, which he said, may be intended to taint the integrity of the recently concluded 2019 midterm polls.
“Actions are now being taken to set the facts straight and hold to account those who are responsible,” Jimenez assured.
by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019
Youth group, Millenials PH, has filed a petition with the Commission on Elections (Comelec) seeking to disqualify former National Youth Commission chairperson Ronald Cardema as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list.
According to Millenials PH, Cardema is already over the age limit to qualify as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list .
Based on their 17-page petition, Cardema is already 34 years old which is over the set age limit for the party-list representatives of the youth sector which is 25 to 30 years old.
“Makikita na may material misrepresentation talaga na nangyari and ang representation talaga ng Duterte Youth ay youth sector (There really is a material misrepresentation. The representation of the Duterte Youth is the youth sector),” according to Millenials PH Spokesperson Aunell Ross Angcos.
Former Comelec Chairman Atty. Sixto Brillantes Jr., who accompanied the youth group to file the petition said Comelec should withhold Cardema’s certificate of proclamation.
“Dapat matanggal na muna ito at pumalit na ang tunay, iyong legitimate. Kaya kami pumirma rito. Willing kami i-prosecute ito diretso dito sa Comelec hanggang sa Supreme Court kung kailangan (It should be withheld first and should be replaced with the legitimate [representative]. So we signed here. We are willing to prosecute this straight to Comelec up to the Supreme Court if needed),” he said.
Comelec Commissioner Rowena Guanzon previously said that the Duterte Youth party-list is registered as a youth sector party-list in the 2019 elections.
Meanwhile, Cardema defended that Duterte Youth is registered as a party-list group to uplift the youth and professional sector which has no age limit.
Duterte Youth won one seat in Congress. However, five of the party-list nominees withdrew their nomination, including Cardema’s wife, Ducielle Marie Suarez.
The Comelec poll body is currently conducting a hearing for the petition against Cardema.—AAC (with reports from April Cenedoza)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.