Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

COMELEC releases calendar of activities in line with the May 2018 barangay and SK elections

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, January 17th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has released a new calendar of activities for the synchronized barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections that will be held on the 14th of May this year.

Based on Comelec Resolution No. 10-26, the election period will begin on the 14th and will end on the 21st of May.

A gun ban will also take effect during the said period.

Candidates can file their certificates of candidacy from April 14 to 20, while the campaign period will begin on the 4th of May and will end on the 12th of the same month.

Campaigning will be prohibited on May 13, the day before the election.

On the day of voting, polling precincts will open at seven in the morning until three in the afternoon. – UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Brgy, SK elections to push through in May

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, February 7th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) assure that the long overdue barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections will finally push thru this year.

Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez also assured that the ballots are ready as they will be using the same ones originally printed for the October 2017 slate.

Manual counting will be implemented in the election because it has a small scope.

“Close to 85% ready, the bulk really of preparations has to be the printing, and with the printing done, we just need to print the additional registrants,” Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said.

The DILG will also launch Matino, Mahusay at Maasahang Barangay and SK Officials campaign to disseminate information regarding the elections.

“Maglalabas din po kami ng mga posters na pwedeng ipaskil sa mga barangay para po maging giya para sa ating mga kababayan sa pagboto sa susunod na eleksyon,” DILG Communication & Public Affairs Asec. Jonathan Malaya said.

(We will also have posters put up in barangays as a guide for the public on how to vote in the next election.)

The DILG once again advises the public to be wise in voting candidates to avoid having corrupt barangay and SK officials.

The barangay and SK elections will be held on May 14, 2018 with a P6-billion budget. – Rajel Adora | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , , ,

Senate issues subpoena vs. ex-poll chief Andy Bautista

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, January 24th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines – The Senate Committee on Banks, Financial Institutions and Currencies issued a subpoena against former Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Andres Bautista.

This was due to Bautista’s failure to attend a Senate hearing, Tuesday, regarding his alleged hidden wealth.

Based on the subpoena, Bautista is ordered to attend the next Senate inquiry on the 12th of February.

Should the former poll chief fail to appear anew, the Senate warned of citing him in contempt and ordering his arrest.

The committee of Senator Francis Escudero has been conducting hearings since August of last year in connection with accusations that Bautista violated the Anti-Money Laundering Act. – UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , ,

Mayor Guia Gomez still awaiting Comelec decision in relation to the recall elections

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, December 28th, 2017

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) upheld the petition for recall elections filed by the supporters of former San Juan Vice Mayor Francis Zamora against the city’s incumbent Mayor Guia Gomez.

However, until now, the camp of Mayor Guia has yet to receive a copy of the decision of the poll body.

Comelec, meanwhile, clarifies that the 3-day deadline for the Mayor’s submission of a motion for reconsideration will begin once Guia receives the said ruling.

“We have yet to receive proof that it has already been served to her. We are not counting the days. So I think, the latest we know about that is she was out of the country. So we’ll see what happens when the en banc resumes session next week,” Comelec Spokesperson Dir. James Jimenez said.

The said petition already has 30,000 signatures.

However, Sen. Joseph Victor Ejercito, the son of Mayor Gomez, claims San Juan City Rep. Ronaldo Zamora and his son Francis are bribing the residents to sign the said petition.

According to Comelec, they have yet to receive any appeals or complaints from San Juan residents that they are being coerced to support the recall election petition of the former vice mayor.

“Well the signatures are affixed by people and it’s the people’s choice if they will sign or not. I have not received any report or whatever. But in general, Comelec cannot really look into why a person signed unless they have proof, that they are coerced,” Jimenez said.

Comelec, meanwhile, assured that they are taking fair steps regarding the petition especially since the right of the people is at stake.

“Very important that you monitor the news and make sure na iyong pinaniwalaang balita ay iyong tunay lang — iyong galing lang sa Comelec. Makikita natin in the past, sa mga similar situations, may tendency na naglipanang misinformation. So kaunting ingat lang sa mga botante ng San Juan. Make sure that you are getting the information straight from authorized resources,” said Jimenez.

(Very important that you monitor the news and make sure that the news you hear is true — the one that comes from the Comelec itself. We can see that in the past, in similar situations, there is a tendency to spread misinformation. San Juan has a small voting population. Make sure that you are getting the information straight from authorized resources.) – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , , ,