Comelec marks successful voting simulation

Maris Federez   •   October 25, 2021   •   166

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) reported that the simulation on voting protocols conducted over the weekend was a success.

Comelec Deputy Executive Director for Operations Atty. Teopisto Elnas said the operational procedure on Saturday’s simulation held in San Juan City was well executed and the minimum health standards were strictly followed.

Upon entry to the polling center, voters went through the health screening process to check their temperature.

Those with high temperatures would have to proceed to the isolation polling place to vote and would be endorsed to the health officer on stand-by.

Those who had no problem during health screening were directed to the voter’s assistance desk to check their voting precinct.

“Pagpasok nakikita natin gaano kahalaga yong mga signages at saka yong mga paalala at saka yong mga instructional ano natin posters natin to the voters natin para ma-guide ang voters natin,” Elnas said.

“At saka nakikita din natin ang kahalagan  ng voters assistance desk wherein ina-assist yong mga botante in informing them kung ano yung specific cluster precinct nila, precinct sequence nila and of course yong specific location ng kanilang polling place,” he added.

An emergency accessible polling place was also set up for pregnant women, persons with disabilities, and senior citizens.

The voting precincts were well-ventilated and the number of voters allowed inside was limited to maintain physical distancing during the course of the simulation.

Rodrigo Dasigan, a volunteer test voter, hopes that the same discipline and order applied in the simulation will also be practiced on the actual day of the elections.

“Maganda siya, sana ganun din sa eleksyon. Magkaroon ng disiplina ang tao,” he said.

Comelec spokesperson Director James Jimenez noted how their prepared procedures have actually worked during the simulation process and how the said system will hold in the actual election day amid the pandemic.

“The next step really is to find out if they will hold up under volume. Pag dumami na yong taong gumagamit ng sistema kaya pa rin ba ng sistema? There will be other opportunities in the future to check volume,” Jimenez said.

“Sa ngayon hindi namin talaga inexpect na makikita natin yong impact ng volume. Ang point talaga natin dito is to see if our procedures will work and, so far, they have worked,” he further noted. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Dante Amento)

COMELEC, Palasyo may apela sa publiko kaugnay ng political caravans

Robie de Guzman   •   December 9, 2021

MANILA, Philippines ­– Umapela ang Commission on Elections (COMELEC) at Malakanyang sa publiko ng patuloy na pag-iingat sa gitna ng patuloy pa ring banta ng COVID-19 sa bansa.

Ginawa ng mga otoridad ang panawagan kasunod ng pagdumog ng maraming tao sa political caravan na isinagawa kamakailan ng tandem nina Bongbong Marcos at Sara Duterte sa kahabaan ng Commonwealth, Quezon City.

Batay sa mga lumabas na video at larawan, tila hindi na nasunod ang physical distancing at iba pang health protocols sa nasabing aktibidad.

Maraming motorista rin ang naapektuhan dahil sa pagbigat ng daloy ng trapiko.

Ayon kay COMELEC spokesperson James Jimenez, hindi exempted ang mga pulitiko sa istriktong pagsunod sa health protocols upang maiwasan ang muling paglobo ng kaso ng COVID-19 sa bansa.

“Sakop pa rin sila ng rules na yan. Nagpapaalala ang COMELEC, ‘wag ninyong i-endanger ang inyong mga supporters, because that’s what you are doing. Just so you want your crowds, your photo-ops, you are endangering the lives of the Filipinos who are supporting you,” ani Jimenez.

Payo naman ni acting presidential spokesperson at Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles sa mga pulitiko at partido, makipag-ugnayan muna sa mga lokal na pamahalaan upang magkaroon ng crowd control.

“Obviously, yung situation we are still on a public health emergency, we all have to be careful and all of these moves have to be coordinated para hindi naman masyadong magulo, hindi magkakaroon ng untoward incident. There are mechanisms in place pero kailangan lang talagang to follow these mechanisms,” ani Nograles.

Magugunitang nagpaalala na rin ang Department of the Interior and Local Government sa mga pulitiko at party-list na hindi pa pinapayagan sa ngayon ang political rallies.

Maaari lamang silang magsagawa ng special gatherings pero dapat ay may pahintulot ito ng lokal na pamahalaan at nasusunod ang allowed venue operating capacity at public health standards.

Papayagan rin ang political caravans basta’t naipapatupad ang physical distancing at gagawin ito sa limitadong oras.

Una nang humingi ng paumanhin ang kampo ni Bongbong Marcos sa mabigat na trapikong idinulot ng kanilang caravan matapos magpahayag ng pagkadismaya ang lokal na pamahalaan ng Quezon City sa umano’y kawalan ng koordinasyon ng mga organizer ng Marcos-Duterte caravan. (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

Comelec faces backlash for denying application of 2 party-list groups

Maris Federez   •   December 6, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has earned the ire of two party-list groups as the poll body rejected their applications for accreditation for the 2022 national and local elections.

The groups, Nurses United and Guardians, trooped in front of the Comelec office in Manila to question the poll body’s decision to deny their application.

The Comelec, in its ruling, said the group’s representation of its membership is erroneous.

The Nurses United accused the commission of being cold-hearted to the condition of Filipino workers in the health sector.

“Pinatay po nila yong pag-asa ng mga nurses at mga manggagawang pangkalusugan. Pag-asa na magkaroon ng tunay na representante na manggagawang pangkalusugan sa loob ng kongeso. Sapagkat napakarami pong isyu na dapat matugunan sa usapin po ng ating manggagawang pangkalusugan,” said Maristela Abenojar, 1st nominee, NU Partylist.

The group’s motion for reconsideration was also denied by the poll body.

The group asked Comelec to provide them with a copy of the resolution of their denial.

Meanwhile, the group, Guardians, questioned Comelec for denying them the opportunity to make it to the list.

Based on the Comelec ruling, the group failed to prove that the majority of its membership are poor and are senior citizens.

The group pointed out that they have been assisting the government in disaster and relief operations, among others.

“Pinapakita lang namin na nandito kami. Kami yong sinasabi ninyong walang representation,” said Bong Contapay, Guardians Partylist 1st Nominee.

Since they failed in their appeal to the poll body, the group said they will be filing an appeal to the Supreme Court to have their application be reviewed and considered.

Meanwhile, based on Comelec Resolution No. 10735, to date, 152 registered party-list groups have made it to the list to be raffled a designated number come December 10.

On the other hand, 107 applications were denied; while 13 applications still await the final decision of the poll body.

The final list of party-list groups will be released 15 days after all the designation numbers are raffled off. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Dante Amento)

CA confirms Bulay’s appointment to COMELEC

Robie de Guzman   •   December 1, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Appointments (CA) on Wednesday confirmed the nomination of lawyer Rey Bulay as a new Commission on Elections (COMELEC) commissioner.

Bulay got unanimous votes from the 25-man panel after the CA committee on constitutional commissions and offices conducted a hearing to determine his experience and capability to hold a sensitive government post.

President Rodrigo Duterte nominated Bulay to COMELEC in November to replace former COMELEC Commissioner Luie Tito Guia who retired in February 2020.

Prior to his appointment, Bulay served as Manila chief city prosecutor and a commissioner at the Presidential Commission on Good Government.

He also served as councilor of Muntinlupa City in the early part of his career as a public servant.

Bulay’s tenure in COMELEC will end on February 2, 2027.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.