COMELEC hopes President will already appoint new chairman and 2 commissioners

admin   •   March 26, 2015   •   1839

FILE PHOTO: Vacant seat a COMELEC En Banc (UNTV News)

MANILA, Philippines – A new head of the Commission on Audit (COA) was announced on Wednesday but the chairmanship of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) still remains vacant.

The position was vacated last February 2 when commissioner Sixto Brillantes Jr’s term expired.

2 commissioners also retired from service that day bringing up the number to 3 vacant post in the supposed to be a 7-man COMELEC en banc.

COMELEC Spokesman James Jimenez said the commission still functions with only 4 commissioners because it still comprised a quorum.

Jimenez, however, emphasized that they prefer a complete en banc.

“A complete COMELEC would be better but are we suffering from having only four hindi naman. We do have a quorum and we can do business now and so things are going as usual. The only real complication here is that none of the 4 can be absent anymore. They have to always be around,” he said.

Jimenez also noted that the commission is not functioning without a leader because Commissioner Christian Robert Lim serves as the acting chairman.

In terms of voting, the 4 commissioners must all agree for a resolution to pass.

The 2 divisions of COMELEC that handles election related cases both lacks a member.

Right now only 2 commissioners are sitting in both divisions.

“Mas marami kaming magtatrabaho mas gagaan ng kaunti. Kung mas marami mas masaya,” COMELEC Commissioner Luie Guia said.

(The load will be lighter if many are working. The more the merrier.)

Commissioner Luie Guia hopes that when the new chairman and commissioners are appointed, the transition period will not be complicated and the work will flow smoothly, especially in the preparations for the 2016 elections, which is just 14 months away. (Victor Cosare / UNTV News)

House OK on Barangay, SK polls deferment ‘no surprise,’ says Comelec

Robie de Guzman   •   November 4, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday said it is not surprised by the move of the House of Representatives to approve the bill seeking to defer the 2020 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections to December 5, 2022.

“This does not come as a surprise,” Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said in a message to reporters. “The COMELEC had, in fact, slowed down preparations for the Barangay Elections of 2020 in anticipation of this legislation.”

Jimenez said that with the impending approval of Congress on the measure, the poll body is now looking to focus on preparing for the next national and local elections.

“With the approval of the House and the looming decision of the Senate on the same matter, the COMELEC is looking forward to focusing on the process of re-starting the continuing registration and, in the longer term, preparing for the 2022 National and Local Elections,” he said.

Earlier in the day, the Lower House gave its nod to a proposal seeking to reschedule the local polls to allow more time for incumbent Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan officials to implement and complete their respective projects.

After the 2022 elections, subsequent barangay and SK elections will be held on the first Monday of December 2025 and every three years thereafter.

The amended version of the House bill is similar to the one that Senate passed on September 30.

President Rodrigo Duterte, during his fourth State of the Nation Address in July, called on Congress to postpone the village elections.

Comelec expects influx of registrants amid last-day of voter registration

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 30, 2019

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is expecting an influx of ‘last-minute’ registrants at the voter registration for the 2020 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.

Comelec will officially close the voter registration at 5:00 p.m. on Monday (September 30). Comelec Spokesperson Dir. James Jimenez said their office is prepared to handle the number of registrants.

“An influx of registrants is to be expected. The COMELEC has anticipated this, and we are confident that our employees in the field are prepared to handle the last-day registration scenario,” he said.

Based on Comelec Resolution 10549, Comelec will implement the following protocol for the last day of voter registration.

  • If there are still applicants lined up to register within the thirty (30) meter radius from the Office of the Election Officer (OEO) by 3:00 P.M. of September 30, 2019, their names will be promptly and consecutively listed down.
  • Each name will be announced repeatedly three (3) times in the order in which the applicants’ names were listed. Applicants who are not present when their names are called shall no longer be allowed to file their application.
  • When an applicant’s name is called and he/she is present, his/her application will be processed and his/her biometrics data will be captured. The process continues until all those listed shall have been processed.
  • An Express Lane is provided for Persons with Disabilities, Senior Citizens and Heavily Pregnant Applicants.

There are around 2.6 million registered voters in the country as of August 1 this year, according to Comelec’s data.—AAC

Comelec seeks P9.8-B budget for 2020

Maris Federez   •   September 16, 2019

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday (Sept. 16) asked, during the Senate budget hearing, for a P9.8-Billion budget for 2020.

The poll body said this will cover the P5.77-Billion budget for the 2020 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections (BSKE), which they have been preparing for despite President Rodrigo Duterte’s previous statement that he wants it postponed.

Comelec said Congress has to enact a law for the postponement of the BSKE.

“Ang pakiusap namin, your honor, is sana mapabilis iyong pagpasa ng batas otherwise we have no choice but to incur some expenses preparatory expenses especially so na tali po kami ng procurement law,” said Comelec Chair Sheriff Abas.

Comelec added that should the BSKE be postponed, they request for it not to be held close to the 2022 elections.

“If postponement happens it would be preferable if it would be one year before or one year after the May 2022 (elections). So, it could be either May 2021 or May 2023,” said Commissioner Antonio Kho, Jr.

The Senate budget hearing also focused on the low voter turn-out of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in the last election.

Of the five million OFWs who are qualified to vote, only 1.8 million were registered and only 18% of which actually voted.

Comelec pointed out the inadequate information dissemination for voters and the distance of the voting centers in some countries as reasons for the low voter turn-out. (from the report of Mai Bermudez) /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.