COMELEC denies alleged violation of PET’s precautionary protection order
admin • August 11, 2016 • 2628
MANILA — COMELEC Chairman Andres Bautista denies the allegation that the poll body has conducted stripping activity to the vote counting machines (VCM) used in the 2016 elections to be able to back up the data stored in the SD cards of the VCM.
This, after the camp of losing vice presidential candidate Ferdinand Marcos Jr. wrote COMELEC asking for an explanation on why they did not comply with the precautionary protection order (PPO) of the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) to preserve and protect all election paraphernalia relevant to Marcos’ electoral protest against Vice President Leni Robredo.
The letter states that COMELEC commenced with the stripping of the VCM last July 16 based on a resolution dated July 12.
The PPO of the PET was issued July 12.
“The order is clear. Do not touch it and yet any action to the contrary by the COMELEC, of course, it is an express and clear violation of the PET order,” Atty. Victor Rodriguez said, Marcos’ spokesperson.
Chairman Bautista says they have not touched a single machine in respect to the order issued by the tribunal.
However, the poll chief stressed that they need to back up the SD cards before returning the leased VCMs to its owner.
The vote counting machines must be returned to smartmatic before December.
This is the reason why the commission also wrote the PET seeking for clarification.
“If by December 1, hindi pa namin maibalik yung mga makina, ‘yung option to purchase will be triggered,” Bautista said.
(If by December 1, we are not yet able to return the machines, the option to purchase will be trigerred.)
“We will do this because the machines belong to Smartmatic, we just rented it. We need to back-up so we can keep it,” he added. — Victor Cosare / UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon hit House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano for his “totally uncalled for” remarks against Vice President Leni Robredo.
“I am saddened by his statement. Such comments are totally uncalled for, especially coming from the Speaker of the House,” Drilon said in a statement.
Cayetano earlier said that Robredo is “all talk” since her appointment as the co-chairperson of the inter-agency committee on anti-illegal drugs (ICAD).
President Rodrigo Duterte last week designated Robredo to co-lead the government’s body against illegal drugs.
Since then, she has been meeting with several groups to float her ideas to address the country’s drug problem, such as scrapping the “Oplan Tokhang” and implementing a health-based anti-drug campaign.
Instead of criticizing Robredo, Drilon said everyone should support the government’s war on drugs and set aside politics.
“It cannot be denied that illegal drug continues to be a problem, notwithstanding the over 5,000 deaths from Operation Tokhang,” he said.
“The gravity of this issue on illegal drugs calls for everyone to set aside politics. In the remaining two and a half years of the administration, we should all work together to solve this problem,” he added.
The senator also noted that even Malacañang has vowed full support for Robredo as she undertakes this task.
“We expect the allies of this administration to do no less,” he added.
Meanwhile, Robredo’s spokesperson and legal counsel, Barry Gutierrez, said the vice president has only begun doing her new task and told Cayetano to stop criticizing if he can’t help her do her job.
Gutierrez also said the entire government should unite to eradicate illegal drugs in the country.
MANILA, Philippines – Senator Panfilo Lacson has advised Vice President Leni Robredo to focus more on reducing the supply of illegal drugs in the country instead of joining an anti-drug operation.
Lacson gave the advice after he met with Robredo on Friday to discuss what she could do in her new role as the co-chairperson of the inter-agency committee on anti-illegal drugs (ICAD), which President Rodrigo Duterte handed to her last week.
The senator said Robredo’s presence in drug stings might compromise the operation due to security protocols as the country’s second-highest official.
Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency director-general Aaron Aquino earlier challenged Robredo to join one of the anti-drug operations, to which she accepted.
“Sa security pa lang, nakakalat na security niya, mate-telegraph ang operation. But they could make some arrangements paano isasagawa yan,” he told UNTV News in a phone interview.
“Pero from briefing sa jumpoff tapos sa mismong operation, di pwedeng pabayaan mo Bise Presidente ng bansa. Pangalawang pinakamataas na opisyal ng bansa natin, ilalagay mo ang buhay sa alanganin dahil susugod siya roon,” he added.
Lacson, a former chief of the Philippine National Police, said the focus of the drug war has been on the demand side which mostly targets drug users and peddlers on the street.
He pointed out that cutting the supply would make the street value of drugs prohibitive and take down big-time dealers.
“Kapag supply yung focus mo, concentrate mo, unang una magiging prohibitive ang presyo, Pangalawa, siyempre mga big-time drug dealers ang mga mahi-hit mo,” he said.
Lacson also said that further strengthening the process of intelligence gathering against those involved in the narcotics trade would also help in the anti-drug campaign.
He added that during his stint as PNP chief, he maintained close coordination with his foreign counterparts and drug enforcement units in the United States, Australia, Hong Kong, and Macau.
Lacson also said that he gave names of some people who could help Robredo with the law enforcement part of the job but did not elaborate on who these are. – RRD (with details from Nel Maribojoc)
MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Leni Robredo has started her duty as the newly appointed co-chairperson of the government’s anti-drug campaign.
First in her agenda was to convene all members of the Interagency Committee on Anti-Drugs (ICAD) together with her co-chair, Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Director General Aaron Aquino.
During the press briefing, Robredo called for a replacement of the Operation Tokhang or Oplan Tokhang as a method of apprehending drug personalities.
“Because of the many senseless killings that accompanied Operation Tokhang, parang naka-reach siya ng certain level of notoriety na kapag sinabing ‘Tokhang,’ it is a war against the poor,” Robredo said.
(Because of the many senseless killings that accompanied Operation Tokhang, it seems to have reached a certain level of notoriety that when you say ‘Tokhang,’ it is a war against the poor.)
“It is incumbent upon us na mabago iyong kaisipian na iyon. Baka panahon na para pag-isipan natin iyong pagpalit ng isang kampanya na mas epektibo pero walang namamatay senselessly,” she added.
(It is incumbent upon us to change that notion. Maybe it’s time to think about replacing this with a more effective campaign that is without the senseless killings.)
Robredo said she wants to believe that President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to hand over the anti-drug campaign implies that the Chief Executive is “open to listening to a fresh perspective about the entire campaign.”
And although she said she wants a vigorous campaign against illegal drugs, it should be within the bounds of the rule of law.
Robredo also emphasized the need to consider the problem of illegal drugs as criminality but a medical and sociological problem.
The Vice President requested to be briefed on the current status of the government’s anti-drug campaign and be provided with access to all data and documents in relation to the program.
“Gusto ko pong malaman kung saan ako magsisimula (I want to know where to start),” she said.
Despite being a staunch critic of the campaign, Robredo commended the ‘successes’ of the administration’s drug war specifically the recent haul of illegal drugs from various operations.
But Robredo expressed concern over the increasing number of drug dependents despite the efforts and resources that have been exerted by all anti-drug agencies working on the campaign.
“Why don’t we re-assess? Ano ba iyong mabubuting ginagawa? Para iyong mga effective na ginagawa ay ipagpapatuloy natin. Pero ano ba yung mga ginagawa na hindi nagbibigay sa atin ng desired results?” she said.
(Why don’t we re-assess? What are the good things being done? So that the effective ones will be continued. But let us think also of the things that we were doing that didn’t bring us our desired results.)
“Iyon ang pag-isipan natin (We should think about those things),” she said further.
After Robredo addressed the media, Aquino requested them to leave to give the Committee time to discuss important matters in relation to their duty.
The PDEA chief promised to take questions from the press alongside Robredo after the meeting.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.