Comelec begins printing of ballots for the barangay and SK elections
by UNTV News | Posted on Thursday, August 10th, 2017
Comelec has begun the printing of election ballots for the local polls this year.
Comelec chair Andres Bautista said they decided to begin the printing in preparation for the October polls because the decision to postpone it has not been finalized yet.
For his part, former Comelec chair and PPRCV chairman Atty. Rene Sarmiento said Comelec has done just right given the tight schedule.
“Pending the outcome of the talks on Congress dapat po handa po tayo at nag- iimprenta, baka gahulin po sa panahon, ma-postpone man. This is nothing new. This is not new for the Comelec,” Atty. Rene Sarmiento said.
Comelec will spend around Php200-million to complete the printing process.
“Since we are printing 77.2 so it’s Php3 per ballot that’s around 231 million, for the official ballots only,” Printing Committee director Atty. Genevieve Guevarra said.
As the printing begins, the poll body is prioritizing ballots for Batanes, Caraga, Cordillera Administrative Region, regions in the north and lastly, for Metro Manila.
The agency did not include in the list printing of ballots for Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) Region due to the ongoing armed conflict in the area.
Comelec targets to print a total of 100,000 to 1.5 million ballots every day for the month of August.
Come September, the agency plans to expedite the processing to accomplish two million daily output until October 9.
Overall, Comelec targets to complete the printing of the 77.2 million official ballots in the next 60 days. – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News and Rescue
by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019
Youth group, Millenials PH, has filed a petition with the Commission on Elections (Comelec) seeking to disqualify former National Youth Commission chairperson Ronald Cardema as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list.
According to Millenials PH, Cardema is already over the age limit to qualify as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list .
Based on their 17-page petition, Cardema is already 34 years old which is over the set age limit for the party-list representatives of the youth sector which is 25 to 30 years old.
“Makikita na may material misrepresentation talaga na nangyari and ang representation talaga ng Duterte Youth ay youth sector (There really is a material misrepresentation. The representation of the Duterte Youth is the youth sector),” according to Millenials PH Spokesperson Aunell Ross Angcos.
Former Comelec Chairman Atty. Sixto Brillantes Jr., who accompanied the youth group to file the petition said Comelec should withhold Cardema’s certificate of proclamation.
“Dapat matanggal na muna ito at pumalit na ang tunay, iyong legitimate. Kaya kami pumirma rito. Willing kami i-prosecute ito diretso dito sa Comelec hanggang sa Supreme Court kung kailangan (It should be withheld first and should be replaced with the legitimate [representative]. So we signed here. We are willing to prosecute this straight to Comelec up to the Supreme Court if needed),” he said.
Comelec Commissioner Rowena Guanzon previously said that the Duterte Youth party-list is registered as a youth sector party-list in the 2019 elections.
Meanwhile, Cardema defended that Duterte Youth is registered as a party-list group to uplift the youth and professional sector which has no age limit.
Duterte Youth won one seat in Congress. However, five of the party-list nominees withdrew their nomination, including Cardema’s wife, Ducielle Marie Suarez.
The Comelec poll body is currently conducting a hearing for the petition against Cardema.—AAC (with reports from April Cenedoza)
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Thursday, June 13th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – At least five of the 12 winners in the 2019 Senatorial race have filed their Statement of Campaign Expenditures (SOCE) before the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Thursday, June 13.
Senators Cynthia Villar and Nancy Binay led the filing of the SOCE based on Comelec records.
Villar, who clinched the number one spot with more than 25 million votes, filed her campaign expense report on June 11 or two days before the deadline set by Comelec.
Binay, who finished 12th in the race also filed her SOCE last June 11.
Poe, who nestled at the second spot, submitted her report in the afternoon of June 13, as well as Senators-elect Bong Go and Pia Cayetano, who finished third and fourth in the Senate race, respectively.
Comelec said that most of the winning and losing candidates in the May midterm polls were able to beat the SOCE filing deadline.
Section 14 of Republic Act 1766 requires every candidate and political party to file with the Commission the full, true and itemized Soce within 30 days after the election day.
Also required to file such document are those whose campaigns were self-funded, those who did not incur any expenditure, and those who did not pursue their campaign activities even after filing their candidacies or those who withdrew their candidacies.
The poll body said that based on Comelec resolution 10505, the office of an elected candidate who failed to submit the required documents shall be considered vacant pursuant to Section 11 of the Omnibus Election Code until he/she has complied within six months from the proclamation.
“They cannot assume office until they submitted their Statement of Contribution and Expenditures,” said Atty. Efraim Bag-id, acting director of Comelec campaign finance office.
The poll body emphasized the importance of the filing of SOCE as this will help them determine whether candidates and political parties followed the set campaign spending limits.
The Comelec resolution also states that winning candidates and party-lists with late SOCE filing but still within the period of six months shall be charged with lower administrative fines, depending on the position sought by the candidate.
Losing candidates, meanwhile, who failed to submit their SOCE will be meted out an administrative fine of P10,000.
“Iyong mga kandidato na natalo at hindi nakapagsumite ng kanilang Soce, depende po ito kung first timer po sila o second timer. Kapag first timer, administrative po iyan. Kapag 2 or more na beses na hindi sila nakapag- file ng kanilang SOCE e maliban sa administrative fine, they are perpetually disqualified to hold public office whether elective or appointed position,” Bag-id said.
As of 2 p.m. Thursday, 20 candidates for the Senate., 50 party-list groups and three political parties have already filed their Soce.
Comelec said other candidates and political parties may submit their Soce before the campaign finance office until 8 p.m. of June 13. (with details from Aiko Miguel)
by Maris Federez | Posted on Monday, June 10th, 2019
The Philippines and Japan are expected to sign a $202.04-million infrastructure loan agreement on the sidelines of a high-level joint committee meeting between the two countries next week (June 18).
In its statement released on Sunday (June 9), the Department of Finance (DoF) said the deal will be focused on the Road Network Development Project in Conflict-Affected Areas in Mindanao.
Finance Secretary Carlos “Sonny” Dominguez and Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia will represent the Philippines, while Dr. Hiroto Izumi, special adviser to Japan Prime Minister Abe Shinzo, will lead the Japanese delegation in their meeting in New Clark City, Pampanga.
The Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) said the project involves the building, rehabilitation and improvement of the 178.43-kilometer road network in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao and neighboring regions.
The DoF also said that in the said June 18 meeting, Philippine and Japanese officials are expected to resume discussions on the progress of Japan-funded infrastructure projects under the government’s “Build, Build, Build” infrastructure program.
They are also expected to deliberate on the other areas of the economic cooperation between Manila and Tokyo.
The meeting which will be held at New Clark City in Pampanga would be the eighth held by the high-level joint committee since it was first convened in March 2017.
The Finance Department said nine other loan agreements with Japan were signed between October 2016 and January 2019 with a combined amount of 398.82 billion yen (or about P189.92 billion). These include the following:
Maritime Safety Capability Improvement Project for the Philippine Coast Guard (Phase II)
Harnessing Agribusiness Opportunities through Robust and Vibrant Entrepreneurship Supportive of Peaceful Transformation (HARVEST)
Cavite Industrial Area Flood Risk Management Project
Arterial Road Bypass Project (Phase III) in Bulacan
New Bohol Airport Construction and Sustainable Environment Protection Project (II)
Metro Rail Transit Line 3 Rehabilitation Project
Pasig-Marikina River Channel Improvement Project (Phase IV)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.