Colleges, universities capable of flexible learning tools may open classes in August – CHED

Robie de Guzman   •   May 1, 2020   •   942

MANILA, Philippines – Colleges and universities that can handle flexible learning tools may start the school year 2020-2021 in August, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) said.

CHED Chairperson Prospero de Vera made the proposal amid uncertainties in the resumption of classes due to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis.

De Vera said flexible learning is a combination of online and offline learning systems where students can access lectures and activities while at home. He added that this method does not necessarily require internet connectivity and digital technology.

“HEIs (Higher Education Institutions) that are using flexible learning can open in August 2020… They can actually continue their semesters even if there’s an ECQ because it is completely online and therefore there is no problem of social distancing and others,” he said during the virtual meeting of the House Committee on Higher and Technical Education on Thursday.

De Vera said they are willing to assist colleges and universities shift to flexible learning through online training and capacity building of faculty members.

They will also help HEIs to set up the learning management system for the resources and materials they will need to hold classes.

De Vera urged colleges and universities to immediately assess their situation and evaluate if they will be able to handle the implementation of flexible learning.

“So kapag alam na nila yung connectivity situation, when they design, when they redesign their curriculum and decide how much offline or online they would do, it will now be anchored on the connectivity reality,” he said.

Other HEIs that are planning to continue with the traditional or residential face-to-face learning can open the school year in September or even later in areas that are under modified ECQ, De Vera said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Vincent Arboleda)

PH COVID-19 cases exceeds 380,000; daily tally records 1,803 new cases

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 31, 2020

COVID-19 Testing

The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday (October 31) recorded 1,803 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the country’s total tally to 380,729 with 42,462 active cases.

The total recovery count rose to 331,046 with the addition of 606 recoveries while the death toll climbed to 7,221 with 36 new deaths reported.

From the active cases, the Health Department reported that 83.2% of them are experiencing mild symptoms, 11.3% are asymptomatic while 3.5% and 1.9% are critical and severe cases.

Rizal recorded the highest number of new COVID-19 cases in cities and provinces with 97 new cases, followed by Davao City with 93 cases, and Quezon City with 86 cases.

Meanwhile the DOH said they removed 7 duplicates from the total case count where 3 were recovered cases. There were also 14 cases previously tagged as recovered but were reclassified as deaths.

The DOH also reported 12 labs were not able to submit their data to the COVID-19 Data Repository System (CDRS) on October 30, 2020. AAC

TAGS   

Manila LGU to open drive-through RFID installation

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 30, 2020

The Manila City government is set to launch the RFID Sticker Caravan which offers drive-through installation of Radio-frequency identification stickers.

MAHALAGANG ANUNSYO: Bilang suporta sa Department of Transportation (DOTr) Order 2020-012 na naglalayong gawing ‘cashless…

Posted by Manila Public Information Office on Wednesday, October 28, 2020

The caravan will be held from October 31 to November 1 at the Kartilya ng Katipunan near Manila City Hall in Ermita, Manila. The drive-through RFID installation will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will accommodate class 1 vehicles which are cars, SUVs and passenger vans only.

Motorists do not need to prepare any documents but must prepare P200 for the initial load. Authorities also advised motorists to wear face masks and face shields. AAC

Davao City to reimpose 24-hour liquor ban starting Nov. 2

Robie de Guzman   •   October 30, 2020

A 24-hour liquor ban will be reimposed in Davao City from November 2 to December 31, Mayor Sara Duterte said.

Under Executive Order No. 59, Duterte ordered the ban of sale, serving, and consumption of alcoholic beverages in public effective 5 a.m. of November 2.

The reimposition of the liquor ban stemmed from the results of City Health Office contact tracing of patients positive of the coronavirus showing their exposure during drinking sessions. 

“There is an urgent need to reimpose a 24-hour liquor ban in Davao City to prevent the exposure of individuals to the COVID-19 virus because of their unbridled drinking sessions,” Duterte said in the order. 

Mayor Sara also emphasized the necessity to reimpose the 24-hour liquor ban as another preventive step to control gatherings and stop the cases from spiking because the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) and Temporary Treatment and Monitoring Facilities (TTMFs) has reached their full occupancy of the COVID-19.

To recall, Duterte lifted the 24-hour liquor ban on September 21 after six months of restrictive community quarantine.

The city government warned to impose a one strike rule on establishments violating the liquor ban.

The city’s Vices Regulation Unit and Barangay Council were also tasked to conduct vigorous surveillance of all restaurants, fast-food, sari-sari stores, and similar establishments and must immediately move for the closure of an establishment after a single violation is properly documented.

TAGS   ,

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.