Breaking News
  • Kuwait expels Philippine ambassador amid diplomatic row
Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

CNN hails Duterte as ‘Asia’s Big Winner’

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, January 6th, 2017

The Malacañang is delighted with the report of international media agencies on the accomplishment of President Rodrigo Duterte (in photo) last year.

Before the year 2016 ended, American television network CNN chose President Rodrigo Duterte as the ‘Big Winner in Asia’.

According to the article published by CNN, the unusual measures of the leader are indications of changes, weighing diplomatic ties and the improvement in the livelihood of the Filipino people.

Pres. Duterte has also been a newsmaker in Japan.

In a published article by Japan Times, an English language newspaper, some of the challenges facing Duterte are economic growth and balancing diplomatic ties between United States and China.

Malacañang is delighted with the reports of international media agencies on the President’s accomplishments last year.

“It’s heartening to know that certain media agencies are able to notice the good things the President is doing,” said Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella.

Just this week, Pres. Duterte was hailed as the ‘Person of the Year 2016‘ by the  prestigious Hong Kong newsweekly, Yazhou Zhoukan.

Last month, Pres. Duterte was included in the 2016 ranking of the Forbes most powerful people. — Leslie Longboen | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Palace: Trump’s support on Duterte’s war on drugs, more important vs. reports

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Monday, April 23rd, 2018

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has refused to pay attention to the latest report of US State Department that expresses alarm over President Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs”.

Based on the report, the cases of extrajudicial killings are the “chief human rights concern” in the Philippines which shows “a sharp rise with the onset of the anti-drug campaign in 2016”.

But Presidential Spokesperson  Harry Roque said the report directly contradicts US President Donald Trump’s statements which support the anti-drug war.

“Given what we heard from President Trump, let’s just say it exists but we prefer to hold on to the words of President Trump. He is, after all, the president,” Roque said. — UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Duterte wants pursuit of ‘labor-only contracting’ firms

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, April 20th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: PHL President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (Cerilo Ebrano / Photoville International)

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has directed Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III to submit a report on companies engaged in labor-only contracting.

These are companies that implement repeated short-term employment contracts better known as “cabo” and 5-5-5 schemes.

The president gave the labor department 30 days to submit the report to the Office of the President.

The National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC) was also ordered to coordinate with the labor secretary in relation to the order.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, this is still part of the president’s promise.

“To crack down on them because the promise was to end 555 — end. Ang promise ng Pangulo, habang ganiyan ang depinisyon ng contractualization na hindi lahat ay bawal, kung hindi iyong mga cabo lamang, sisiguraduhin ni Presidente wala talagang 555 at wala talagang cabo,” said the presidential spokesperson.

(To crack down on them because the promise was to end 555 — end.  The president promised, while the definition of contractualization says not everything is prohibited but only “cabo”, the president will ensure that there will be no more 555 and cabo schemes.)

On Thursday, Malacañang said the president will no longer sign an executive order banning contractualization of workers.

Roque said it is the duty of the Congress to enact laws that will ban all types of contract labor in the country.

Duterte, however, will possibly certify the proposed bill as urgent to speed up its progress in Congress. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

PDP-Laban reveals senatorial slate for 2019 polls

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Friday, April 20th, 2018

MANILA, Philippines — Ruling party PDP-Laban has bared its senatorial line-up which includes 20 personalities for the 2019 midterm elections.

Among them are six re-electionists namely, Senators Grace Poe, Sonny Angara, Cynthia Villar, JV Ejercito, Nancy Binay and Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III.

The line-up is also composed of Representatives Ace Barbers, Albee Benitez, Karlo Nograles, Zajid Mangudadatu, Geraldine Roman, Reynaldo Umali and Pia Cayetano.

Also included in the slate are secretaries Special Assistant to the President Secretary Bong Go, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque,  presidential political adviser Francis Tolentino, communications assistant secretary Mocha Uson, musician Freddie Aguilar, former interior secretary Raffy Alunan and TV reporter Jiggy Manicad.

According to the Senate president, the senatorial bets should express their support to the platforms of the political party.

“Titingnan natin ang service to the party. Tulungan naman ang partido. Alam mo number one advocacy namin federalism. Dapat magpakita sila na active sila sa federalism movement,” said Pimentel.

(We will look at their service to the party. The party is very supportive. Our number one advocacy is federalism. Members should show their active support to the federalism movement.)

The Senate president also said that the line-up will undergo the scrutiny of the party chairman, President Rodrigo Duterte.

The final line-up of the party’s senatorial slate is set to be released in September. — UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,