Clearing operations, not competition among local chief execs – Mayor Isko
Maris Federez • September 18, 2019 • 608
In just a little over a week, the 60-day period that the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has set for the local chief executives to clean the streets of Metro Manila will come to an end.
But Manila mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso has admitted that they have a long way to go to completely clean the streets of the almost 900 barangays in the city.
“I’m not doing it for my fellow mayors, I’m doing it for the people of Manila,” he said.
Mayor Isko, however, stated that he is happy with the accomplishments of other cities in Metro Manila that have completed clearing their streets of obstructions.
“I’m happy for them but this is not a competition among mayors,” he added.
The DILG, however, that no Metro Manila cities had been 100% compliant in clearing the streets.
Moreno admitted that several areas in Manila, such as Quiapo and Tondo, remain a big problem for him.
But he assured that he will not waver from his resolve.
“Whether mameet namin o hindi naman namin mameet, it doesn’t matter because we will continue.”
Moreno pointed to the lack of governance caused the return of the obstructions in some areas in Manila in the past.
The local chief executive, however, warned that he will file charges against the barangay officials who will fail to accomplish their tasks and submit the inventories of their areas of concern. (from the report of Harlene Delgado) /mbmf
The Department of the Inteior and Local Government (DILG) has clarified that only eight barangays are covered by the mandatory evacuation.
In a statement, the DILG said the order to implement a mandatory evacuation in eight barangays in Tagaytay City is based on the recommendation of the Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS).
“Both the DILG and NDRRMC acted upon the strong representations of the PHIVOLCS that these barangays are susceptible to volcanic tsunami, ballistic projectiles, and base surge. So, as early as Monday, we already issued the mandatory evacuation order,” said DILG undersecretary and spokesperson, Jonathan Malaya.
The eight barangays from Tagaytay are Bagong Tubig, Kaybagal South (Pob)., Maharlika West, Sambong, San Jose, Silang Junction South, Maharlika East, and Tolentino East.
“We are not the scientific experts here, its the DOST. So, until and unless PHIVOLCS removes these eight barangays from the list of susceptible barangays, the DILG has no choice but to insist that mandatory evacuation should be implemented immediately,” he added.
Malaya reiterated that the mandatory evacuation does not cover all barangays in Tagaytay City. He also said that business establishments in other areas in city may continue their operation.—AAC
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) announced that authorities have evacuated almost all of the residents in the 14-kilometer radius danger zone of the Taal Volcano.
DILG Sec. Eduardo Año said they have already evacuated 98-percent of the residents as evacuation measures are still being done for those who have yet to respond to the government’s call to leave their homes.
Año thanked the police, military and other law enforcement agency personnel for maintaining order in the affected areas in lockdown and where total evacuation is being implemented.
The official also said that they have yet to receive reports of looting and that zero-casualty is being maintained in the affected areas of the Taal eruption.
“The three cases reported in media were mainly due to the pre-existing medical condition and not directly related to the eruption,” Año said. — (with details from Lea Ylagan) /mbmf
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said business establishments in Tagaytay City are still not allowed to operate due to the level 4 alert status in the Taal region.
The DILG said establishment who are caught operating within the 14-kilometer danger zone of the Taal volcano might have their business permit revoked or suspended.
“No commercial establishments until or unless this issue of alert level 4 has been downgraded,” according to DILG Undersecretary Epimaco Densing.
Densing also said that the DILG might coordinate with the Philippine National Police (PNP) to close establishments proven to be operating within the 14-kilometer danger zone.
Tourists are also discouraged to visit Tagaytay City.
“We are discouraging, actually, tourists or locals to go up to Tagaytay kasi nasa alert level 4. Mamaya pag-akyat nila baka sumabog, makakadagdag pa sila sa tutulungan o poprotektahan (because it is in alert level 4.It [volcano] might erupt and the tourist might be added to the people needed to be rescued),” he said.
Meanwhile, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHOVOLCS) said they cannot just lift or downgrade Alert Level 4 due to the possibility of a massive explosive eruption within hours or days remains high .—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.