MANILA, Philippines – Classes for the school year 2019 to 2020 will resume on June 3, Department of Education (DepEd) Secretary Leonor Briones said on Wednesday.
Briones said more 27 million learners from kindergarten to Grade 12 are expected to enroll for the incoming school year, which is higher than last year’s 27,018,509 number of enrollees.
“Ang ina-anticipate nating enrollment, parami nang parami. 27,817,737 both learners from kindergarten to grade 12, both public and private,” she said during a press briefing in Malacañang.
Briones added that many of the expected enrollees are from public schools but she did not provide the specific number.
In preparation for the school opening this June, a nationwide “Brigada Eskwela” is being conducted by DepEd in schools across the country.
“Brigada Eskwela,” which national kick-off and caravan was held in Cavite on May 16, is the National Schools Maintenance Week devoted to preparing classrooms and other school facilities for the opening of the school year.
The “Brigada Eskwela” will run from May 20 to 25, based on DepEd memorandum No. 036.
Briones said the school year 2019-2020 will end on April 3, 2020, while the holiday break will be early from December 15, 2019 until January 6, 2020. (with details from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Department of Education (DepEd) Undersecretary Alain Pascua on Friday confirmed he has tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
“As a government official, it is my duty to inform the public that I tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, December 10,” Pascua said in a statement.
He said he was exposed to a COVID-19 positive individual last Friday, December 4, and experienced mild symptoms on Tuesday, December 8.
He said he is currently in a hospital for quarantine procedures and medical observation.
“I have already advised my staff who had close contact with me last week to self-quarantine as an extra precautionary measure the central office has also coordinated with local health authorities to conduct contact tracing and other necessary interventions to ensure the safety of everyone,” he said.
Pascua, however, said that he will continue to carry out his duties for the department and will still attend meetings virtually and “make necessary decisions for the Office of the Undersecretary for Administration.”
Units under his watch will also continue to execute their mandates and functions, he added.
“Nonetheless, this may serve as a reminder for everyone not to be complacent in protecting themselves against the virus, especially during this holiday season,” he said.
“We must continue following health protocols such as wearing masks, physical distancing, and washing of hands,” he added.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education has stressed that it will only allow the conduct of face-to-face classes upon the approval of President Rodrigo Duterte and the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID).
Education Secretary Leonor Briones said the government’s policy prohibiting in-person classes will remain amid the coronavirus pandemic, although the department is looking into the possibility of reintroducing face-to-face classes next year.
She said a report to be submitted to the president on the opening of classes and DepEd’s recommendations is being finalized.
“We are preparing a report for the President on our current experience with the opening of classes, at klaro naman na kung magkaroon ng face to face, it will be very limited to areas which are absolutely safe. There will be conditions from the Department of Health; there will also be conditions coming from us. Hindi po lahat-lahat, [hindi] sabay-sabay iyan na mag-face to face, kung payag si President,” Briones said.
“At saka, depende sa approach iyan, kasi iyong number of students, etc. So we are [also] now looking into that,” she added.
The school year opened last October 5 with blended forms of learning through self-learning modules, internet and TV- and radio-based instructions.
The DepEd chief also reiterated its earlier statement that it did not approve any localized and limited face-to-face learning workshops.
“Uulitin ko, definitely not this year at definitely walang mga arrangements right now with kung sinumang mga grupo na magpi-face to face at this time because the President has not made any pronouncement at all. Pero [patuloy kaming] magri-report kami sa kaniya,” Briones said.
Meanwhile, the Education chief also directed a study on reconceptualizing learning spaces post-COVID, which include not just classroom, but homes, community spaces, and virtual space.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education (DepEd) on Tuesday distanced itself from the community learning hub project led by the Office of the Vice President (OVP), stressing that the government’s no face-to-face classes policy remains amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Education Secretary Leonor Briones made the statement amid the operation of community learning hubs in various localities in the country.
These hubs are places that provide support for students who may not have access to computers, stable internet connection and other equipment required for online learning and modular distance learning amid the pandemic.
“Ang polisiya namin, dahil sinusunod namin ang utos ng Presidente, hindi natin yan ina-allow,” Briones said.
“Wala naman sa authority ng DepEd na mag-anunsyo ng ganung klase na i-reverse natin ang sinasabi ng Presidente,” she added.
In October, Vice President Leni Robredo led the launching of a community learning hub in Pasig City. The facility only allows entry to a total of 10 persons, including six students, at a time.
Persons entering the hub are required to strictly observe health and safety protocols to prevent the possible transmission of COVID-19.
According to Briones, a request for the establishment of these hubs was sent by the OVP, but stressed that the DepEd is not involved in such a move.
“Last August, nag-request ang office ng Vice President na nagsasabi na sina-suggest nila ang project na yan. Tapos, sinagot namin. Humingi kami ng details. Tapos, on record yan lahat at saka binigyan namin ng kopya ang President at saka ang Executive Secretary ng aming mga sagot. So, on record yan lahat,” the DepEd chief said.
Briones said that since DepEd does not allow face-to-face classes, the OVP directly coordinated with the local government units (LGU).
“So ang sitwasyon ngayon, halimbawa sa Pasig, nag-coordinate sila sa LGU ng Pasig dahil hindi naman in-approve ng Division superintendent ‘yun,” she said.
The DepEd chief said the OVP also planned to open a similar hub in Caloocan City but it was not approved by the LGU.
It also coordinated with the Taytay LGU in Rizal but Briones said the DepEd is not involved in the initiative. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.