City of Manila’s disaster resilience a ‘total failure’ – Mayor discovers
Marje Pelayo • July 3, 2019 • 2828
MANILA, Philippines – Newly-elected mayor Francisco Domagoso admits they are not ready in case a strong earthquake or the so called ‘Big One’ strikes the city.
“The City of Manila is not ready. On record. Sila ang may sabi noon, (That’s what they said),” Domagoso said referring to the local disaster risk reduction management officials following a meeting with them on his second day in office on Tuesday (July 2).
Mayor ‘Isko’ ordered the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) to draft a concrete disaster management plan or a detailed hazard map to prepare the city for potential dangers.
During the meeting, Domagoso discovered a lot of problems in terms of the city’s disaster preparedness and response.
The city lacks plans and programs for risk reduction management.
There are no measures in place to solve the decade long flood problems.
The city’s disaster response command center lacks equipment, the office looks shabby and neglected.
The CCTV cameras only cover areas within the city hall and Carriedo area.
Emergency personnel admitted they have no established emergency hotline and they usually use their personal numbers to contact the public in times of need.
The CDRRMO also lacks personnel and the city falls short in resources when it comes to health care.
According to the overall assessment report of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), the city is considered a ‘total failure’ when it comes to disaster preparedness and response.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) noted the importance of prioritizing disaster resiliency in all of Manila especially its buildings and structures as it is a city prone to hazards.
“The biggest stumbling block would be the resilience of the structures. Iyon ang pinakaunang kailangang gawin. Ayusin ang mga pwedeng bumagsak na mga bahay (That’s the very first thing that needs to be addressed – fix the houses that are damage prone),” explained DOST Undersecretary and PHIVOLCS administrator Renato Solidum.
“Marami silang (There’s a lot of) hazards that need to be integrated in their preparedness,” he noted.
Mayor Domagoso warned to dismiss all concerned DRRMO officials if they will not act on the matter at the soonest possible time.
“I will fire you if you don’t admit that we are not ready,” Mayor Domagoso told them.
“You have to be honest with yourself. You can even challenge me at the Civil Service (Commission) if I fire you,” he concluded. – with reports from April Cenedoza
MANILA, Philippines – After his 100 days in office, Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso flexed on the increase in the city government’s revenue with major contributions coming from collected parking fees.
This, despite the limited spaces that the city government allotted for private parking in response to the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte of clearing public roads of illegally parked vehicles.
According to the result of the Department of the Interior and Local Government’s (DILG) validation, local government units (LGUs) in terms of compliance to the President’s directive, the city of Manila received ‘medium compliance’ rating in road clearing.
Based on records of the Manila PIO, the city was able to collect P54.4 million from parking fees alone within the period of July to September 2019.
This amount is way higher than that of last year which is only P12.5 million.
“Nagtanggal pa tayo ng mga parkable space. Dapat kung nagtanggal tayo ng parkable space, dapat mas bumaba (We limited the areas allowed for parking. If that’s the case, then collections should have been reduced also),” Domagoso said.
“Iyon pong mga ibinabayad ninyo sa mga panahon ngayon, iyan ay talagang papapasukin sa kaban ng bayan (What you are paying will be sent to the city government’s treasury),” he added.
Manila charges P20 for the first 3 hours of parking for light vehicles with P15 additional fee for every succeeding hour.
For medium-sized vehicles like vans and delivery trucks, the city government charges an initial amount of P30 pesos and an additional P20 for every succeeding hour.
For heavy vehicles like buses and 10-wheeled trucks, the charge is P60 for the initial three hours and an additional P40 pesos for every succeeding hour.
The deadline for the road clearing operation already lapsed last month but the city government opted to carry on with the operations to clear the roads from obstructions. – MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)
The man who was caught in a viral video for robbing a trucker in Road-10 Tondo, Manila was arrested by authorities on Sunday (October 6).
The Manila Police District Special Mayor’s Reaction Team (MPD-SMaRT) arrested Christopher Dumapi alias “Toper” during an anti-criminality operation on Mel Lopez Boulevard.
Dumapi is one of the four suspects who robbed a trucker on Saturday (October 5). Authorities identified the remaining suspects as Jack Dumapi, Junjun Barola, and Jimwell Jimenez.
On Monday, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso expressed his gratitude for the netizens who took the video of the crime.
“Maraming salamat sa iyo. Kung hindi dahil sa’yo, hindi mo inupload, hindi natin mabibigyan ng hustisya ang ginawang pang-aabuso sa driver ng truck (Thank you. If not for you, there will be no justice for the truck driver),” he said.
Meanwhile, the Manila Mayor also called out the parents of the suspects to surrender their sons and face justice.
“Sa mga magulang ng mga ito, hawak na po namin ang mga pangalan. Hinahanap na po kayo ng mga alagad ng batas. Hinahanap po kayo (To the parents of these individuals, we have the names [of your sons]. Authorities are now looking for them),” he added.—AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.