Malacañang suspends classes in all levels in Metro Manila, March 20, due to imminent threats posed by some groups.
Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688
CIDG arrests fake presidential brother
by UNTV | Posted on Wednesday, March 14th, 2018
CIDG Director Roel Obusan presents to the media the suspect named Atty. Jose Roa Matias III who pose as a half-brother of President Rodrigo Duterte.
MANILA, Philippines —The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) has arrested a man who claimed to be a staunch supporter of President Rodrigo Duterte’s federalism campaign.
The suspect introduced himself as Atty. Jose Roa Matias III, and posing as a half-brother of the President.
CIDG Director Roel Obusan said Matias was asking money from aspiring politicians specifically those who want to be assigned as officer-in-charge of a barangay since the barangay elections will be postponed.
“Kung may humihingi sa inyo ng pera para maging OIC kayo ng barangay kapitan o kagawad o maging mayor, ito yung coordinators nila sa bawat sulok ng Pilipinas. Ang kanilang organisasyon ay hindi ligal, at ang kanilang ginagawa ay walang katotohanan,” said Obusan.
(If someone has been soliciting money in exchange for a position as OIC, barangay captain, councilor or mayor, these are their coordinators in every corner of the Philippines. Their organization is illegal and their operations are all lies.)
Matias was said to be asking P75,000 for the processing of their documents at the Office of the Special Assistant to the President.
But the suspect denied the allegations.
“Hindi po ako nagpapanggap. May pangalan po akong tunay. Yung mga tao nga ang may kagustuhan nun na gawin yun. Hindi ako,” said Matias.
(I am not an impostor. I have a real name. It’s the people who asked me to do it. It wasn’t my idea.)
The 57 year-old suspect was arrested in an entrapment operation in Deva Cruz Resort, Sta. Felomina, San Pablo City, Laguna last Thursday.
Matias is now facing swindling or estafa, usurpation of authority, alarm and scandal cases. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines — When asked about President Rodrigo Duterte’s stand on the divorce bill being pushed in Congress, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said: “Ang Presidente po ay tutol sa divorce. Ang sabi niya kawawa ang mga anak. At kung magkakaroon ng divorce, mawawalan ng karapatang magsampa ng kaso yung mga asawa na pinabayaan ng mga asawa nila matapos silang mag divorce.”
(The President is against divorce. He said children wouls suffer the most. Also, if there is divorce, it will deprive abandoned spouses the right to file charges after they’ve been divorced.)
Roque explained that the President still sees the possible effects of the bill on children with separated parents, despite being separated himself from his first wife.
Last week, the Lower House approved on second reading the proposed divorce law. The Lower House plans to pass it on third reading on Tuesday.
House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez joined the bill’s proponent Albay Representative Edcel Lagman in pushing the bill.
Meanwhile, no one among the senators has filed a counterpart bill as of Monday.
Senate Majority Floor Leader Tito Sotto previously said that such bill is likely to fail in the Senate.
Under the proposed bill, the process of divorce is made faster and cheaper.
The Philippines allows annulment of marriage but the process is expensive and usually takes years.
Currently, the Philippines and Vatican City are the two states left in the world that oppose legalization of divorce. — Joan Nano| UNTV News & Rescue
FILE PHOTOS: President Rodrigo Duterte and Janet Lim Napoles
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte refused to comment on the decision of the justice department to place pork barrel scam queen Janet Lim Napoles under the witness protection program.
The chief executive said the government follows a certain process and that he is leaving the decision on the case of Napoles to the prosecution panel of the Department of Justice (DOJ).
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque explained that the protection offered to Napoles is just a provisional admission and can still be changed depending on the result of the investigation of the justice department on pork barrel cases.
Amid the dismissal of the drug cases against self-confessed drug lord Kerwin Espinosa and alleged drug dealer Peter Lim, as well as the placing of Napoles under the witness protection program, Roque noted that the President’s trust in DOJ Secretary Vitallano Aguirre II remains. — UNTV News & Rescue
In his speech during the graduation of the cadets in the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Alab Tala Class of 2018 in Baguio City, President Duterte said he encourages state parties’ withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
MANILA, Philippines — The International Criminal Court (ICC) responded last Friday and expressed concerns over the withdrawal of the Philippines from the Rome Statute.
In a statement, the President of the Assembly of State Parties O-Gon Kwon said the withdrawal of a state party from the agreement will have a negative effect on the collective effort to fight against impunity.
The Assembly of State Parties is the management oversight and legislative body of the ICC formed by the representatives of the country that ratified the Rome Statute.
O-Gon added, the ICC needs the support of the international community and encouraged the Philippines to remain a member of the Rome Statute.
O-Gon also urged the Philippine government to have a dialogue with the Assembly of State Parties on the issue.
He acknowledged the active participation of the Philippines since the country ratified the agreement last 2011 and last December 2017 and again reiterated the country’s support on the ICC.
“Too late the hero.” This was the response of the Malacañang regarding the issue.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that he already gave a warning in the meeting of the Assembly of State Parties last December 2017 that ICC prosecutors should not let themselves be used by politicians.
Despite criticisms, President Rodrigo Duterte has already decided to withdraw from the agreement of the International Criminal Court. Aside from this, he is also encouraging other state parties to also withdraw from the Rome Statute.
In his speech during the graduation of Alab Tala Class of 2018 at the Philippine Military Academy in Baguio City on Sunday, he stated that the said agreement sponsored by the European Union (EU) has no sense and is disrespectful.
“Ang sinabi ko lang ‘withdraw’ simply because to announce to the world and I will convince everybody now who are under the treaty sa ICC — get out. Get out. Bastos iyan. It is not a document that was prepared by anybody, it’s an EU-sponsored. Itong mga ito pumunta sila Africa, pinagpapatay nila iyong mga Arabs, lahat na, dito yung massacre sa Marawi. It is really an atonement for their sins,” said the President.
(I said, “withdraw” simply because to announce to the world and I will convince everybody now who are under the treaty sa ICC— get out. Get out. They are disrespectful. It is not a document that was prepared by anybody. It’s EU-sponsored. These people went to Africa and killed the Arabs there; and in the Philippines, the massacre in Marawi. It is really an atonement for their sins.)
The Chief Executive again reiterated that the Rome Statute is not effective despite being ratified in the Senate of the Philippines last 2011, but was not publicized. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.