Chinese scientists make breakthrough in quantum computing technology
Lu Chaoyang, professor with University of Science and Technology of China, leading team on quantum bits research (Image grabbed from Reuters video)
Chinese scientists have successfully entangled 18 optical quantum bits, a key achievement that will dramatically promote quantum computing speed.
Entangling as many quantum bits as possible can lead to an exponential increase of quantum computing speed. However, scientists are facing a huge challenge to entangle a large amount of quantum bits.
A group of Chinese scientists for the first time entangled as many as 18 quantum bits by adopting a new technology called the multi-degrees of freedom photon control method.
“If I can control the three degrees of freedom of a photon, then it’s equivalent to triple it. The control of multi-degrees of freedom is another effective approach for us to further increase the number of the controllable quantum bits. We have adopted multiple approaches at the same time to achieve the large-amount quantum bits entanglement,” said Lu Chaoyang, professor with the University of Science and Technology of China.
Lu added that this achievement can be used in large-scale, high-efficiency quantum information technology, and can be regarded as a milestone in the technology’s development.
“Our next plan is to surpass the conventional computers using integrated circuits in human history, then surpass the fastest commercial computers of our times, and then surpass the supercomputers. This is our fundamental plan,” said Lu. — Reuters
PPA warns of delays in cargo shipments as China ports partially close due to COVID-19
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) has warned Philippine-based importers and exporters to make the necessary operational adjustments as several ports in China will partially close due to COVID-19.
On Wednesday (August 18), the PPA said early preparation is key to reduce the negative impact of the delays in their overall daily operations.
The PPA reported that several ports including Ningbo Port, the world’s third-largest container port, continue to shut their terminals for the 7th straight day due to the virus, particularly the Delta variant.
“We need to prepare. Eventually, the delays in cargo shipments will catch up with us due to the congestion being experienced in these transshipment ports,” PPA General Manager Jay Daniel R. Santiago said.
The Philippine major port gateways, meanwhile, are currently operating under optimum conditions and way below the threshold level of utilization set at 75%.
The PPA also assured that the Manila International Container Terminal and the Manila South Harbor, which handle 85% of the country’s foreign trade volume, are operating under normal conditions.
“PPA assures the shippers that Philippine ports, can handle the bulk of the delayed shipments when conditions at the transshipment ports start to normalize,” Santiago said. –AAC
PH receives additional 1M Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine shots
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines on Friday received another batch of COVID-19 vaccines made by Chinese firm Sinovac Biotech, the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 said.
The shipment containing 1 million doses arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport at past 7:30 a.m. via a Cebu Pacific flight.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and representatives from the NTF welcomed the arrival of the new vaccine supply.
Duque said 60 to 70 percent of this shipment will be deployed to the NCR Plus, while the rest will be dispatched to cities tagged as high risk areas.
The latest batch was part of the 26 million COVID-19 vaccine doses, called CoronaVac, purchased by the Philippine government.
This brings to 19.5 million the total number of Sinovac vaccines delivered to the country so far, including the 1 million doses donated by the government of China.
As of July 30, the Philippines has received a total of 33,860,700 doses of COVID-19 vaccines from six different manufacturers.
PH gov’t to verify reports on foreign ships’ alleged sewage dumping in West Philippine Sea
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine government will look into a report that some foreign vessels were allegedly dumping sewage wastes in the contested parts of the West Philippine Sea, Malacañang said Wednesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque issued the statement in response to a report released by US-based geospatial imagery firm, Simularity, which stated that foreign ships have been dumping sewage and human wastes in the reefs of the disputed waters.
“The responsible answer is we are verifying first, we will react if it’s been verified,” Roque said in a press briefing.
“We should accord our neighbors, and our friends the presumption of good faith, when they say something about an issue,” he added.
If the reports are true, Roque said the government would never allow the Philippines to become a garbage dump.
He even cited the incident when the Philippines sent back to Canada its illegally exported trash in 2019.
The Department of National Defense earlier said it is already verifying the report as it noted that the photo accompanying it was supposedly taken on the Australian Great Barrier Reef in 2014.