Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Chinese major telecom operators announce 5G development strategies

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, June 28th, 2018

 

FILE PHOTO: A man walks past the China Mobile logo at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, February 28, 2018. REUTERS/Sergio Perez

Chinese major telecom operators  — China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom— announced their strategies of 5G development at the Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2018 on Wednesday.

The telecom giants are doing the final round of tests for the commercial use of 5G technology after the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) announced the completion of its standalone (SA) Release 15 5G specifications earlier this month, paving the way for 5G commercialization.

So far, the operators have finished 5G performance test indoors and outdoors and data transmission rate of a single terminal can reach as high as 3 gigabytes per second.

“China Mobile is doing large-scale experiments in five cities including Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Wuhan, and the base stations of each lab are about 100. We can learn some experience about commercial use through such experiments and move toward the goal of achieving commercial use in 2020,” said Zhang Tongxu, dean of the China Mobile Research Institute.

China Unicom also plans to apply 5G technology to commercial use in 2020.

“So far, we are doing experiments in 600 labs of 16 cities. In 2019 we will do application experiments and trial commercial operation and in 2020 the technology will be in commercial use,” said Zhang Yong, dean of the Network Technology Research Institute under China Unicom.

Zhang Yong added China Unicom, a partner of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, will use the 5G technology during the sports event to ensure telecommunications.

China Telecom released a white paper on its 5G technology, the world’s first telecom operator to illustrate its overall layout for the new technology.

“The white paper proposes the overall strategies of the China Telecom to push forward the 5G network. The 4G network will co-exist with the 5G one for a long time and the 5G network development should take a full advantage of the company’s fixed-line resources and infrastructure like optical cables to build a network integrating the fixed and mobile networks,” said Cao Lei, an official from the China Telecom. — Reuters

Tags: , , ,

34 of 400 samples of pork products tested positive of African Swine Fever – BAI

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, July 19th, 2019

Boxes of pork items from Poland intercepted in Cebu on June 27 | Courtesy: BAI

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has intercepted a number of pork products from Hong Kong and China at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) in between June 19 to 28.

The items didn’t have sanitary and phytosanitary clearances from the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) and could have been infested by the deadly pig virus African Swine Fever (ASF).

China is one of the 19 countries from where entry of pork and pork-based products are banned.

From a total of 400 samples that BAI examined, 34 tested positive of ASF and these products could have caused infestation in the country’s hog industry if they were not intercepted.

Germany was the latest addition to the list of countries where entry of pork products to the Philippines was banned.

Though there were no reports yet of ASF-infestation in Germany, the Philippines included it in the list after a German company exported pork products to the Philippines along with some 250 kilograms of pork from ASF-hit Poland.

The said shipment was intercepted in Cebu on June 27 which included 27 boxes of pork items from Poland.

That incident, according to Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol, was a clear violation of the country’s Quarantine Law thus resulting in the ban of pork products from Germany.

“Nakikiusap ako.(‘Im appealing to you) Please understand, these are extraordinary times. We cannot take the risk,” Secretary Piñol said.

“Kasi tingnan mo, Germany napaka-respectable na bansa nyan. It’s export country known for its high standards, nasingitan tayo, (You see Germany is a highly respected country. It’s exports are known for its high standards but some banned (pork) slip past their screening,)” he explained.

Piñol stressed that ASF infestation would compromise the country’s P260-B worth of hog industry.

Some of the Philippines’ neighboring countries have already declared an outbreak of ASF such as Vietnam and Cambodia.

In May, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has asked store owners to self-recall pork products from China that covers those manufactured since the start of the import ban.

Still, Piñol assures the Philippines’ hog industry remains ASF free. – with reports from Rey Pelayo

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Over 21,000 evacuated after torrential rain in Guangxi, China

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Friday, July 19th, 2019

Rescuers evacuate residents @Daxu Town, Lingchuan County, Guilin City, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, south China | Courtesy: Reuters

Over 21,000 people have been evacuated Wednesday following continuous torrential rain in south China’s Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, according to the provincial emergency management department.

In the region, a total of 47 counties and districts in nine cities, including Nanning, Liuzhou, Guilin, and Baise, suffered floods which affected 65,000 hectares of crops and destroyed 1,250 houses.

The local government activated contingency plans for rescue and relief work.

Both rescue and relief efforts are still currently underway. (REUTERS)

Tags: , , , ,

Duterte to explain Chinese fishing in PH waters at 4th SONA

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Wednesday, July 10th, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte will explain his decision on allowing Chinese fishermen to fish in the Philippine waters during his 4th State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 22.

The chief executive said he will explain why his decision was not unconstitutional.

“Maybe during SONA, I will educate people. By any stretch of imagination, hindi unconstitutional iyong ginawa ko (what I did was not unconstitutional). As a matter of fact, it was in keeping with the law,” he said.

READ: Allowing China to fish on PH waters a ground for impeachment vs Duterte, law experts say

Duterte also slammed his critics for saying his action to allow Chinese fishermen in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) is an impeachable offense.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo also reiterated that the president will explain his decision and not defend it.

“He will not defend; he will educate people who think that what he did was unconstitutional. He will lecture on the constitutionality of what he has done,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , , , , ,