China navy calls for United States to reduce risk of misunderstandings
admin • October 5, 2015 • 1817
A Chinese naval helicopter takes off from Chinese naval frigate Linyi during multi-country maritime joint exercises off the coast in Qingdao, Shandong province April 23, 2014. REUTERS/CHINA DAILY
China hopes the United States can scale back activities that run the risk of misunderstandings, and respect China’s core interests, the Defense Ministry on Thursday cited a senior Chinese naval commander as saying.
Each country has blamed the other for dangerous moves over several recent incidents of aircraft and ships from China and the United States facing off in the air and waters around the Asian giant.
Last year the Pentagon said a Chinese warplane flew as close as 20 to 30 feet (7 to 10 m) from a U.S. Navy patrol jet and did a barrel roll over the plane.
The Pacific is an important platform for cooperation, Admiral Sun Jianguo, deputy chief of staff of the People’s Liberation Army, told Admiral Harry Harris, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command.
“The prerequisite for win-win cooperation is mutual trust,” Sun said, according to China’s Defense Ministry.
“(We) hope the U.S. side can pay great attention to China’s concerns, earnestly respect our core interests, avoid words and actions that harm bilateral ties, and reduce activities which cause misunderstandings or misjudgments,” he added.
The two officials were meeting in Hawaii on the sidelines of a gathering of Asia-Pacific defense officials.
The comments came as one of the U.S. Navy’s most advanced aircraft carriers docked in Japan at the start of a deployment that will strengthen the capability of the Seventh Fleet in Asia and boost ties between the United States and its closest regional ally.
Last week, the United States announced pacts with China on a military hotline and rules governing airborne encounters, which seek to lessen the chance of an accidental flare-up between the two militaries, despite tension in the South China Sea.
China last month said it was “extremely concerned” about a suggestion by a top U.S. commander that U.S. ships and aircraft should challenge China’s claims in the South China Sea by patrolling close to artificial islands it has built.
Beijing claims most of the South China Sea, through which $5 trillion in ship-borne trade passes every year.
(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is readying the repatriation of Filipinos in Wuhan City, the epicenter of novel coronavirus (2019 n-CoV), and those in other cities in Hubei province affected by the outbreak in China.
The agency is making available special flights from Hubei Province to the Philippines for Filipinos who wish to come home, subject to China’s rules on disease containment, including immigration clearance and quarantine process, among others.
As discussed in the meeting with health experts and other concerned government officials, the DFA reiterates that Filipino repatriates will undergo 14 days of mandatory quarantine upon arrival as required by the Department of Health (DOH).
Those who wish to stay in China are likewise advised to heed advisories from local health authorities, and cooperate with efforts to quell the further spread of the virus.
Likewise, Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Ernesto Abella stressed the call of Chinese government that Filipinos in the affected areas needing medical assistance and treatment should go to the nearest medical facility and seek proper medical care, including treatment and quarantine.
Filipinos who wish to avail of the repatriation are advised to contact the Philippine Consulate General in Shanghai:
Those who wish to remain in Hubei, apart from the abovementioned contact details, may likewise use any of the two 24-hour Hotlines established by China Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA):
The said MFA Hotlines can also be contacted should Filipinos need assistance, supplies, and other needs.
Based on the National Health Commission’s latest count, as cited by state-run China Global Television Network (CGTN), the number of individuals affected by the 2019-novel coronavirus is broken down as follows:
– 5,997 confirmed cases, including eight in HK; seven in Macao and eight in Taiwan
Germany has declared its first confirmed case of the coronavirus that broke out in China.
Bavaria’s health department said late on Monday that a man in the town of Starnberg, 30 kilometers (19 miles) southwest of Munich, has been confirmed as suffering from the virus.
The patient is in “good condition” and isolated under medical observation, Bavaria’s state health ministry said in a statement posted on its website. It did not disclose any details of the patient’s age or nationality.
“People who have been in contact (with the patient) have been informed in detail about possible symptoms, hygiene measures and transmission channels,” the minsirty said in the written statement.
The virus, that broke out in the central Chinese city of Wuhan at the end of last year, has so far killed 100 people, infected over 2,800 others, stranded tens of millions during the big Lunar New Year holiday and rattled global markets.
Cases linked to people who travelled from Wuhan have been confirmed in a dozen countries, from Japan to the United States.
The first batch of wards are being installed at the new Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan, which is devoted to treating the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) pneumonia patients.
Located near the Wuhan Workers’ Sanatorium in the Caidian District in the western suburbs, the Huoshenshan Hospital is designed to have 1,000 beds for providing isolated and efficient treatment of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) pneumonia patients.
The hospital is scheduled to be put into use by Feb. 3.
“When the well-decorated movable plank houses are finished, sanitary appliances and medical facilities will be installed,” said Liu Fei, a worker of the Huoshenshan Hospital.
As of 15:00 on Monday, more than 300 workers had been organized to piece together the wards, which would be installed in 300 rooms a day. According to the construction plan, it will take about three days to complete the installation of the 1,000 wards.
“The 1,000 sets of movable plank house materials are all ready and 470 sets have already been delivered. We must not have the materials delayed,” said Yang Ning, another worker.
To accelerate project progress, the whole site has been divided into several areas to carry out non-stop work at different stages.
“The construction is progressing smoothly, and we believe that we are capable to complete the construction with guaranteed quality and quantity. Please rest assured,” said Liu.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.