FILE PHOTO – Customs officers check on imported solid waste at an examination centre in Qingdao, Shandong province, October 15, 2013. REUTERS/China Daily
China has started its reform plan on solid waste import management released earlier this year, saying that “foreign garbage” will be entirely banned from entering the country by the end of 2017.
Customs in different places across China are also stepping up efforts to crack down upon the illegal import of foreign trash and arrange the returns of the smuggled waste banned in the country.
“We require the companies to ship the trash back as soon as we found it, to prevent any environmental pollution it might bring to us,” said Lianyungang Customs Inspections officer Li Rui.
China has looked into 146 cases of illegal import and processing of imported waste into the country in the first half of this year, which involved more than 260,000 tons of solid waste, according to Customs officials.
China used to be one of the largest importers of “foreign garbage”, or technically known as “solid wastes” but some companies have illegally smuggled “foreign garbage” into the country for profit, damaging the environment and public health.
“The prohibited solid waste may bring hazardous impacts on production and people’s lives during the follow-up processing, to affect drinking water, underground water, and air, Tianjin Xingang Customs inspections Deputy chief Cao Wei.
China will gradually phase out imports of solid waste that can be replaced by domestic resources, by reducing the categories and amount of solid waste imports and raising the import threshold, according to the officials. — Reuters
China launches twin BeiDou-3 satellites
Launch of China satellites in Xichang Satellite Launch Center, Southwest China on Sept 19, 2018 | CCTV via REUTERS
China on Wednesday evening successfully sent twin BeiDou-3 navigation satellites into space on a single carrier rocket.
The Long March-3B carrier rocket lifted off from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center at 22:07. It was the 285th mission of the Long March rocket series.
The twin satellites are the 37th and 38th editions of the BeiDou navigation system. After a series of tests and evaluations, they will work together with 12 BeiDou-3 satellites already in orbit.
The twin satellites will provide danger alerts and navigation services for global users. A basic system with 18 orbiting BeiDou-3 satellites will be in place by the end of the year, which will serve countries participating in the Belt and Road Initiative.
The satellites and the rocket for Wednesday’s launch were developed by the China Academy of Space Technology and the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology, respectively.
Named after the Chinese term for the Big Dipper, the BeiDou system started serving China in 2000 and the Asia-Pacific region in 2012. — Reuters
Hong Kong residents relieved as clean up continues after super typhoon
Hong Kong Victoria Harbor | REUTERS
Workers in Hong Kong continued the cleanup and repair operation on Tuesday (September 18) after a typhoon, dubbed the “King of Storms”, struck over the weekend.
Super typhoon Mangkhut, with hurricane-force winds well over 200 kilometers per hour (124 miles/h), barreled past the northern tip of the Philippines, killing at least 54 people. It then skirted south of Hong Kong and the neighboring gambling hub of Macau, before making landfall in China.
The city has been trying to clear scores of felled trees and bamboo scaffolding which have been blocking roads and on Monday contributed to severe disruption to commuters. Some buildings, including the One Harbourfront office tower, had many windows smashed after a day in which some of the city’s skyscrapers had swayed with the ferocious gusts.
Residents said they were relieved that public transportation has resumed.
The China Meteorological Administration said Mangkhut was one of the 10 biggest storms to hit southeast China since 1949 – when records began – with wind speeds at around 162 km/h. — Reuters
Chinese president sends condolences to Philippines over Typhoon Mangkhut
FILE PHOTO: China’s President Xi Jinping. REUTERS/Jason Lee
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday extended condolences to his Philippine counterpart Rodrigo Duterte over Typhoon Mangkhut that has hit the Philippines, killing some 65 people.
In his message to Duterte, Xi said the typhoon has caused severe casualties and loss of properties in the Philippines. On behalf of the Chinese government and people, and in his own name, Xi mourned the victims and expressed sympathy to those injured, the bereaved families and the people in the affected area.
Xi said that China and the Philippines are friendly neighbors, and the Chinese people shared the sadness of the Philippine people over their sufferings, and are willing to help as much as possible.
Xi added that he believed that under the leadership of President Duterte and the Philippine government, the Philippine people will quickly overcome the disaster and rebuild their homeland. — Reuters