China to block cryptocurrency platforms that allow centralized trading: Bloomberg

UNTV News   •   January 16, 2018   •   4019

BEIJING (Reuters) – Chinese authorities plan to block domestic access to Chinese and offshore cryptocurrency platforms that allow centralized trading, Bloomberg reported Monday citing sources.

Chinese authorities will also target individuals and companies that provide market-making, settlement and clearing services for centralized trading, Bloomberg reported.

Last year, Chinese regulators banned initial coin offerings, shut down local cryptocurrency trading exchanges and limited bitcoin mining – but activity in the cryptocurrency and bitcoin space has continued through alternative channels in China despite the crackdown.

Reporting by Beijing Monitoring Desk; Editing by Nick Macfie

Police raid prostitution den in Makati; rescued 35 sex workers

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 8, 2019

The Makati police on Monday (October 7) evening raided a hotel in Makati that was used as a prostitution den.

Authorities raided Maxx Hotel after confirming reports about illegal sexual activities in the establishment.

They also rescued 35 Chinese nationals who are believed to be victims of human trafficking.

The Makati Police seized various sex paraphernalia and arrested 21 Chinese nationals who were reported to be customers.

Authorities also arrested 10 Filipino employees.

According to Makati City Police Station Chief of Police PCol. Rogelio Simon, the prostitution den also operates online.

“Pwede kang mag-walk-in dito o ‘di kaya iyong ginagawa nila through online transaction (You can just walk in here or through online transaction),” he said.

This is the fourth raid in two months that involved Chinese nationals.

Arrested individuals will face charges for violation of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003.

The establishment might also be closed due to the violations involving illegal operations of Chinese nationals.—AAC (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)

PNP-AKG nabs Chinese national for alleged kidnapping of fellow Chinese

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 19, 2019

Chinese national Libu Xu was arrested by PNP-AKG for allegedly kidnapping a fellow Chinese national.

The Philippine National Police-Anti Kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) has arrested a Chinese national for allegedly kidnapping a fellow Chinese national over a gambling debt.

Chinese national, Libu Xu, is among the six suspects who purportedly kidnapped 25-year-old Xiaoguo Bian.

The hot pursuit operations for the remaining suspects continue, according to PNP-AKG spokesman Police Lieutenant Colonel Elmer Cereno.

“On going ang backtracking ng mga tao natin kasi identify naman
sila kaya nagha-hot pursuit operation sila ngayon (The backtracking of our personnel is ongoing [the suspects] have already been identified so authorities are currently conducting hot pursuit operations),” he said.

According to Cereno, Xiaoguo was held captive from July 29 to 31 at a hotel and was beaten up by the suspects.

The suspects asked Xiaoguo to pay RMB 300,000 for his release. He had a P1.5 million debt with a casino financier at Midas Hotel.

The suspects also went to the PCPS and told the authorities that they will file a case against Xiaoguo.

“So while the duty investigator was busy, they put him inside the jail without his knowledge. The investigator did not see that the Chinese men filmed the victim while he is in jail,” Cereno said.

The suspects then sent a video to Xiaoguo’s father in China after he was beaten up and while he was inside the PCPS jail cell.

Authorities later released Xiaoguo after no sufficient evidence was found to pursue the case.

On August 15, the authorities found out about the kidnapping incident after Xiaoguo’s father flew to the Philippines. He showed the video to the authorities and asked for police assistance.

After the rescue operation, Cereno said they are now conducting a follow-up operations for the remaining suspects.

Meanwhile, Cereno said they will review possible liability against the police investigator in the PCPS since it was never in their protocol to detain a person being complained. —AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Lobo, Batangas local gov’t ordered Chinese dredging ship to leave

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 4, 2019

MV Emerald, boarded by Chinese and Indonesian crew was sighted in the mangrove forest of Barangay Lagadlarin, on March 28, 2019.

The local government of Lobo, Batangas has ordered the Chinese dredging ship to leave their shores after failing to provide permit to operate.

The foreign ship MV Emerald, boarded by Chinese and Indonesia crew was sighted in the mangrove forest of Barangay Lagadlarin, on Thursday.

According to Lobo, Batangas Mayor Gaudioso Manalo, there are companies who have contracts to conduct dredging along the Lobo River but the MV Emerald is not included in their list.

Manalo said they have already advised the ship’s captain to leave their town.

” ‘Wala kayong business permit’, sabi ko. Parang barakuhan hindi pwedeng ganoon. Definitely hindi ko kayo papayagan. Sabi ko, ‘umalis na kayo’, (They don’t have any business permit. They seem to be forcing their way in, we can’t have that. I am definitely not allowing them to stay, I told them to leave),” he said.

The MV Emerald presented an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) CALABARZON but Manalo said they are still not allowed to operate.

“Kami ang huling magde-desisyon kung iyan ay papayagan o hindi. So iyong kanilang nakuha na ECC ay first step pa lang, andiyan na kaagad parang atat na atat, (We make the final decisions on whether we’ll allow them or not. The ECC they presented is just the first step but they already made their way there as if they couldn’t wait. )” he adds.

The local government assured that the ship has not begun dredging the area.

According to Manolo, the Lobo River is included in the protected areas because it is near Verde Island which is considered as “the center of the center” of marine biodiversity in the world.

“Kami po ay tapat ng Verde Island passage. Iyang Verde Island passage ay center of marine biodiversity in the whole world. Ito ang pinakamagandang dive site kapag nagankla ka diyan masisira kaya hindi kami pumapayag, (We are across Verde Island passage. The Verde Island passage is the center of marine biodiversity in the whole world. It has the most beautiful dive site. If you anchored there, it might damage the area, that’s why we’re not allowing [the ship]),” he said.

Meanwhile, other Chinese dredging ships were sighted in Masinloc and Cabangan, Zambales.

According to Bayan Muna Partylist Cong. Neri Colmenares, they took a video on February 16 while they were documenting the West Philippine Sea.

“I personally rode a boat to get near and see the ships for myself. Fishermen also sent me pictures of quarrying ships with Chinese crew in Cabangan, Zambales,” he said. —Aileen Cerrudo (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.