Cebu province to be placed under ECQ to combat COVID-19

Robie de Guzman   •   March 26, 2020   •   1790

Cebu Provincial Capitol

The province of Cebu will be placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in a bid to stop the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Under Executive Order No. 5-N signed on March 25, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia placed Cebu province under enhanced community quarantine, and that starting 12:01 a.m. of March 27, Friday entry of all persons arriving on international flights in the province will be banned.

Outbound passengers, however, will still be allowed to leave the province, and the movement of all cargo in airports and seaports will not be restricted during the community quarantine period.

“Basic and essential goods, and other necessities shall be given priority over other goods,” the order read.

The EO also mandated the police, military and other government security forces assigned in the province to assist in the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine.

Garcia said she is set to meet with local chief executives to discuss the measures which will be carried out during the quarantine period.

She has also asked the Provincial Board to hold an emergency session on Thursday to place the entire province under a state of emergency, which would allow authorities to access emergency funds for COVID-19 response.

Cebu province so far has one confirmed COVID-19 patient while there are nine “presumptive” positive cases recorded in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Gladys Toabi)


Erratum:
An earlier version of this article erroneously stated that Cebu province has eight “presumptive” positive cases recorded in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu. Revision has been made.

MWSS orders Maynilad, Manila Water to implement 30-day grace period, installment plan for ECQ, MECQ bills

Robie de Guzman   •   September 30, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) on Wednesday told concessionaires, Maynilad Water Services Inc. and Manila Water Co. to grant their customers a 30-day grace period and three-month installment plan to settle bills that fall due within the tighter community quarantine periods.

In a press release, the MWSS Regulatory Office (RO) said the directive is “in solidarity with the spirit and intentions of the Bayanihan to Recover as One Act (Bayanihan 2).”

The grace period will cover bills that fall due within the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) and modified ECQ periods.

The MWSS RO also directed water distributors to implement a three-month installment scheme for all cooperatives; micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSME); and domestic customers after the grace period.

“The said directives will provide customers ample time to update payments for water bills that fell due within the 04 to 18 August 2020 MECQ period without incurring interests, penalties and other charges,” the agency said.

It can be recalled that Metro Manila and nearby areas were reverted to MECQ in August in response to the call of the medical community for a “time out” amid rising COVID-19 cases in the country.

“The MWSS RO assures the public that it will do everything in its mandate to protect their welfare and provide the assistance they need to alleviate the financial burden brought about by the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic,” the MWSS said.

‘No need to panic buy,’ Palace reminds public

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 3, 2020

Consumers in Metro Manila flocked to grocery stores after President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday night, approved the reversion of some areas to Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) in response to the medical frontliners’ plea for a two-week “timeout”.

This prompted Malacañang on Monday to remind the public not to panic buy amid the implementation of MECQ in the National Capital Region (NCR).

“Walang dahilan para mag-panic buying. Supplies are high, delivered in supermarkets in anticipation of bigger demand prior to MECQ,” said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque.

The Palace official reiterated that only essential establishments will remain open including supermarkets, banks, and hospitals. He also said that the “time out” will be used to strengthen the government’s testing, tracing, and treatment of COVID-19.

“This is primarily to accede to the demand of the frontliners for a break. A ‘time out,'” Roque said. AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)

Pampanga to return to ECQ if spike in COVID-19 cases continues, governor warns

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 8, 2020

Pampanga Governor Dennis Pineda warned of reverting the province to enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) if the number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continues to rise.

“Tumaas po ang mga kaso natin. I have no choice kung hindi ibalik sa GCQ ito o ECQ kung aabot tayo sa worst situation (Cases in our province increased. I have no choice but to revert to GCQ or ECQ if the situation worsens),” he said.

After the province was placed under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) on June 15, new COVID-19 cases went up by 25. As of July 7, according to the Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, there are 166 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Pampanga, with 100 recoveries and 16 deaths.

Only Arayat and Masantol, Pampanga remain COVID-19-free, the Pampanga governor said. He reminds residents to only leave the house if necessary.

“Hindi po sinasabi ng MGCQ na libre kayo na makipagkwentuhan sa ibang lugar (Just because it’s MGCQ, it doesn’t mean you are free to meet up in other places),” he said.

Barangay Capalangan and Sulipan in Apalit are currently under hard lockdown until July 16 due to the surge of COVID-19 cases in the area. AAC (with reports from Leslie Huidem)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.