Carpio, Leonen decline nomination to SC Chief Justice post

Robie de Guzman   •   August 20, 2019   •   906

(L-R) Supreme Court Senior Associate Justices Antonio Carpio and Marvic Leonen

MANILA, Philippines – Supreme Court Senior Associate Justices Antonio Carpio and Marvic Leonen have declined their respective nominations for the chief justice post, the Supreme Court (SC) said on Tuesday.

The SC Public Information Office (PIO) confirmed this on its official Twitter account.

“Senior Associate Justice Antonio T. Carpio and Associate Justice Marvic MVF Leonen have declined their respective nominations as Chief Justice,” it said.

The SC said Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin is set to retire on October 18.

In a message to reporters, Carpio said he declined his nomination as he will also retire in October when he reaches the compulsory retirement age of 70.

Carpio has been serving the judiciary for 18 years.

Leonen on Monday said he also rejected his nomination to the SC top post but did not cite his reasons.

“There is no requirement to state our reasons for declining the nomination. For now, in my considered judgement, my decision is the right thing to do. I will be able to do what I do best for our people in my current position at this time,” he said in a statement.

He, however, gave assurance that he would be supportive of the next chief of the high court.

“As always, I am committed to giving my support to whoever is constitutionally appointed as the next chief justice,” he said.

Leonen, 56, is one of the most senior SC justices who are qualified for automatic nomination for the position.

Aside from Carpio and Leonen, other magistrates who are automatically nominated for the post are Associate Justice Diosdado Peralta, Associate Justices Estella Perlas-Bernabe and Benjamin Caguioa.

The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) has set August 20 for the deadline for applications and acceptance of nomination for the chief justice post.

Paglalantad ng identity ng social media users, ipinanukala vs trolling

Robie de Guzman   •   July 28, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Ilantad ang pagkakakilanlan ng social media users – ito ang nakikitang paraan ni dating Supreme Court (SC) Associate Justice at 1Sambayan lead-convenor Antonio Carpio upang masugpo ang isyu ng trolling.

Ang social media trolling ay pag-atake ng ilang netizen sa mga hindi pumapabor sa kanilang paniniwala.

“The solution is simple: require all those who comment on online publications, online platforms, to reveal their real identity. If you are from China state your name, state your country of residence,” ani Carpio.

Aniya, hindi dapat payagan ng management ng social media platforms ang mga pekeng account o mga gawa-gawa lang ang pangalan.

Layunin nitong matukoy at agad mapanagot ang sinumang nagpo-post ng maling impormasyon o kaya ay paninira sa social media.

Mahihimok din ang social media users na maging maingat sa pagpo-post ng impormasyon o mensahe dahil sila ay maaaring maparusahan.

“Because if you put your real name you will be circumspect, you will weigh every word you put there because you could be sued for libel or you could be laughed up if you express something ridiculous,” ani Carpio.

Naniniwala ang dating mahistrado na hindi ito mahirap gawin para sa mga nangangasiwa ng social media platform.

Inihalimbawa pa nito ang ginawang pagkansela noon ng Facebook sa mga fake account na natukoy mula sa Fuijan Province sa China na nagpapahayag ng suporta para sa administrasyong Duterte. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Dante Amento)

Why did Duterte tap out of challenge to debate with Carpio?

Robie de Guzman   •   May 10, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday said he is not afraid of facing retired Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio in a debate on issues surrounding the West Philippine Sea.

Duterte last week dared Carpio to square off on the loss of a Philippine territory during the Aquino administration, but later tapped out and instead delegated the task to his spokesperson, lawyer Harry Roque.

“What was in my mind when I challenged Carpio into a debate? Ang problema lang kasi dito nakalimutan ko na si Carpio hindi ang presidente – ako,” Duterte said in his weekly Talk to the People on Monday night.

Duterte said he had to back out of the challenge because anything he might say there could be construed as a “policy statement.”

“I might bind future actions of government pagdating dito sa West Philippine Sea,” he said.

“Pero dodoon ako sa kahon, it’s not because I am afraid of debates,” he added, saying that he had faced many debates with political rivals for the presidency in 2016.

“Hindi ako takot sa’yo, ang problema, hindi ko nga alam na hindi ka president,” he further said, addressing Carpio.

Duterte has blamed the previous administration over the loss of the Scarborough Shoal in the West Philippine Sea following a standoff in 2012.

Former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario earlier said that China “deceitfully breached” its agreement with the Philippines to withdraw the ships of both sides to end the standoff.

The Philippines then pursued an arbitral case against China in 2014. The Permanent Court of Arbitration ruled in 2016 in favor of the Philippines and nullified China’s vast claims in the South China Sea, including parts of the West Philippine Sea.

Duterte said he tried pursuing the arbitral ruling but nothing happened.

China has been ignoring the diplomatic protest that the Philippine government has repeatedly filed over the incursion of Chinese vessels in the contested waters.

Duterte won’t debate with Carpio; taps spox Roque for face-off on WPS issue

Robie de Guzman   •   May 7, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte will not face retired Supreme Court Justice Antonio Carpio in a debate on the issues about the West Philippine Sea, Malacañang said Friday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the chief executive made the decision after several Cabinet members and two senators advised him not to square off with Carpio as this might compromise national policies and confidential information.

Roque, a lawyer, said the president has delegated to him the task of debating with Carpio on the issue.

“Ang sabi po ni Presidente, kung papayag si Antonio Carpio, tuloy ang debate dahil importante naman na marinig ang mga ideya para ang mga taong bayan ay makagawa ng konklusyon,” Roque said in an announcement over state-run PTV.

“Ang sabi po ni President, itinatalaga niya po ang inyong abang lingkod na makipag-debate kay retired justice Antonio Carpio,” he added.

 Roque said he has accepted Duterte’s directive.

“Sabihin lang po ng Philippine Bar Association kung saan at kailan ang debate at sisipot po tayo roon,” he said.

Duterte on Wednesday dared Carpio to go on a debate on the West Philippine Sea issue. He said he would ask Carpio on who ordered the Philippine Navy to retreat from the area during the 2012 standoff; what the administration of then President Benigno Aquino did about it; and if they enforced the ruling when they filed and won the case.

Carpio accepted Duterte’s dare but he denied involvement in the issue of China’s occupation of some areas in the contested waters.

“Totoo po hinamon po ni Presidente si justice Carpio sa isang debate pero ang pagdedebate po ay dalawang bagay, di ba po? Sino ba ang responsable sa pagkawala ng Scarborough Shoal?” Roque said.

“Ang subject matter po ng debate ay sino at anong administrasyon ang naging dahilan kung kailan nawala sa Pilipinas ang possession sa Scarborough Shoal,” he further stated.

Roque also said that he would also ask Carpio during the debate on who was responsible and under what administration did the Philippines lost possession of the Mischief Reef.

“Retired Supreme Court Justice Antonio Carpio, it would be a pleasure to debate against you. I’ll see you at the designated time and place,” he said, addressing Carpio.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.