CAB looks into Cebu Pacific flight cancellations

Robie de Guzman   •   April 29, 2019   •   2936

MANILA, Philippines – The Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) said on Monday it is currently looking into Cebu Pacific’s cancellation of more than 40 flights since Sunday (April 28).

CAB executive director Atty. Carmelo Arcilla said they are probing the factors and circumstances that led to the cancellations.

“We are now in the process of evaluating the incident and determine the circumstances that led to this,” Arcilla said.

Cebu Pacific earlier announced in an advisory that dozens of their flights have been canceled from April 28 to 30 because of limited operational conditions, particularly in their Manila hub in Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

READ: Several flights in Cebu Pacific cancelled

Cebu Pacific spokesperson Charo Logarta-Lagamon told UNTV News and Rescue in an interview that they are facing operational limitations due to different factors, including several damaged aircraft and heavy traffic that prevented flights from taking off and landing on time.

Lagamon added that three of their aircraft were damaged due to bird strikes.

The temporary reduction of flights, she said, is necessary to minimize the disruption and to restore the network route to its normal state.

“Yung ruta na tinatahak ng bawat eroplano and because it affects yung nga ruta yung nga timing yung nga schedule nabubulunan ang aming network,” she said.

“Wala kaming ibang choice, masakit man sa aming kalooban we have to pulldown those flights para hindi na lumaki pa at lumala pa yung problema ng malawakang mga delay at cancellations,” she added.

At least 9,000 passengers are affected by flight cancellations based on Cebu Pacific’s estimate.

The airline management has apologized for the inconvenience caused by the cancellations, and assured it is extending “every possible help” to passengers.

Affected travelers may rebook flights within 30 days from the original flight schedule, free of charge; get a full refund or place the full cost of the ticket in a travel fund.

Passengers may also re-route to and from alternate airports for travel within 30 days, subject to availability of seats.

Meanwhile, aside from Cebu Pacific, the CAB is also monitoring other airlines that also sought permission to cancel flights. These include Skyjet, Philippine Airlines, and Air Asia. – Robie de Guzman (with reports from Joan Nano)

CAB halts domestic flights in first week of GCQ

Marje Pelayo   •   June 1, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) has suspended the operation of all domestic flights previously scheduled for the first week of June.

The agency made it clear in a memorandum that it has not approved any domestic air flights set for the first week of the relaxed restrictions under the general community quarantine 

The Civil Aeronautics Board ordered all airline companies to cancel all of their scheduled flights for this week and temporarily stop selling plane tickets. 

Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque announced that flight schedules are being reviewed.

He also assured that the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines will issue guidelines on the matter soon. 

“Theoretically po, ang lahat ng flights ng GCQ to GCQ ay papayagan na, [Theoretically, GCQ to GCQ flights are already allowed],” Roque said.

“Pero aantayin po natin ang CAAP na sila po ang mag-provide ng guidelines at kinakailangan din ng panahon ng ating mga airline companies para maghanda po sa resumption ng kanilang operations, [However, we need to wait for CAAP to provide the guidelines and airline companies also need time to prepare for the resumption of their operations],” he added.

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) has yet to identify which terminals will reopen. 

Meanwhile, several airline companies have already submitted their respective flight schedules to MIAA and CAAP for review. 

The Philippine Airlines (PAL) has previously announced the resumption of operations for both international and local flights though the company also advised its clients of possible changes depending on the situation relative to the existing quarantine restrictions. 

Cebu Pacific was supposed to resume domestic flights on June 2 and Air Asia on June 3.

International flights are now operating at NAIA Terminal 1 limited to only 400 passengers daily capacity based on the IATF order.

Meanwhile, Terminal 2 only caters to repatriation, sweeper flights and commercial flights by PAL. 

Terminal 3, on the other hand, will serve as a flight station for Cebu Pacific and Air Asia. 

Terminal 4, still remains closed. MNP (with reports from Joan Nano)

Cebu Pacific, PAL to implement new protocols under ‘new normal’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 6, 2020

Cebu Pacific and the Philippine Airlines (PAL) will implement new protocols in preparation for the resumption of operations.

Commercial flight operations will remain suspended until May 15 due to the extension of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

Vice President for Marketing and Customer Experience at Cebu Pacific Candice Iyog announced they will intensify their sanitary protocols through “contactless flights”.

“We are implementing additional procedures to assure our passengers and give them the confidence to travel again. Rolling out ‘contactless flights’ will minimize face-to-face contact between our ground staff and our passengers and observe physical distancing,” she said in a statement.

Cebu Pacific encourages its passengers to check in online and will be required to wear face masks upon entry at the airport terminal and for the duration of the flight.

All pilots, cabin crews, ground employees will also wear personal protective equipment (PPE) while on duty. Pilots and cabin crew will undergo  rapid antibody tests before they are assigned to operate flights.

Meanwhile, PAL will also require face masks for all visitors as well as its passengers. Thermal scans will be conducted at ticket offices and online check-in is encouraged. AAC

NBI warns against proliferation of cybercrimes amid ECQ

Marje Pelayo   •   April 17, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Scammers are increasingly active these days especially with everyone practically living in cyberspace due to lockdowns in different parts of the world.

In the Philippines, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has warned the public of the rise in cybercrime as the national government’s enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) limits movement outside of residence.

With almost all services migrating online, scammers are taking advantage of online platforms to pursue their schemes.

Such is the problem of Jodel Merjudio who operates an online travel agency.

Merjudio reported to UNTV’s Serbisyong Bayanihan that some scammers created an impostor account of his enterprise’s Facebook page.

It only came to his knowledge when one of his clients told him about an alleged representative of his travel agency who transacted and asked money from that client on his behalf.

Part of the scammer’s modus operandi is to block the clueless victims from its fake page once payment is received.

The victims are then led to Merjudio’s official page to follow up on transactions that the latter had no knowledge of.

“Ang nangyayari, iyong kliyente pag nag-search sila sa Facebook, dalawa ang lalabas na agency. So kami ang nako-contact nila kasi naka-block na sila doon sa scammer page,” Merjudio said.

Jodel said he initially reported the incident to the Philippine National Police (PNP) Region 4A Cybercrime Division.

To assist Jodel, Kuya Daniel Razon contacted Atty.Victor Lorenzo of the NBI’s Cybercrime Division who agreed with Jodel’s initial move of reporting the incident to proper authorities.

The official promised to help Jodel in identifying the perpetrators behind the impostor account and to eventually resolve the case.

“Kunin nila ang mga contact details [ng kliyente] at kung makipag-ugnayan sila sa amin ay iyon kasi ang hihingiin namin (Get the contact details [of the client] so when you come to us, those are the details that we would be asking],” Lorenzo said.

Kokontakin namin sila para malaman kung ano ba ang mode of payment? Paano ang money ay transmitted? Bank to bank? Kasi ang best lead natin kung sino ang nag-create ng fake account ng travel agency (We will ask them what the mode of payment was; how the money was transmitted; and was it bank to bank? Our best lead would be the creator of the travel agency’s fake account),” he added.

Atty. Lorenzo said incidents of online travel agency scams have already dwindled for some time but since the country is under lockdown, scammers have again started to become active online. MNP (with details from Rey Pelayo)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.