Businessman files cyber libel complaint vs. alias Bikoy, Facebook PH, YouTube
Aileen Cerrudo • May 24, 2019 • 1601
Owner of Misibis Bay Resort, Zaldy Co, has filed cyber libel charges against self-confessed “Bikoy” Peter Joemel Advincula, Facebook PH, and YouTube.
“Like ‘Bikoy’, Facebook and YouTube must be held accountable. Our legal system shouldn’t allow them to be part of a systematic campaign to destroy people and simply get away with it,” Co said in a statement.
Based on the filed complaint, Co is asking for P1 billion in damages against the said respondents, including Rodel Jayme, for linking his resort in the ‘Ang Totoong Narcolist’ videos.
“The truth is finally out. By his own admission, ‘Bikoy’ said everything in the viral video series that implicates me, Misibis Bay Resort and other personalities in the illegal drug trade are pure fabrication,” Co added.
Co recalled that his camp had already asked Facebook and YouTube to take down the videos but his request was allegedly ignored.
A new breed of OPM singer-songwriters is about to hit the digital space.
On September 29, Wish 107.5 is set to premiere “Wishcovery Originals” on its YouTube channel. Serving as the third edition of the radio station’s online talent search, the show aims to discover and give a platform to aspiring Filipino artists who can both perform and compose their own songs.
“What we’re looking for right now is a singer and composer. We want, this time, the composer to express his feelings through songs that he himself wrote,” Kuya Daniel Razon, the creator of the competition and the main man behind Wish 107.5, remarked in a previous statement.
The first two seasons of the show focused on the singing prowess of the contenders.
Series of Eliminations
Touting a brand-new concept for Wishcovery, Wish 107.5 is on a mission to scout, introduce, and hone promising music makers in the country. It opened its auditions last June and has since received hundreds of entries from singing-songwriting acts online and via the Wish 107.5 Bus.
Out of these hopefuls, only a select few will have the chance to showcase their talent and songs on the competition proper.
After the program’s pilot episode — which is dedicated to giving the audience a walkthrough of what to expect throughout the show’s run — a series of weekly and monthly eliminations will take place.
Every Sunday, four contenders will battle it out on the weekly eliminations, the winners of which will advance to the monthly finals. Featuring a brand-new song for this stage, the top contender will earn a spot in the grand finals and a cash prize worth Php 20,000.
For the weekly battles, the scores will solely come from the panel of judges, which includes Mayonnaise frontman Monty Macalino, the country’s King of R&B Jay R, and veteran hitmaker-producer Jungee Marcelo.
For the monthly eliminations, the judges will only take up 75 percent of the total scores. The remaining 25 percent will come from the power-viewing statistics of the contenders’ Wish Bus performances to be uploaded on a dedicated platform for these videos, the Wishcovery YouTube channel.
Despite this fierce competition, exciting rewards await the grand winner of the show.
As in the previous editions of Wishcovery, Wish 107.5 will give a whopping set of prizes for the show’s grand champion — Php 1 million in cash, a recording contract worth Php 1 million, a brand-new car, and a house and lot.
Follow the journey of aspiring Filipino singer-songwriters and hear new OPM songs on Wishcovery Originals! The show, which will air every Sunday on Wish 107.5’s YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/wish1075official), will premiere on September 29. Meanwhile, full videos of the contenders’ Wish Bus performances will be available on the Wishcovery YouTube channel (https://bit.ly/2kJ4Oyn).
MANILA, Philippines – Detained Opposition Senator Leila de Lima on Friday expressed alarm over the “continued proliferation of fake videos” on video-sharing website Youtube and urged Google Philippines to take it down.
“The continued proliferation of fake videos on YouTube is highly alarming. These fake videos have been widely shared across social media platforms by well-orchestrated network of pages that aim to manipulate reality to advance their political agendas,” De Lima said in a statement.
The senator said fake videos are populating on one of its subsidiaries, notably YouTube, “which becomes the go-to platform of sinister groups to spread lies and misleading content.”
De Lima called on Google Philippines to take concrete and decisive actions to ensure the veracity of the videos and audio clips it allows to be disseminated and shared on its service by cleaning up YouTube of fake clips.
“Google Philippines should take this concern seriously and start the crackdown on fake videos, including deep fake videos, on YouTube to free the public from any confusion about what’s real and what’s fake. This is long overdue,” she added.
The lawmaker also said she has since been aware of the malicious content populating YouTube because she has been a constant target of fake news on the said platform, as with other social networking sites.
“I should know. Evil men and women who are behind the fake news stories and videos against me have long been resorting to YouTube, among other social media platforms, to discredit me and make me appear bad in the public’s eyes,” she said.
“Even though my Senate staff report these online fake news pages and websites regularly, their efforts are not enough to control the proliferation of these fake news videos, especially among overseas Filipino workers,” she added.
De Lima believes that Google Philippines and its mother unit would be more responsible in finding innovative ways that could control, if not at all stop, the continued circulation and distribution of fake videos on YouTube.
“The people behind these dubious accounts and channels should also be held accountable for their actions. Media literacy and fact-checking platforms would not suffice unless technology giants like Google contribute in fighting disinformation,” she said.
Google Philippines has yet to issue a statement on the matter as of posting.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Wednesday directed the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detention Group (PNP-CIDG) to provide them complete information of those who were made respondents in the sedition complaint before the agency.
This, following the PNP-CIDG’s filing of complaint for sedition before the DOJ against Vice President Leni Robredo, Senators Leila de Lima and Risa Hontiveros, and former Senators Antonio Trillanes IV and Bam Aquino, in relation to the so-called Project Sodoma on Thursday (July 18).
The DOJ Panel of State Prosecutors who was tasked to conduct preliminary investigation on the complaint issued an order directing the PNP-CIDG to provide them with the complete addresses of the said respondents.
The Panel noted that the complaint filed before it does not state respondents’ complete addresses.
It added that the missing information has made it difficult for the Panel to cause service of the subpoena to respondents.
The complaints filed against the respondents were sedition, inciting to sedition, libel, cyber libel, estafa, harboring a criminal and obstruction of justice.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.