Mozilla says hackers stole information from Bugzilla

admin   •   September 5, 2015   •   2468

A magnifying glass is held in front of a computer screen in this picture illustration taken in Berlin May 21, 2013. REUTERS/PAWEL KOPCZYNSKI

A magnifying glass is held in front of a computer screen in this picture illustration taken in Berlin May 21, 2013.
REUTERS/PAWEL KOPCZYNSKI

Mozilla, creator of the Firefox web browser, said hackers had stolen security-sensitive information from Bugzilla, its bug tracker, and used it to “attack” Firefox users.

The account that the hackers broke into was shut down shortly after the company discovered it had been compromised, the company said in a blog post. (mzl.la/1N7L9fC)

Mozilla said on Friday the hackers may have used information from Bugzilla to exploit a vulnerability that allowed them to search for sensitive files and upload them to a server.

A version of Firefox, the world’s second-largest browser by users, released on Aug. 27 fixed all the vulnerabilities the hacker learned about and could have used to harm its web browser users, the company said.

Bugzilla is an open-source tool used for tracking “bugs” or flaws in software that result in incorrect or unexpected results.

While Bugzilla is mostly public, access to security sensitive information is restricted to certain trusted users.

Mozilla said it had conducted an investigation on the breach and notified relevant law enforcement authorities.

Rising cybersecurity threats and a jump in the number of reported incidents have led companies and governments to beef up their security platforms and software.

Several high profile cyber attacks including those at Anthem Inc, one of the largest U.S. health insurers and retailer Target Corp have brought the issue of data security to the fore in recent years.

(Reporting by Devika Krishna Kumar and Ramkumar Iyer in Bengaluru; Editing by Maju Samuel)

Online child abuse leading cybercrime in PH

Marje Pelayo   •   April 16, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has noted that online child abuse is the top cybercrime in the Philippines.

According to UNICEF Country Representative Julia Rees, the massive presence of Filipino children online makes them “vulnerable to online sexual abuse and exploitation.”

UNICEF argued that such crimes are made possible with new technologies, such as live streaming which puts more Filipino children at risk.

The National Baseline Survey on Violence Against Children shows cyber violence is affecting one in two Filipino children aged 13 to 17.

“One in three internet users is a child,” Rees said.

“While the government has been trying to respond to the demand, breadth, scope and agility of the technology-not to mention the extreme accessibility of digital platforms – there must be more that we can do together to protect our children,” she added.

To help protect Filipino children from online abuse, the Australian Embassy in Manila pledged to provide P298 million over the next six years to fund the SaferKidsPH program which aims at reducing online sexual exploitation in the country.

Australian Ambassador to the Philippines Steven Robinson said, “Addressing online sexual exploitation and abuse of children is a global concern.”

Through the SaferKidsPH project, the Australian government reinforces its commitment to support the Philippine government in its efforts to address cyber abuse and violence which he considers a “complex form of human trafficking.” – Marje Pelayo

Rappler CEO faces NBI probe on cyber libel complaint

admin   •   January 22, 2018


MANILA, Philippines — Rappler CEO, Maria Ressa appeared at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Cybercrime Division, Monday, on a cyber libel complaint.

Ressa said that while they were given the opportunity to answer the complaint, she still sees another motive for it.

She thinks that the timing is suspicious because the probe was set after the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) revoked their license.

“Obviously, I still see this as a continuing pattern to harass and/or to shut down Rappler. I still see it as part of a concerted effort that will have an impact on press freedom in the country,” said Ressa.

She assured that Rappler is ready to face all complaints and cases which may be filed against them.

“We appeal to government authorities to do the right thing, to follow the rule of law, to give us due process. We have nothing to hide. We’ll completely submit ourselves as I did today,” said the CEO.

The cyber libel complaint was filed by businessman Wilfredo Keng last December over an article Rappler published in May 2012.

Said article was about then Chief Justice Renato Corona using Keng’s SUVs but also contain the businessman’s alleged involvement in human trafficking and drug smuggling.

While the article was written before the enactment of the Anti-Cybercrime Law, it was updated by Rappler in 2014 hence, the complainant argued that it could be qualified as a cyber libel.

But IT expert and Rappler counsel Atty. JJ Disini sees a defect in the complaint.

“The publication precedes or happened even before the law was in existence and therefore it causes into question whether or not it could apply in this case,” said the legal counsel.

He pointed out that it would be a big problem if this is affirmed since it would mean authors and publishers of decade-old articles could still be charged with cyber-libel, as long as these articles are accessible on the internet.

“If that constitutes libel today, then no one is safe. Anyone that has a libelous article that continues to be accessible today may be charged with libel and moving forward it affects everyone, not just media outlets, but also even bloggers, people who published some libel maybe ten years ago if somehow it finds its way online,” said the lawyer.

The NBI Cybercrime Division Chief said that they will study the law’s provision on this very carefully.

Rappler was given 10 days to submit their answer to the complaint.

As soon as they complied with the submission of their affidavit, we will immediately evaluate the case and submit a recommendation,” said Eduarte. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

 

DOJ indicts alleged Maute-ISIS recruiter for inciting rebellion, cyber crime

admin   •   December 13, 2017


MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) has filed almost 300 counts of inciting rebellion and cybercrime charges against Karen Aizha Hamidon – an alleged recruiter of Maute-ISIS terror group who was arrested by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Taguig City last October.

In a resolution, the DOJ has found probable cause to charge Hamidon before the Taguig City Regional Trial Court.

Almost three hundred messages in social media application telegram were discovered in her cellphone wherein she was supposedly trying to recruit Muslims all over the world to join the Maute-ISIS rebellion in Marawi City.

Senior Assistant State Prosecutor (SASP) Peter Ong said that each post corresponds to one count of inciting to rebellion.

“If the person incited by Karen has, in fact, went to Marawi and committed rebellion, Karen now will be liable as a principal by inducement. So it will just be one count of rebellion. However, we don’t know if [the person induced] did go to Marawi. So, absent of any evidence that they indeed went to Marawi, that they were really convinced by Karenn to go and commit rebellion, the offense will only be inciting to rebellion,” said the investigating prosecutor.

A P5.9-million bail was recommended for Hamidon who is currently detained at the NBI detention cell.

According to the NBI, Hamidon first became a person of interest in the middle of 2016 when she successfully recruited Indian nationals to join radical groups in Mindanao.

She was a wife of Mohammad Jaafar Maguid, the slain former leader of Ansar Khalifa Philippines, which was responsible for the Davao City night market bombing in September last year.

Hamidon has denied the allegations saying she is an ordinary blogger and preacher of Islam. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

 

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.