Boxing – Manny Pacquiao v Jeff Horn – WBO World Welterweight Title – Brisbane, Australia – July 2, 2017. Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Jeff Horn of Australia hits the canvas. AAP/Dan Peled/via REUTERS
Australia’s Jeff Horn stunned Filipino Manny Pacquiao in a bloody Brisbane battle to claim a unanimous 12-round decision and win the WBO world welterweight title in front of 50,000 fans at Lang Park on Sunday.
The unheralded 29-year-old former schoolteacher, who improved his record to 17-0-1, was awarded the win over the eight-division world champion by scores of 117-111, 115-113 and 115-113.
“I’m so happy, I can’t explain my feelings,” Horn said at ringside, before welcoming the prospect of a rematch.
“I’ve just believed since I was very young that I could do this.”
Pacquiao, one of the finest boxers of his generation, paid the price for a slow start and his inability to end the fight with a knockout.
The 38-year-old was knocked off his stride by the aggression of the taller and heavier Australian in the early rounds but looked to have weathered the storm as the fight wore on and Horn tired.
With blood pouring from both sides of his forehead after accidental butts, the southpaw launched a fierce assault on Horn which nearly ended the contest in round nine.
“Show me something in this round, or I’m going to stop the fight,” the referee warned the Australian.
Horn, who was cut above his right eye in round two, said he had been exhausted and rattled by the Filipino’s punches.
“It was hard, hard getting through that round, hard getting hit, getting caught with a shot and then continue on,” Horn said.
“(But) I was like ‘settle down everyone, I’m fine’. I was recovering pretty quickly.”
The Australian showed remarkable powers of recuperation as he battled gamely on through the final three rounds with Pacquiao, who earned the last of his 38 knockouts in 2009, unable to capitalize on his dominance.
The bout ended with the fighters in a clinch on the ropes and although Pacquiao gave a little shuffle and a grin to show he had plenty left in the tank, his fate was in the hands of the judges.
“Very tough. I didn’t expect that tough,” said Pacquiao, whose record now reads 59-7-2. “It’s okay, it’s part of the game. That’s the decision of the judges, I respect that.”
Pacquiao, who had hoped for an impressive victory to fire talk of another fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr, said he would “absolutely” return for the contracted rematch against Horn.
An emotional Horn brandished a walking stick as he also called out the undefeated Mayweather, who has come out of retirement at 40 years of age for a 12-round crossover boxing match against mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor.
“This is no joke, which one does he want? The walking stick or the gloves?” the Queenslander said.
The loss stunned people in the Philippines, where Pacquiao, now a high-profile senator, has long been a national hero.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman, Ernesto Abella, said the loss “would not diminish the honors he bestowed to the people and to the flag”.
“Nothing will change: Senator Manny Pacquiao will remain our People’s Champ,” Abella said.
(Reporting by Nick Mulvenney, additional reporting by Martin Petty; Editing by John O’Brien/Peter Rutherford)
Revived Pacquiao stuns Matthysse to claim welterweight crown
Boxing – WBA Welterweight Title Fight – Manny Pacquiao v Lucas Matthysse – Axiata Arena, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – July 15, 2018 Manny Pacquiao in action against Lucas Matthysse REUTERS/Lai Seng Sin
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) – Manny Pacquiao put on a dominant display to stun defending champion Lucas Matthysse with a seventh-round knockout and claim the WBA welterweight title in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday.
The 39-year-old Filipino legend looked focused and busy from the opening bell and had the 15,000 fans at the Axiata Arena on their feet when he sent his Argentine opponent to the canvas three times in total with an array of clubbing blows.
The southpaw dropped his opponent for the final time with a brutal uppercut and the win, his first inside the distance since 2009, improves the eight-division world champion’s record to 60-7-2.
“I’m surprised. Matthysse is a very tough opponent,” Pacquiao said in a post-fight interview following a performance in which he showed glimpses of the spectacular form that catapulted him to the top of global boxing over a decade ago.
“I knocked him down and that’s a bonus for being patient in the fight, and working hard in training.”
Pacquiao set the pace early, probing for openings and moving menacingly around the ring as he dropped Matthysse for a first time in the third round with an uppercut after a flurry of punches had forced the Argentine onto the defensive.
Unable to gain a foothold against Pacquiao’s swarming attacks, Matthysse (39-5-1) looked to land on the counter but was forced to take a knee towards the end of the fifth round when he was visibly shaken by a right hook to the temple.
Referee Kenny Bayless called off the fight after two minutes and 43 seconds of the seventh round when Matthysse buckled following another stiff uppercut and spat out his mouthguard as he was being counted.
The win, in his first bout since losing the WBO welterweight title to unheralded Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane a year ago, gives Pacquiao his 11th world title in an incredible career that has made him a national hero in his native Philippines.
Reporting by Joseph Sipalan; Editing by John O’Brien
Boxing: Pacquiao targets more bouts after Kuala Lumpur showdown
Philippine boxing icon Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao and welterweight world title holder Lucas Matthysse pose for photographers during a news conference for their upcoming WBA “regular” welterweight title fight, at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia April 20, 2018. REUTERS/Lai Seng Sin
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) – Manny Pacquiao believes he has “a couple more fights” left in him before he retires, starting with his first contest for more than a year when he faces Argentine WBA welterweight world champion Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur this July.
“Definitely this is not my last fight,” the 39-year-old Filipino said at a news conference in the Malaysian capital on Friday to promote the fight.
“I want my last fight to be in the Philippines, but I still have a couple more fights till I retire,” said the former eight-division world champion and serving senator in his homeland.
Pacquiao, who returns to action for the first time since losing on points to Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane last July, said he expected the July 15 bout at the Axiata Arena to be “a real boxing fight”.
“Matthysse’s style is very aggressive. He’ll want to come inside and fight toe-to-toe. You won’t see running or dancing in the ring,” said Pacquiao, who has a 59-7-2 record with four of those losses coming in his last nine fights.
Matthysse (39-4), who will be making his first title defense, said he expected a “big fight” but believed he had what it took to keep his WBA welterweight crown.
“I’m a pretty big puncher with both hands,” said the 35-year-old Matthysse, who beat Thailand’s Tewa Kiram with an eighth round knockout to claim the vacant title in January.
“But more importantly my conditioning… gives me confidence to win this fight,” he said.
Reporting by Joseph Sipalan; Editing by John O’Brien
Boxing: Pacquiao not closing the door on trainer Roach
Philippine senator and boxing icon Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao (L) poses for a picture with welterweight world title holder Lucas Matthysse, for their upcoming WBA “regular” welterweight title fight in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, during a news conference in a hotel in Paranaque city, metro Manila, Philippines April 18, 2018. REUTERS/Romeo Ranoco
MANILA (Reuters) – Manny Pacquiao has not decided on the fate of his long-time American trainer Freddie Roach, the Filipino said as he prepares for his bout against Argentine welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse for the World Boxing Association (WBA) crown in July.
“First, I would like to clarify about that issue with Freddie Roach,” the 39-year-old eight-division world champion told a news conference on Wednesday to promote the fight which will take place in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
“Freddie and I… we’re like a close family, and I didn’t make any decision yet about Freddie Roach, but if, assuming, I will make a decision about Freddie Roach and choose Buboy Fernandez as head coach for this fight, I’m still not closing the door with Freddie.
“We just want to try and experience how Buboy will handle this one fight and after that we go back to Freddie,” said Pacquiao, who last fought in a unanimous points loss to Australian Jeff Horn in July last year.
Pacquiao also expressed his desire for a bout in Manila, possibly against Ukrainian Vasyl Lomachenko, after he fights Matthysse.
“That’s one of my plans, fighting Lomachenko, and also my plan is to have a fight here in Manila. So either Lomachenko or anybody as long as it’s here in Manila, no problem. It’s going to be exciting.”
Matthysse, who beat Thailand’s Tewa Kiram to win the vacant WBA welterweight belt in January, said he would fiercely defend the title.
“Sure, you know, Manny’s won so many titles. He’s done so much in boxing. I’ve only won one title and I’m not going to give it up. I’ll die for it if I have to.
“He’s had a great history in boxing and this is my time, this is my time, and I’m going to defend this title until death,” added the 35-year-old.
Reporting by Ronn Bautista; Writing by Amlan Chakraborty; Editing by Ken Ferris