‘Boga’ or PVC cannon tops list of injury-causing firecrackers; number of victims decline by 50% – DOH
Marje Pelayo • December 31, 2018 • 2087
Boga | Photo: Gintong Pluma at English Wikipedia
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) recorded a total of 55 firecracker-related injuries as of Sunday morning (December 30).
Most of the victims, 13 of them, were injured after using ‘boga’ which makes it the number one injury-causing firecracker at present.
“Ang talagang top natin ngayon iyong boga dahil mas uncontrolled siya, unsafe siya. Pangalawa iyong ating mga trianggulo iyong parang labentador na malaki at tsaka kwitis,” said DOH USec Eric Domingo.
Despite this, Domingo noted the significant decline in the number of firecracker-related cases this year which is lower by 50% than the same period last year and a record low of 75% or 166 cases as compared to the record in the past five years.
Alongside the implementation of Executive Order 28 which bans the use of firecracker in the country, many Filipinos have acknowledged the harm and damage that firecrackers may cause that’s why they prefer not to attempt using it just to join the festivities.
Several Filipinos say they would rather watch fireworks display than to risk using firecrackers.
Ayoko po baka kasi maputukan ako. Mapuputol po ang kamay ko,” said John Mark Saludo.
“Gastos lang iyan kapag bumili ka ng paputok. Meron kaming tururot para sa mga bata para walang aksidente,” noted Gaudencio Fermajo.
“Sa bahay lang ako siyempre doon lang ako mag-kain. Hindi ako magpapaputok kasi ayaw ko masugatan ang kamay ko. May Diabetes ako,” said Nony Suarez.
“Bawal nga iyan. Mahuhuli tayo diyan mahirap iyon. Pwede iyon na lang pagsalubong sa bagong taon, torotot at saka magsisisigaw na lang ako,” Moling Magan said.
Meanwhile, the DOH constantly reminds the public to refrain from using firecrackers so as not to add to the casualties and to welcome the new year safe.
“Nakikiusap pa rin kami sa ating mga kababayan na sana po iwasan na ang mga paputok. Ito ay injury at mga kapansanan na maaari talaga nating ma- prevent. Huwag tayong gumastos ng pera na susunugin lang tapos iyong mga anak pa natin iyong mapipinsala at magkakaroon ng kapansanan. Marami pong ibang paraan naman para salubungin ang bagong taon,” Usec. Domingo said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) has tapped the service of military hospitals amid following the declaration of national dengue alert.
According to DOH Spokesperson Eric Domingo, they have asked the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to be on standby in case the number of dengue cases increases beyond government hospitals’ capacity.
“Ang PNP at ang AFP natin may mga hospitals din naman sila and we have to network with them in case na talagang dumami ang pasyente (The PNP and the AFP also have hospitals and we have to network with them in case the number of patients increases),” Domingo said.
“Halimbawa may mga lugar na malayo sa amin tapos sila may hospital maari kaming makipagtulungan para ma- admit din ang mga pasyente sa mga hospitals nila (There are certain areas beyond our reach where military hospitals are located. We can ask for help to admit the patients there in their hospitals),” he added.
On Wednesday (July 17), Health Secretary Francisco Duque III met with the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Health Cluster to discuss measures to curb the sudden rise of dengue infections in the country.
The DOH is in cooperation with other agencies like the Department of Education (DepEd), the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in implementing actions in schools to prevent dengue, in educating the public on the dangers of dengue infection, and in coordinating with the local government units in destroying potential breeding grounds of dengue-carrying mosquitoes in different areas in the country.
“Kailangan talaga sa schools maglinis tayo, ma- educate natin iyong children at iyong parents kung paano iyong dapat natin gawin to prevent itong dengue at tsaka meron tayong changes sa mga patakaran sa school, (We need to have regularly clean up drive in schools and we need to educate the children and the parents on what to do to prevent dengue. Also, we have changes in school regulations,)” the DOH Spokesperson said.
Likewise, among the agencies’ action plans include designation of additional hospital rooms for dengue patients through Philippine Red Cross and the construction of extra hospital tents which can be used for emergency.
Domingo stressed the need to always be alert in providing the medical needs of dengue patients in order to prevent further deaths caused by dengue infection this year.
The DOH advises households to dispose stagnant water and dirty containers where dengue mosquitoes may breed.
Install protections such as window and door screens.
Likewise, do not let your child play or come near areas where mosquitoes are breeding.
“Maganda pa rin talaga naka- pantalon at long sleeves ang mga bata para hindi siya makakagat ng lamok (It is better to have your child wear long pants and long sleeves to prevent mosquito bites),” Domingo advised.
The DOH, as always, reminds the public to immediately bring the patient to the nearest hospital if symptoms of dengue manifest.
The agency can be reached through the DOH hotline numbers 711-1001 and 711-1002 for inquiry about dengue. — with reports from Aiko Miguel
Dengue cases in Zamboanga Peninsula rose to 81 percent, according to the Department of Health (DOH) 9. Cases had reached 1,743 from January 1 to March 7, 2019.
Based on the report of the DOH 9, Zamboanga City reported 719 dengue cases, a 213% increase compared to the same period last year which recorded 230 cases. Zamboanga del Norte, on the other hand, recorded 499 cases which is a 222 percent increase from last year’s 155 cases.
Meanwhile, Zamboanga Sibugay recorded 175 dengue cases; Isabela City , Basilan, 99 cases; and Zamboanga Del Sur with 251.
The DOH reminds residents to implement the 4-S campaign against dengue and work on controlling the mosquito population.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III previously said, “The first step to prevent dengue is within our homes. It is important to remove any space or container that can hold unnecessary stagnant water which may become breeding sites for mosquitoes.”—Aileen Cerrudo
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.