Breaking News
  • Malacañang suspends classes in all levels in Metro Manila, March 20, due to imminent threats posed by some groups.
Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

BOC suspends import permit accreditation of Mighty Corporation

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Thursday, March 16th, 2017

ATTY. ALVIN EBREO, Legal Service Director, Bureau of Customs

ATTY. ALVIN EBREO, Legal Service Director – Bureau of Customs

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) suspended Mighty Corporation’s privilege to import materials and tobacco products.

This came after the BOC issued a preventive suspension order on the customs accreditation of the Mighty Corporation due to violations of the agency’s regulations.

It can be recalled that last month, the BOC seized cigarette products with fake tax stamps at the warehouses of Mighty Corporation in Zamboanga City, General Santos City and San Simon, Pampanga.

“First of all this, is a Senate report. This is an official document from the Senate. Another reason is the issuance of WSD or the warrant of seizure and detention a collector issued in Zamboanga in connection with the seizure of cigarettes, fake or counterfeit tax stamps,” said Atty. Alvin Ebreo, legal service director of BOC.

The Customs also has a document from the fiscal intelligence unit of the Department of Finance which reveals the undervaluation in the importation of cigarette-manufacturing materials of the Mighty Corporation which has reached more than P100 million.

The BOC said there is a need for a thorough investigation to determine the amount in duties and taxes that Mighty Corporation has to pay.

The agency had also issued a preventive suspension order against Mighty Corporation in January 2014 in connection with the Customs bonded warehouse privileges of the said firm.

“This record would show, it would appear na January 2014 na inisyu nila, time pa ni Commissioner Sevilla.  From that time on wala silang attempt na any request na motion for reconsideration perhaps to lift the preventive suspension (This record would show it would appear that in January 2014 this was issued. This was during the time of Commissioner Sevilla. From that time on they made no attempt to request a motion for reconsideration perhaps to lift the preventive suspension),” Atty. Ebreo said

The BOC is now waiting for the management of the Mighty Corporation to respond to the allegations.

“We are giving the Mighty Corporation the privilege or the right to have also the legal remedies for the possibility of restoring their accreditation privileges so possible that they might also file for a motion for reconsideration and present evidence,” said the Customs legal service director.

UNTV tried to get the side of the Mighty Corporation however, it refused to comment on the matter.  —  Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

2 high-ranking BOC officials deny collecting “tara”

by UNTV   |   Posted on Tuesday, March 20th, 2018

(Left-Right) BOC Deputy Commissioner Edward Dy Buco and Deputy Commissioner Natalio Ecarma III

MANILA, Philippines — The two deputy commissioners of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) has denied involvement in corruption at the agency.

This is contrary to what Senator Panfilo Lacson had exposed in his privilege speech in August 2017 when he named them as among those who received “tara” from importers.

“I vehemently deny the inclusion of my office and my name,” BOC Deputy Commissioner Edward Dy Buco said.

Deputy Commissioner Natalio Ecarma III noted, “Syndicates that we are up against are deeply entrenched, well-funded, politically connected and highly influential,”

Meanwhile, during the 14th hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on the corruption issue in the BOC, Senator Richard Gordon said he did not see any solid pieces of evidence against the personalities in Senator Lacson’s tara list.

‘Walang naglabas ng ebidensya (Nobody presented evidence). I wish Senator Lacson will come out,” said Gordon.

Despite this, Customs chief Isidro Lapeña will continue to investigate the corruption issue in his agency.

“The investigation is a continuing one and this will cover not just those that were revealed by Senator Lacson, also those who are doing it who were not mentioned,” Lapena said. — Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

BOC surpasses revenue target collection for February

by UNTV   |   Posted on Saturday, March 3rd, 2018

FILE PHOTO: Bureau of Customs

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has surpassed its revenue target collection for the month of February this year.

The BOC had a target of P41.7-billion for this month, but it was able to reach a revenue collection of P43.6-billion.

Fourteen of the 17 ports of BOC across the country were able to surpass their February target collection. — UNTV News & Rescue



Tags: ,

Court orders transfer of Mark Taguba to PNP Custodial Center

by UNTV   |   Posted on Saturday, February 24th, 2018

Mark Taguba (center) under the custody of the National Bureau of Investigations

MANILA, Philippines — It was a sigh of relief for Customs broker Mark Taguba as the court granted his request not to be detained at the Manila City Jail.

Earlier on Friday, the Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 46 modified its order and directed Taguba’s transfer to the Philippine National Police (PNP) Custodial Center.

His lawyer, Atty. Raymond Fortun said that there are people who are out to harm Taguba after exposing corruption in the Bureau of Customs (BOC) during previous Senate inquiries.

“Madalas na pong mangyari iyan na nagkakaroon ng mga patayan doon sa loob mismo ng city jail (Killings inside the city jail itself are a common occurrence),” said Fortun.

The court chose PNP Custodial Center since it has custody of other high-profile accused including former Senator Bong Revilla and Senator Leila de Lima.

Due to a pending motion, Taguba’s arraignment was again reset to April 6.

His lawyer said that they want the case dismissed since the facts stated therein do not constitute importation of illegal drugs.

Taguba and eight others were accused of drug smuggling for the P6.4 billion shabu shipment that went past the Customs bureau.

His lawyer argued that he has nothing to do with the importation since his job is to facilitate the container after arriving at the port.

“Yung importation na sinasabi ay natapos na, na-consummate na yan as soon as yung barko ay nag-dock na dito sa port of Manila. Yung trabaho ni Mark is basically just to deliver yun pong container,” said Taguba’s legal counsel.

(The importation was consummated as soon as the ship docked at the port of Manila. Mark’s job is basically just to deliver the container.)

The court gave the Department of Justice (DOJ) 10 days to answer and oppose the motion. — Roderic Mendoza | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,