BOC destroys tons of seized illegal vape products, other goods
Robie de Guzman • September 14, 2020 • 791
MANILA, Philippines – Around 21 tons of unsafe and hazardous goods were destroyed in a facility in Trece Martires, Cavite, the Bureau of Customs (BOC)-Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) said on Monday.
In a statement, the BOC said the items, which included unregistered vape products, medicines and other supplies, were destroyed on Sept. 9.
The vape products were seized for lack of necessary importation permits from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the bureau added.
Vape products are used for inhalation of vapor created by an electronic cigarette and other similar devices. These items have cartridges filled with liquid that usually contains nicotine, flavorings ad chemicals.
The importation and use of vape products were highly regulated by the FDA in view of its noted health hazards, while the importation of unregistered vape products was prohibited under Republic Act No. 11467.
The BOC-NAIA similarly condemned expired food supplies, dietary supplements, medicines, medical kits and devices, glutathione products which were also imported without the necessary FDA permit.
These products can pose health risks if not disposed properly, the bureau said.
Part of the condemned goods last September 9 were other regulated items such as animal feeds, cements, electrical items, bulbs and batteries that were imported without necessary clearances.
The BOC said it will continue to check unsafe and hazardous goods arriving into the country without the proper approval and safety standards clearance to protect consumers and to ensure that only products certified by regulatory agencies with necessary permits are released in the country’s ports of entry.
MANILA, Philippines – The diversion to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) of international flights bound for the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) will be extended to June 12, Malacañang announced on Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the office of Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea has issued a memo extending the flight diversion “until 23:59 hours of June 12.”
Roque said this is to provide ample time for authorities to thresh out Cebu Province’s COVID-19 protocols for returning Filipinos, which differs from the directives issued by the national government.
International flights for MCIA were initially redirected to NAIA from May 29 to June 5.
“Ito po’y para maayos yung pag-implement ng IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force) arrival protocol sa Cebu,” Roque said in a media briefing.
The Cebu government requires passengers to undergo a test upon arrival at the airport while the IATF requires screening of passengers on the 7th day of their quarantine.
President Rodrigo Duterte last week met with Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia to discuss this difference.
Roque expects the Cebu government to comply with the specific protocols mandated by the IATF after the flight diversion period ends.
“Upon resumption of flights to Mactan-Cebu International Airport, the travel and testing protocols approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Infectious Diseases will be fully and seamlessly implemented,” Roque said, reading from the memo.
“Inaasahan po natin that on the 13th of June, the IATF protocols on arriving OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) and OFs (overseas Filipinos) will be implemented in Cebu. Yan po ay according to the memorandum issued by the executive secretary dated 5 of June 2021,” he said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Customs Port of NAIA confiscated a total of 2,520 reams of cigarettes with an estimated market value of P4 million misdeclared as “paper hand towel” bound for Australia.
In a report by BOC, the agency said the smuggled shipment was commissioned for export by a local company based in Novaliches, Quezon City, to South Geelong Victoria, Australia.
Upon physical examination by the assigned trade control examiner, it was instead found to actually contain 2,520 reams of cigarettes.
District Collector Carmelita Talusan already issued a warrant of seizure and detention (WSD) against the seized cigarettes for violation of Section 1400 (Misdeclaration) and Section 1113 (Property Subject to Seizure and Forfeiture) in relation to Section 117 of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act.
The case records shall also be referred to the Bureau Action Team Against Smugglers (BATAS) for possible case building and profiling against the personalities behind the foiled illegal exportation of tobacco products.
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs (BOC), through the Manila International Container Port’s (MICP) Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service (CIIS), reported the seizure of misdeclared shipment of red onions discovered on May 26.
Information gathered through intelligence efforts said the shipment originated from China and was consigned to a certain Potanion Trading.
It was subjected to 100% physical examination witnessed by members of CIIS Enforcement and Security Service’s Customs Anti-illegal Drugs Taskforce (ESS-CAIDTF), Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and Chamber of Customs Brokers Inc. (CCBI).
The shipment was originally declared as yellow onions but was later discovered to contain 60% red onions which was estimated to have a value of P3 million.
A warrant of seizure and detention was issued against the shipment for the violation of Section 1113 and Section 1401 of RA 10863 also known as the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA).
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.