MANILA, Philippines – Around 20 tons of forfeited goods were destroyed in Trece Martires, Cavite, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) said Thursday.
In a statement, the BOC said the shipment of goods include unserviceable computer parts, expired vitamins as well as expired medicines and food products which were declared unfit for human consumption for lack of necessary food and drug clearances.
These items were condemned and destroyed using the Thermal Decomposer (Pyrolysis) Facility of the Integrated Waste Management in coordination with the Food and Drugs Administration, the Optical Media Board, the National Telecommunication Commission, and the Commission on Audit.
The BOC explained the condemnation proceedings is in accordance with the provisions of the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA).
It is also in line with the directive of Customs Commissioner Rey Guerrero to clear storage facilities of abandoned and illegally shipped items to better facilitate trade within the port.
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has denied rumors of appointing a new chief for the Bureau of Customs, now being headed by former Armed Forces of the Philippine (AFP) chief of staff, Retired Gen. Ray Leonardo Guerrero.
The President said, however, that they had been talking about other possible personalities who can head the BOC.
Duterte also said that he is satisfied with Guerrero’s performance despite continuing reports of corruption inside the bureau.
“I am satisfied with General Guerrero, and he stays there and there are still some complaints so I’ll talk to him. Lalo na ‘yong mga tao na sinabi ko na paalisin na niya, some of them are lingering there. Sabihin ko kay Jagger, alisin mo ‘yan kasi ‘yan ang mga tao who have been there for 20 years, puro corruption ang ginawa,” the chief executive said.
The President made the clarification after a news article claiming that he has replaced Guerrero as Customs chief was published in a broadsheet last week. — mbmf
MANILA, Philippines — Bureau of Customs (BOC) Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero on Friday (Dec. 10) stated that he has not received any order from President Rodrigo Roa Duterte for him to step down from his post.
This is after a news article was released in one broadsheet claiming that he is soon to be replaced as Customs chief.
“I would not want to comment further doon sa news article. Hintayin na lang natin kung ano ang guidance ng palasyo. And nag- usap na rin kami ni Secretary of Finance so I am just waiting for iyong guidance,” Guerrero said.
Guerrero said that he will stay in his position as long as he is being permitted to by the President.
“Reasons don’t matter. Sabi ko we serve at the pleasure of the President. I’m a presidential appointee. Anytime pwede akong tanggalin ng appointing authority,” he added.
Guerrero further said that he even met the President at the AFP-PNP command conference last Tuesday and the chief executive has not mentioned anything regarding his said replacement.
The Customs chief also said that he is not familiar with the name William Lima, the person that the newspaper mentioned to be replacing him.
Guerrero maintained that he will just wait for any instruction from the President.
In the meantime, he said, he will be pushing for the full automation of the Customs Bureau to totally eradicate corruption in the agency. — (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs-Ninoy Aquino International Airport (BOC-NAIA) on Tuesday said it has intercepted a shipment allegedly containing kush weeds and liquid marijuana with an estimated value of P200,000.
The BOC-NAIA said the shipment was confiscated at the Central Mail Exchange Center in Pasay City on Monday, January 6.
The parcel was intercepted by the bureau in coordination with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and NAIA Inter-Agency Drug Interdiction Task Group.
The shipment, which was declared to contain a pair of shoes and chocolate, was identified to have originated from California.
The parcel was subjected to further examination after authorities detected the scent it emitted which was similar to marijuana shipments previously intercepted by authorities.
It was found to contain four packs of suspected kush weeds and ten cartridges of liquid marijuana.
The shipment was consigned to a certain Xavier Martin Bulos from Sampaloc, Manila, who was arrested when he claimed the parcel.
The BOC said Bulos will face charges for violation of RA 9165 also known as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 in relation to RA 10863 or the Customs Modernization Tariff Act.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.