MANILA, Philippines – Ber months mark the beginning of gift giving traditions which technology has made faster and easier nowadays.
The Bureau of Customs (BOC), however, once again warns the public against online scammers targeting online users’ hard-earned money.
Calling it ‘love scam,’ the BOC calls on the public not to be swayed by the email address – email@example.com – that operates on such schemes.
The BOC said it is a fake or bogus e-mail that victimizes online users by asking them to pay through personal bank account or money remittance in order to claim a package.
The agency urges the public to call the BOC Hotline numbers (02) 8705-6000, 09052997977, 09295035138 if they encounter such bogus e-mails or to confirm if the package being offered is from legitimate sources.
Inquiries may also be sent to the agency’s official e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Customs at the Manila International Container Port (BOC-MICP) on Monday said it is set to bury seized meat products that tested positive for the African Swine Fever (ASF) virus.
In a statement, the BOC said the meat products that were confiscated from a container van include boxes of dumplings, pork-chicken balls and roast chicken wings.
The container was consigned to Dynamic M Int’l Trading Inc. which arrived at the Manila North Harbor last December 11, 2019 from China and was put under an alert order for suspicion of containing misdeclared items.
The bureau said the abovementioned food items, particularly the pork-celery dumplings, indicated the presence of the ASF virus after they were subjected to examination and laboratory tests by the Veterinary Quarantine Services.
The agency noted that the seized items were not covered by any Sanitary permit from the Bureau of Animal Industry.
Agricultural items not covered by such permits may carry plant diseases and pests that can affect local agriculture.
The confiscated shipment violated the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and the Anti-Agricultural Smuggling Act of 2016, the BOC said.
An inter-agency team was ordered to immediately dispose of the shipment in order to prevent the spread of the ASF virus, it added.
The BOC, however, did not provide details on when and where it plans to dispose of the ASF-tainted meat products.
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has denied rumors of appointing a new chief for the Bureau of Customs, now being headed by former Armed Forces of the Philippine (AFP) chief of staff, Retired Gen. Ray Leonardo Guerrero.
The President said, however, that they had been talking about other possible personalities who can head the BOC.
Duterte also said that he is satisfied with Guerrero’s performance despite continuing reports of corruption inside the bureau.
“I am satisfied with General Guerrero, and he stays there and there are still some complaints so I’ll talk to him. Lalo na ‘yong mga tao na sinabi ko na paalisin na niya, some of them are lingering there. Sabihin ko kay Jagger, alisin mo ‘yan kasi ‘yan ang mga tao who have been there for 20 years, puro corruption ang ginawa,” the chief executive said.
The President made the clarification after a news article claiming that he has replaced Guerrero as Customs chief was published in a broadsheet last week. — mbmf
MANILA, Philippines — Bureau of Customs (BOC) Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero on Friday (Dec. 10) stated that he has not received any order from President Rodrigo Roa Duterte for him to step down from his post.
This is after a news article was released in one broadsheet claiming that he is soon to be replaced as Customs chief.
“I would not want to comment further doon sa news article. Hintayin na lang natin kung ano ang guidance ng palasyo. And nag- usap na rin kami ni Secretary of Finance so I am just waiting for iyong guidance,” Guerrero said.
Guerrero said that he will stay in his position as long as he is being permitted to by the President.
“Reasons don’t matter. Sabi ko we serve at the pleasure of the President. I’m a presidential appointee. Anytime pwede akong tanggalin ng appointing authority,” he added.
Guerrero further said that he even met the President at the AFP-PNP command conference last Tuesday and the chief executive has not mentioned anything regarding his said replacement.
The Customs chief also said that he is not familiar with the name William Lima, the person that the newspaper mentioned to be replacing him.
Guerrero maintained that he will just wait for any instruction from the President.
In the meantime, he said, he will be pushing for the full automation of the Customs Bureau to totally eradicate corruption in the agency. — (from the report of Aiko Miguel) /mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.