Bayan Muna urges Duterte to reconsider P2K SSS pension hike
admin • January 3, 2017 • 6965
Bayan Muna chairman Neri Colmenares (left) and President Rodrigo Duterte (right).
Members of Bayan Muna partylist is appealing to President Rodrigo Duterte to reconsider the proposed P2,000 across the board increase in Social Security System (SSS) pension.
President Rodrigo Duterte has previously stated that he has not yet approved the proposed pension hike following recommendation by his economic managers. Such reason dismayed the advocates of the bill.
“Well what the economic managers of President Duterte raised was surpising because this has long been a subject of debates. It was in 2011 when I filed the bill, yet SSS uses the same defense,” said Bayan Muna partylist chairman and former congressman Neri Colmenares.
This prompted the Bayan Muna Partylist group to urge president Rodrigo Duterte anew to further study the proposed P2,000 pension increase for retired members of SSS.
According to Cabinet secretaries Benjamin Diokno, Carlos Dominguez and Ernesto Pernia, there’s a possibility of bankruptcy in the state insurance company if there would be no restructuring between the contribution rate simultaneous with the proposed pension hike.
According to Congressman Carlos Zarate, who is the principal author of the resolution on pension hike in the Lower House, the initial P1,000 increase would only translate to P33 per day.
Colmenares, who is pushing the proposal, said that the government may subsidize the operating expenses of SSS to help the institution cope with pension increase.
“The government may subsidize it, for example, their operating cost of about P8-billion per year. If other government employees get their salary from government, in SSS, being also state employees, the government should pay their salaries”, Colmenares said.
In case the Presidet rejects the proposed pension hike, Colmenares said they would pursue bills on pension adjustments.
Lawmakers are already expecting the 1st tranche of the P2,000 pension increase this January in accordance to the joint resolution of Congress. – Nel Maribojoc | UNTV News and Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has belied the allegation of the group Bayan Muna that it is forcing local chief executives to support the Anti-Terrorism Bill.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, DILG Undersecretary and spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said the group’s claims is a “complete falsehood” and an affront to the integrity, intelligence and dignity of local government officials nationwide.
He also said that Bayan Muna should not look down on LGUs and assume that they cannot think for themselves.
“Ano naman ang tingin ng Bayan Muna sa mga LGUs, na wala silang sariling paninindigan at pag-iisip? Ramdam ng LGUs ang panawagan ng kanilang mga kababayan na matagal ng isinusuka ang mga terorista,” Malaya said.
“Nagbubulag-bulagan lamang ang Bayan Muna sa mga hinaing ng mga LGU (local government units) at ng ating mga kababayan lalo na sa mga lugar na patuloy na sinisira ng mga terrorista gaya ng Marawi, Samar, Bikol, Caraga at marami pang iba,” he added.
According to DILG Secretary Eduardo Año, 784 local chief executives (LCE) made a “genuine stand” in support of the Anti-Terrorism Bill despite the “massive disinformation campaign” against the measure.
Of the 784, Año revealed that 43 are governors which is 53% of the total number nationwide. Some 68 city mayors and 673 municipal mayors have also epressed their support for the passage of the controversial bill
“So far, we have almost half of the LGUs who are one with us in supporting the Anti-Terrorism Bill. It is huge morale booster for us sapagkat ito ay nangangahulugan lamang na hindi kami nag-iisa sa laban na ito,” he said.
The DILG chief also noted that Region IV-A has the most number of LCEs supporting the measure with 96, followed by Region II with 91; 88 for Region III; CAR with 80; and Region I with 73. Other regions such as MIMAROPA has 58; Region XI with 53; Region VI with 52; and Region XII with 50 while Regions V, VII, and XIII have 24, 21, and 32 apiece. NCR and Region VIII have six and four, respectively.
“We have been receiving support from all LGUs across the country, lalo na sa mga malalayong LGU na nagiging biktima ng terorismo at naniniwala na itong bill na ito ang sagot sa kanilang mga problema at pagdurusa,” he said.
He said that among the local chief executives who have conveyed their support for the bill are Metro Manila Mayors League Chairman Edwin Olivarez, San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora; Makati City Mayor Abby Binay; Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno; Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez; and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.
Año believes that support for the Anti-Terrorism Bill from the LGUs are expected to increase as more continue to back the bill down at the grassroots.
MANILA, Philippines – The Social Security System (SSS) is now accepting applications from members who wish to apply for loan under the COVID-19 Calamity Loan Assistance Program.
The agency said a member may loan up to P20,000 depending on his or her monthly salary credit in the past 12 months.
The SSS specified that to qualify, the applicant must have remitted his or her contributions in the past 36 months, with a local address in the Philippines and has no existing obligations with SSS particularly under the loan restructuring program or previous calamity loan programs.
However, those who already have received permanent disability and retirement benefits are not qualified to apply.
Once approved, members may claim the loaned amount through the Unified Multipurpose Identification card, the Union Bank of the Philippines Quick Card or in a form of check which will be sent to the applicant’s billing address.
Application runs until September 14, 2020.
This is SSS’ way of helping its members who are affected by the current coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic which has impacted the country more than any other calamity in the past.
Out of consideration for its members, the SSS extended the loan payment period to 27 months and lowered the interest rate to 6% as compared to the 24 months-10% interest of the previous calamity loans.
The SSS said it can accommodate up to 1.74 million member-applicants for the calamity loan.
MANILA, Philippines — The Social Security System (SSS) is extending its contribution payment deadline to June 30 to accommodate more members who wish to settle their dues.
The deadline was supposed to be Monday (June 15).
Regular employers may proceed to remit their employees’ contribution covering the months of February, March and April.
Meanwhile, household employers, voluntary, self-employed and non-working spouse members may remit their pending contributions for the first quarter of 2020.
The SSS main office in Diliman, Quezon City expressed concern over the influx of members going to their branches which resulted in a breach of government-imposed health protocols such as physical distancing.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.