Bato eligible for police escorts after receiving death threats — PNP
by admin | Posted on Monday, October 15th, 2018
Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa
MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police chief, PDG Oscar Albayalde said the PNP is ready to assign police escorts to its former chief, PDG Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa despite his intention to run for Senate as he has allegedly been receiving death threats from drug lords.
Comelec has a ruling that candidates and private individuals are not allowed to have police escorts during election period.
Albayalde added that Dela Rosa is allowed to have two security details owing to his former position as chief of PNP.
He explained that based on PNP regulations, all retired generals who hold a two-star rank and higher are allowed to have two police escorts.
Should Dela Rosa wish to have more than two security details, he has to secure the President’s approval. — Lea Ylagan
by Maris Federez | Posted on Monday, July 8th, 2019
Senator Ronald dela Rosa has issued a public apology for his “shit happens” remark last week.
The senator’s statement stemmed from the death of a three-year-old girl during an anti-illegal drugs operation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Rodriguez, Rizal last June 29.
Dela Rosa admitted using wrong choice of words in detailing the said incident.
“Klaruhin ko na lang, hindi maganda ang dating doon sa parents ng bata na namatay. I would like to apologize to the family yung aking wrong use of term. Dapat ang sinabi ko doon instead na ‘shit happens’, dapat unfortunate [I would like to clear, it didn’t sit well with the parents of the dead child. I would like to apologize to the family for my wrong use of term. I shouldn’t have said “shit happens” but, rather, unfortunate],” Dela Rosa said.
The newbie senator promised to be very careful with his choice of words now that he is already a lawmaker. (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf
by Robie de Guzman | Posted on Friday, June 21st, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Friday that the voter registration for the next election is expected to resume on August 1, 2019 and will run until September 30, 2019.
“Voter registration is expected to run Aug 1 to Sept 30, 2019, inclusive of Saturdays & holidays,”Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a post on Twitter.
Jimenez said approximately two million new voters are expected to register in the said period.
“SK (Sangguniang Kabataan) voters need not register anew upon turning eighteen; their names will automatically be transferred to the regular List of Voters,” he added.
Comelec data showed there were more than 61 million registered voters in the last 2019 May Midterm polls. More than 18 million of the said number are from the youth sector or the so-called Millennials and Generation Z, born in the mid-90s and early 2000s.
The poll body has been urging Filipino voters to go out and exercise their right to suffrage in order to elect honest and deserving officials.
by Aileen Cerrudo | Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019
Youth group, Millenials PH, has filed a petition with the Commission on Elections (Comelec) seeking to disqualify former National Youth Commission chairperson Ronald Cardema as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list.
According to Millenials PH, Cardema is already over the age limit to qualify as representative of the Duterte Youth Party-list .
Based on their 17-page petition, Cardema is already 34 years old which is over the set age limit for the party-list representatives of the youth sector which is 25 to 30 years old.
“Makikita na may material misrepresentation talaga na nangyari and ang representation talaga ng Duterte Youth ay youth sector (There really is a material misrepresentation. The representation of the Duterte Youth is the youth sector),” according to Millenials PH Spokesperson Aunell Ross Angcos.
Former Comelec Chairman Atty. Sixto Brillantes Jr., who accompanied the youth group to file the petition said Comelec should withhold Cardema’s certificate of proclamation.
“Dapat matanggal na muna ito at pumalit na ang tunay, iyong legitimate. Kaya kami pumirma rito. Willing kami i-prosecute ito diretso dito sa Comelec hanggang sa Supreme Court kung kailangan (It should be withheld first and should be replaced with the legitimate [representative]. So we signed here. We are willing to prosecute this straight to Comelec up to the Supreme Court if needed),” he said.
Comelec Commissioner Rowena Guanzon previously said that the Duterte Youth party-list is registered as a youth sector party-list in the 2019 elections.
Meanwhile, Cardema defended that Duterte Youth is registered as a party-list group to uplift the youth and professional sector which has no age limit.
Duterte Youth won one seat in Congress. However, five of the party-list nominees withdrew their nomination, including Cardema’s wife, Ducielle Marie Suarez.
The Comelec poll body is currently conducting a hearing for the petition against Cardema.—AAC (with reports from April Cenedoza)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.