Authorities arrest Ampatuan massacre fugitive

Robie de Guzman   •   January 6, 2020   •   639

Faisal Dimaukom

MANILA, Philippines – One of the at-large suspects in the 2009 Ampatuan massacre has been finally caught after evading arrest for over a decade, authorities said on Monday.

The Police Regional Office Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (PRO BARMM) identified the arrested suspect as 42-year old Faisal Dimaukom, also known as Kagi Faizal.

Police said Dimaukom was apprehended early Monday in an operation launched at Barangay Kabinge, Datu Saudi Ampatuan in Maguindanao.

The focus operation was jointly conducted by elements from the Regional Intelligence Division of PRO BARMM, Regional Mobile Force Battalion 14 and DSA MPS.

Recovered from Dimaukom’s possession was an F1 Fragmentation hand grenade.

The suspect was turned over to Parang Municipal Police Station for documentation and proper disposition.

Dimaukom is among the 80 out of nearly 200 suspects in the massacre who were at large when the Quezon City Regional Trial Court (QC RTC) Branch 221 released last month its verdict on the gruesome killing.

On December 19, QC RTC Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes handed down a guilty verdict to some members of the political Ampatuan clan, including former Datu Unsay Mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr., former Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Governor Zaldy Ampatuan, Anwar Ampatuan Sr., Anwar Ampatuan Jr., and Anwar Sajid Ampatuan, for their involvement in the murder of 57 people, including members of the media.

READ: Ampatuans convicted in massacre case head to Court of Appeals

READ: Kin of Ampatuan massacre victims seek higher civil damages

Originally, there were 58 victims in the massacre but the 58th person, photographer Reynaldo Momay of the local paper Midland Review, was declared missing after his body was not found in the scene.

The ambush happened when 32 members of the media were on their way to a local Commission on Elections office to cover the filing of then gubernatorial bet Esmael Mangudadatu – a political rival of the Ampatuans.

Six of the victims were not part of the Mangudadatu supporters and the media convoy.

The Ampatuan massacre is considered the worst election-related violence and attack on press freedom in the Philippines.

Fight is not yet over for kin of Ampatuan massacre victims

Aileen Cerrudo   •   November 23, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The fight continues. After eleven years since the Ampatuan Massacre, and a year after the verdict, the victims’ kin continues to fight for justice.

Forty-three individuals were found guilty, including five members of the Ampatuan family.

Mary Grace Morales, who lost her husband and a brother, expressed her dismay, saying that there are suspects that are still at large. Morales lamented several of the accused were able to bail out.

Iyong mga convicted na mga Ampatuan ay nag-file pa ng bail sa higher court so paano po nila nasasabi na tapos na ang kaso (Several of the convicted Ampatuans filed a bail in the higher court, how can they say that the case is over)?” she said.

Atty. Nena Santos, one of the lawyers for the victims, said there are still 76 first wave suspects still at large.

She also said they already filed an appeal to increase the civil damages to be received by the victims but the Supreme Court still has no final decision on the matter.

Meanwhile, Reynafe Momay-Castillo, the daughter of Photojournalist Reynaldo Momay, still insists that her father is among the victims of the massacre. The court ruled out his father as one of the victims since his body was not found.

“I can only wish one day that 57 will be up by one since it matters more to me than before. Let us remember that the 58th victim was my father and that the victim is Reynaldo Bebot Momay,” she said.

Atty. Santos also lamented that out of the 48-second wave of suspects, 40 were dismissed and 8 had no verdict.

Nakapagtaka ito kasi lahat ng mga hindi nag-file ng counter-affidavit natanggal pa rin sa kaso (It makes one wonder that those who did not file a counter-affidavit were also dismissed),Santos said.

The lawyers and victims of the Ampatuan Massacre still believe that the case will remain unresolved as long as there is no final decision on the pending cases. —AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

Cop linked to 2009 Ampatuan massacre surrenders to CIDG

Robie de Guzman   •   January 22, 2020

Police Officer Ysmael Baraquir

MANILA, Philippines – A police officer tagged in the 2009 Ampatuan massacre case has surrendered after more than 10 years of hiding, authorities said Wednesday.

Police Officer Ysmael Baraquir of the Maguindanao Provincial Police Office surrendered to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) regional field unit 15 around 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Barangay Linandangan, Pagalungan in Maguindanao.

Police said they took Baraquir into custody based on an arrest warrant for 56 counts of murder signed by Quezon City Regional Trial Court (QC RTC) Branch 221 Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes.

Baraquir is also listed in the national level most wanted persons, according to a report to CIDG acting director Brig. Gene. Joel Napoleon Coronel.

Earlier, two massacre suspects were separately arrested by authorities in Maguindanao after the court released last December 2019 its verdict on the gruesome killing.

On December 19, QC RTC Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes handed down a guilty verdict to several members of the political Ampatuan clan, including former Datu Unsay Mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr., former Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Governor Zaldy Ampatuan, Anwar Ampatuan Sr., Anwar Ampatuan Jr., and Anwar Sajid Ampatuan, for their involvement in the murder of 57 people, including members of the media.

Originally, there were 58 victims in the massacre but the 58th person, photographer Reynaldo Momay of the local paper Midland Review, was declared missing after his body was not found in the scene.

The Ampatuan massacre is considered the worst election-related violence and attack on press freedom in the Philippines.

Another Ampatuan massacre fugitive arrested

Robie de Guzman   •   January 10, 2020

Ampatuan massacre suspect, Gambayan Kasim, also known as Lori Alip

MANILA, Philippines – Another at-large suspect in the 2009 Ampatuan massacre has been finally caught after eluding arrest for over a decade, authorities said Friday.

Police Regional Office-Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (PRO-BARMM) identified the suspect as 47-year old Gambayan Kasim, also known as Lori Alip.

The PRO-BARMM added that Kasim, an alleged member of a private armed group, was arrested after he was served a warrant of arrest on Thursday, January 9 at Barangay Timbangan in Shariff Aguak town in Maguindanao.

Authorities recovered a hand grenade from Kasim’s possession.

During the operation, Kasim’s alleged cohort, identified as Edsrail Guiomla alias Nas Guiomla, fired shots at the operatives.

Police retaliated and injured Guiomla. He was rushed to a hospital but was declared dead upon arrival.

Recovered form Guiomla was a caliber .45 gun and 13 sachets of suspected shabu (crystal meth).

Police said Kasim and the collected pieces of evidence were turned over to proper authorities for documentation and disposition.

Last January 6, police also nabbed Faisal Dimaukom alias Kagi Faizal, who is one of the suspects in the massacre.

Dimaukom was arrested during an operation in Datu Saudi Ampatuan.

Kasim and Dimaukom are among the 80 out of nearly 200 suspects in the massacre who were at large when the Quezon City Regional Trial Court (QC RTC) Branch 221 released last month its verdict on the gruesome killing.

On December 19, QC RTC Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes handed down a guilty verdict to some members of the political Ampatuan clan, including former Datu Unsay Mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr., former Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Governor Zaldy Ampatuan, Anwar Ampatuan Sr., Anwar Ampatuan Jr. and Anwar Sajid Ampatuan, for their involvement in the murder of 57 people, including members of the media.

Originally, there were 58 victims in the massacre but the 58th person, photographer Reynaldo Momay of the local paper Midland Review, was declared missing after his body was not found in the scene.

The Ampatuan massacre is considered as the worst election-related violence and attack on press freedom in the Philippines.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.