Australia considering offering safe haven for Hong Kong residents
UNTV News • July 2, 2020 • 474
Australia is considering safe haven proposals for Hong Kong residents, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Thursday (July 2), after China imposed a new national security law on the financial hub.
The law punishes crimes of secession, subversion, and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison in Hong Kong, which was guaranteed freedoms not enjoyed on the mainland under a “one country, two systems” formula at its 1997 handover.
China says the law is necessary to tackle secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces following anti-government protests that escalated in June last year and plunged the city into its biggest crisis in decades.
Authorities in Beijing and Hong Kong have repeatedly said the law will not affect Hong Kong’s rights and freedoms, nor investor interests.
The passage of the law has drawn international condemnation and more than 300 people on Wednesday (July 1) were arrested as protesters took to the streets in defiance of the sweeping security legislation. (Reuters)
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) said it has already tested the close contacts of the Filipina domestic helper who tested positive for the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) variant in Hong Kong.
The results of the genome sequencing on her samples will be out this week.
Meanwhile, the government was able to trace all of her contacts and they are all under quarantine and being monitored.
“Lahat po sila mino-monitor. Nakakuha na rin po tayo sa kanila ng (All of them are being monitored. We also collected from them) specimens for RT-PCR at the same time for the whole genome sequencing,” explained Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.
“So pinoproseso na po ngayon ang kanilang mga samples at maaaring bukas o sa Huwebes ay lumabas na po ang mga resulta nito (Their samples are now being processed and perhaps tomorrow or Thursday, the results will be out),” she added.
So far, the Philippines has yet to detect the new variant inside its borders. –MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday (January 6) released additional information about the carrier of a new COVID-19 variant detected in Hong Kong.
According to a report provided by the Hong Kong International Health Regulations National Focal Point in collaboration with the country’s Center for Health Development, the case is a 30-year-old Filipino from Cagayan Valley.
The report said the Filipina left the region on December 17, 2020 and upon arrival in Metro Manila on December 18, underwent quarantine as per workplace protocol. The following day she was tested using RT-PCR which yielded negative result.
She left for Hong Kong on December 22 and underwent quarantine after arrival. After 10 days on January 2, she underwent RT-PCR testing again which tested positive and detected with the new COVID-19 variant from the UK.
Hong Kong authorities said she remains in isolation and in stable condition.
Contact tracing is underway here in the Philippines, the DOH said, as the flight manifest has been obtained while the agency is awaiting the result of contact tracing being done by their counterparts in Hong Kong.
“There is also ongoing contact tracing by the concerned epidemiology and surveillance units in Cagayan Valley Region and NCR,” the DOH concluded.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.