At least P4-B needed for relief ops, rehab works in Mindanao quake-hit areas – NDRRMC

Robie de Guzman   •   November 7, 2019   •   613

Soldiers and rescue workers inspect a damaged hotel in the aftermath of a 6.5 magnitude earthquake, in Kidapawan city, Cotabato province, Philippines, 31 October 2019. EPA-EFE / CERILO EBRANO

MANILA, Philippines – The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Thursday said it needs at least P4-billion for the initial rehabilitation and reconstruction works in areas heavily-hit by recent earthquakes in Mindanao.

NDRRMC executive director Ricardo Jalad said they have already presented a recommendation to the President during a Cabinet meeting in Malacañang on Wednesday night.

The recommendation includes the sustainment of relief operations and fund requirements for reconstruction and rehabilitation works in quake-stricken municipalities.

Part of the fund will also be used to help local government units whose calamity funds have already been used up.

“Kasama na ‘yung mga initially identified reconstruction projects by DPWH. Not all of the amount of P4 billion is needed immediately,” Jalad told reporters in a briefing.

The NDRRMC chief, however, clarified that the said amount is still tentative as the exact amount for the necessary works will still be determined in the agency’s post-disaster assessment.

Jalad added that relief operations in evacuation centers by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) are still ongoing.

Other government agencies, including the Philippine Navy, also sent additional assets such as mobile kitchens, water treatment, and cargo trucks, to help in relief efforts.

Jalad also said they are now coordinating with concerned agencies regarding proposals on housing projects and relocation for families who lost their homes due to recent earthquakes.

Residents from identified danger zones as recommended by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) and Mines and Geosciences Bureau will be given priority in these projects, he added.   

“‘Yung project proposals sinisimulan pa lang… We should see the implementation of the project the soonest,” Jalad said.

Three strong earthquakes jolted parts of Mindanao last month. A magnitude 6.3 quake struck on Oct. 16, magnitude 6.6 on Oct. 29 and magnitude 6.5 on Oct. 31.

The epicenters of these tremors were traced in Tulunan town in Cotabato.

The NDRRMC said the number of fatalities from these powerful temblors has climbed to 28 while more than 400 people were injured. The quakes affected thousands of families and destroyed many structures. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Harlene Delgado)

NDRRMC, nagsagawa ng online earthquake drill

Robie de Guzman   •   September 10, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Nagsagawa ang National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) ng nationwide simultaneous earthquake drill ngayong Huwebes.

Ngunit hindi katulad dati, virtual o online lamangito ginawa dahil sa banta ng novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Ayon kay Mark Timbal, ang tagapagsalita ng NDRRMC, alinsunod ito sa mga ipinatutupad na panuntunan ng Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) sa pagsasagawa ng mass gathering sa gitna ng pandemya.

“Kailangan po talaga natin sumunod doon sa mga reglamento na bawal ang mga mass gathering at saka yung ating social distancing or physical distancing requirements,” ang sabi ni Timbal.

Ala-una ng hapon sinimulan ang programa kung saan tinalakay ang mga kahandaan sa mga sakuna, partikular na ng lindol.

Kasama rin sa mga napag-usapan ang kahalagahan ng pagkakaroon ng go bag  na naglalaman ng mga mahahalagang gamit at pagkain sa panahon ng sakuna.

Pagpatak naman ng alas-dos ng hapon, idinaos naman ang isang ceremonial pressing of the button na hudyat ng pagsasagawa ng duck, cover and hold procedure.

Nakiisa rito ang ilang tauhan ng iba’t ibang ahensiya ng pamahalaan pati na ang ilang netizen na nag-post ng kanilang mga larawan sa social media.

Ayon kay Timbal, itinuloy nila ang pagsasagawa ng drill dahil hindi pa rin naman nawawala ang posibilidad na magkaroon ng lindol sa gitna ng nararanasang pandemya.

“Napapansin po natin sa mga balita na sa iba’t-ibang parte ng Pilipinas, may mga nagaganap rin po na mga lindol. Ibig sabihin po ang mga panganib na kinahaharap noon ay hindi pa rin nawawala habang may pandemic,” ani ng opisyal.

Layunin rin ng drill na maipalala sa publiko ang palagiang paghahanda sa posibleng pagdating ng mga sakuna at kalamidad. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Vincent Arboleda)

NDRRMC to hold nationwide simultaneous online earthquake drill on Sept 10

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 7, 2020

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) will be conducting various online activities for the Third Quarter Nationwide Simultaneous Earthquake Drill (NSED).

The NDRRMC through the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) will hold various online activities to continuously instill earthquake preparedness in people amid the pandemic.

“A webinar on earthquake preparedness and response in the new normal is scheduled for September 8 [from] 10 a.m to 12 nn. Resource persons from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) and Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will join the virtual discussion,” the post reads.

𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐑𝐌𝐂 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝟑𝐫𝐝 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐒𝐄𝐃The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council…

Posted by Civil Defense PH on Thursday, September 3, 2020

Civil Defense Administrator Ricardo Jalad meanwhile, called on the public to participate in these activities on earthquake preparedness.

“Despite our current situation, we must bear in mind the importance of keeping ourselves safe. I encourage the public to continuously engage in activities that promote earthquake safety,” he said. AAC

Malacañang reminds charity groups to coordinate with LGUs for relief ops after Jinggoy’s arrest

Marje Pelayo   •   May 5, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has reiterated its call on humanitarian groups to coordinate first with local government units (LGUs) before conducting relief operations especially when the government is implementing strict protocols in relation to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. 

The reminder comes after the arrest of former Senator Jinggoy Estrada for allegedly violating the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) when he distributed goods to the people of San Juan City.

Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque stressed President Rodrigo Duterte’s plea to set aside politics while the country is battling COVID-19.

“Nakikiusap po kami doon sa mga nais magkawanggawa na makipag-coordinate po tayo sa LGUs dahil doon sa pagbibigay ng ayuda sa ating mga kababayan, kinakailangan pong magkaroon ng safeguards nang hindi po magkumpol-kumpulan at dagsain kayo ng taumbayan [We ask humanitarian missions to coordinate with the LGUs because there must be safeguards in relief operations to make sure that people will not crowd the relief distribution],” Roque stressed.

Kinakailangang magkaroon ng hakbang upang masigurado ang social distancing habang namimigay ng ayuda [There must be protocols to make sure that social distancing is observed during relief distribution],” he added.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) explained that the former senator did not coordinate with San Juan City LGU in his relief operations which led to his arrest. 

According to DILG Secretary Eduardo Año, Estrada and his team are not even considered authorized persons outside of residence.

Nakita ko sa video may mga pagsuway sa physical distancing [I saw in the video that there were violations of social distancing protocols],” the official said.

Pati ang mga seniors at saka minors ay lumabas din ng bahay. Another pagsaway na naman iyon [Even seniors and minors went out of their houses. That’s another violation],” he added.

Though they understand the former lawmaker’s intention to help, Año said that does not exempt him from following strict ECQ guidelines. 

“Kung kaaway naman niya ang LGU, pwede naman ang OCD [If he’s in conflict with the LGU, he can go straight to the (Office of the Civil Defense)],” Secretary Año said.

Ibigay mo ang gusto mong ipamigay doon, and let OCD do its job dahil may mga ahensya naman sa ilalim niyan [You distribute goods there and let the OCD do its job as there are agencies under it that can assist you],” he added.

But Estrada maintained he did not violate any law but instead, local politics had a hand in his arrest. 

“Why are they singling me out? Just because I am an Estrada? Bawal na ba kaming tumulong dito sa [Are we banned from helping the people of] San Juan?” Estrada said. 

“Noon pa lang sinasabi niya na huwag tutulungan ang mga rolling store namin [Even back then he discouraged others from helping our rolling stores] So, you expect me to get a fair shake? I don’t think so,” he added.

However, Mayor Francis Zamora denied the allegation reiterating that Estrada violated the ECQ protocols.

Zamora noted that he even granted a one-day permit to the former senator’s daughter, former San Juan Vice Mayor Janella Estrada when she requested a permit for their rolling drugstore.

Zamora maintained that the arrest of Estrada had nothing to do with politics but with law and order especially amid the coronavirus pandemic wherein strict measures must be observed. 

The Estrada clan is the archrival of the Zamoras in San Juan City.

Estrada was later released from the San Juan Police Station. MNP (with reports from Harlene Delgado)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.