ASG leader and 3 others killed in AFP, PNP joint operation in Bohol

admin   •   April 24, 2017   •   5455

Courtesy: Benjie Talisic

Courtesy: Benjie Talisic

BOHOL, Philippines The joint forces of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) have launched operations anew against the Abu Sayyaf group (ASG).

Based on a joint statement released by the AFP Central Command and the Police Regional Office 7, an ASG leader in Bohol, Joselito Melloria, alias “Abu Alih” was killed in an operation in Sitio Lagsing, Barangay Bacani, Clardin, Bohol.

Melloria allegedly led the ASG members who were able to escape after an encounter with government troops in Inabanga, Bohol last week.

Aside from the ASG sub leader, three other lawless elements, who are still unidentified by authorities, were killed.

Three high-powered firearms were found at the encounter site.

President Rodrigo Duterte is determined to hunt down the remaining members of the Abu Sayyaf Group in Bohol.

In his speech during the opening ceremonies at the Palarong Pambansa 2017 in San Jose de Buenavista, the President made the statement on his planned implementation of martial law.

“I told the military, ‘Huwag kayong matulog. Hanapin ninyo at patayin ninyo ‘yan. I want them dead. Huwag mong ibigay sa akin ‘yang nang buhay.’  Iyong mga terrorism na they cut other people’s throat, slit it and just to decapitate, they are really animals. But if you want me to be an animal, eh sanay rin ako diyan. Pareho lang tayo. I can dish out, go down what you can 50 times over. Kainin pa kita sa harap ko, bigyan mo lang ako ng suka pati asin, I’ll eat you.  Pagalitin mo ako.  Do not… Wala… No quarters given, no quarters asked for these people,” he said.

(I told the military, ‘Do not sleep. Hunt them down. I want them dead. Do not give them to me alive. Terrorists cut other people’s throat, slit it and just to decapitate. They are really animals. But if you want me to be an animal, I can also do that. I can dish out. Go down what you can 50 times over. I can even eat you. Just give me vinegar, fish sauce and salt, I’ll eat you. Infuriate me. Do not… no quarters given, no quarters asked for these people.)

READ: 9 dead in joint military ops vs suspected Abu Sayyaf in Bohol

President Duterte warned lawless elements who spark violence in Mindanao.  He said if terrorist groups do not end their activities, the government will be forced to lock down Mindanao.

‘I said, ‘Do not force me to do it because it will be a very sad day for all of us.’ Hindi lang ‘yan terrorist ang tapusin ko, lahat na pati ugali namin kasali na ako. Magbago talaga ‘yan. No more arrogance and… tatapusin ko lahat. Kaya huwag ninyo akong pilitin kasi magbago talaga ang Mindanao. So I will lockdown Mindanao and tatapusin ko ‘yung mga problema pati tao,” he said.

(I said, ‘Do not force me to do it because it will be a very sad day for us. I will finish not just the terrorists, but all attitudes including myself. They will change. No more arrogance. I will put an end to all these. So do not force me, because Mindanao will really change. So I will lock down Mindanao, and put an end to the problems and even persons.)  —  Gladys Toabi | UNTV News & Rescue

Sinas assures proper coordination with UP management in conducting operations

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 21, 2021

Manila, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Debold Sinas has assured that the national police will have proper coordination with the University of the Philippines (UP) management with regard to conducting operations inside the campus.

Sinas said despite the abrogation of the UP-Department of National Defense (DND) accord, there is still an existing similar agreement between the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)-National Police Commission (NAPOLCOM) and UP.

The PNP chief added they will provide courtesy to the UP Administration before entering the campus. Sinas said the national police aim to maintain peace and order inside the campus.

“Hindi po kami makikialam sa management ng school. Hindi kami makikialam kung sino instructor nila, sino estudyante nila. Di po kami makikialam. Ang samin lang is for the maintenance of prevailing peace and order of the campus (We won’t interfere with the school management. We won’t interfere on who are the instructors or students. We aim for the maintenance of prevailing peace and order of the campus),” Sinas said.

He added that the PNP will wait for the decision of DILG Secretary Eduardo Año if there will be changes in the policies in conducting operations inside UP Campus. -AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Duterte: No franchise until arrears with government are settled

Marje Pelayo   •   January 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday (January 18) maintained that the government will not allow any franchise application to push through unless business owners settle their obligations with the government.

Though the President did not mention any particular business or company, his remark comes as lawmakers push for a franchise bill for ABS-CBN.

“No franchise will ever be implemented. Maski bigyan ninyo ng limang libong franchise iyan, hindi ko i-implement iyan. Settle your account with the government.” the President said.

In July 2020, the House of Representatives (HOR) Committee on Legislative Franchise denied ABS-CBN’s bid for a fresh 25-year franchise after it lapsed in May 2020.

On January 4, 2021, Senate President Vicente Sotto III filed his version of ABS-CBN franchise bill.

Earlier this month, Batangas 6th District Representative and House Deputy Speaker Vilma Santos-Recto filed her version noted as House Bill No. 8298. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

READ: ABS-CBN to stay off-air after House panel junks bid for new 25-year franchise

Duterte defends Galvez, slams critics over corruption claims in Sinovac deal

Marje Pelayo   •   January 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte vouched for vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr.’s plan to procure Chinese-made vaccine Sinovac for the government’s vaccination program against coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

This is amid questions on the efficacy of Sinovac and allegations of overpricing.

“I’m telling Gen. Galvez na ang game plan niya, sundin niya (follow his game plan). With or without the investigation, proceed and implement what we plan to do,” President Duterte said.

Duterte revealed that even before the pandemic worsened, he had appealed to Chinese President Xi Jinping regarding the vaccines. In response, the Chinese leader promised to help.

Long before na pumutok ito tumawag na ako kay President Xi Jinping. Tapos sabi ko wala kaming resources. We do not know how to make it. Please do not forget the Philippines,” Duterte said, recalling his conversation with Xi.

Just recently, China committed to provide the Philippines with 500,000 doses of Sinovac vaccines for free.

As for the corruption issue, President Duterte assured that the procurement process will go through the thorough review of Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez before the pricing and the documentary requirements are finalized. 

Duterte maintained that at this stage, the government is not allowed to speak of the pricing of the Sinovac vaccine as stated in the contract.

“They signed a memorandum of confidentiality. They cannot reveal the price kasi it will result in, na malugi ‘yung iba. — in some countries malugi sila, ‘yung ibang countries, hindi pare-pareho,” Duterte said.

He slammed critics who insist that there is corruption in the vaccine deal.

“Ito ayaw kong ‘yung pa-off tangent na mga tirada ninyo: ‘Bakit ba ito si Duterte Sinovac ng Sinovac?’ I-ano ninyo ang utak sa corruption-corruption. I don’t know why are you so occupied about corruption,” Duterte told critics. 

“Maghanap kayo hindi dito. Baka sa inyo. Baka sa departamento ninyo. Hindi dito sa akin, ” he added.

The Chief Executive also stressed that the government is not forcing anyone to receive and to purchase a particular brand of COVID-19 vaccine. Anyone who wants to procure vaccine other than Sinovac is free to do so just be responsible for the consequences.

“Almost everybody na kilala ko are scrambling to buy itong Pfizer. Well, to me I think it’s a good one. If you want to follow the experience of Norway, go ahead. Nobody will stop you,” he said referring to a report that 23 elderly patients died after receiving the Pfizer-made vaccine.

“We never prohibited anybody from buying from government. We are not — we are not selling, we are buying for the people, libre.” he said. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.