Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Ardot Parojinog wants transfer of cases to NBI – Albayalde

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Thursday, June 14th, 2018

Former Ozamiz City Councilor Ricardo “Ardot” Parojinog (photo courtesy of: OCPNP)

 

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Arrested former Ozamis City councilor Ricardo “Ardot” Parojinog is requesting that his case be handled by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

On Thursday, June 14, Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde confirmed Ardot’s request through a letter he sent to the Department of Justice (DOJ).

However, Albayalde said the decision to transfer Ardot’s cases to the NBI is really up to the DO, although he added that the PNP is ready to follow whatever the Court orders.

Meanwhile, Albayalde admitted that they have been receiving only limited information about Parojinog who is now detained in Taiwan for illegal entry. Since he is under the custody of Taiwan authorities, the Chief of Police said he is not allowed by Taiwan prosecutor to receive visitor or relatives.

Ardot Parojinog is the brother of former Ozamiz City Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr. and has been wanted by Philippine authorities for his involvement in illegal drugs.

He was not in the house when the police raided the Parojinog residence in July last year. He went on hiding for 10 months in Taiwan where he entered illegally.

He is included in President Rodrigo Duterte’s narcolist of politicians and has a P5 million bounty on his head. – Lea Ylagan / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , ,

Radio commentator Eduardo Dizon shot dead

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Thursday, July 11th, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – PNP Chief Police General Oscar Albayalde on Thursday (July 11) ordered an investigation on the shooting of Brigada News-Kidapawan City Radio Commentator Eduardo Dizon.

Dizon was shot by still unidentified suspects at around 10:00 PM Wednesday (July 10) along the National Highway, Quezon Boulevard corner Diversion Road Sinsuat Street in Kidapawan City.

Albayalde directed the Police Regional Office 12 under Director PBGen Eliseo Rasco to conduct an immediate investigation of the incident to identify the suspects and make them accountable before the law. – with details from Lea Ylagan

Tags: , , , ,

NBI releases owner of clinic tagged in dialysis scam

by Maris Federez   |   Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019

Dr. Bryan Sy, co-owner of WellMed Dialysis Center

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Sunday (June 16) released the co-owner of a dialysis center in Quezon City after being in detention for 6 days in connection with alleged fraudulent claims, his lawyer, Rowell Ilagan, said.

Dr. Bryan Sy, co-owner of WellMed Dialysis Center, was arrested on Monday (10) for allegedly ordering former employees to make claims for dialysis treatment from state-run Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth) on behalf of patients who had already died.

A Manila court on Saturday (June 15) ordered Sy’s release after his camp posted a P72,000 bail.

He was not, however, released immediately due to the absence of signatories from the NBI, said his lawyer.

Ilagan said Sy had to wait one more day and walked free from detention around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.

The Department of Justice indicted Sy on June 14, along with former employees Edwin Roberto and Leizel Aileen de Leon, for estafa through falsification of official documents.

Roberto and De Leon jointly bared the alleged WellMed racket, revealing that it made P800,000 in ghost PhilHealth claims from 2016 to 2018.

WellMed lawyer, however, denied the ‘ghost claims’ with PhilHealth.

They wrote DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra and NBI Director Dante Gierran on Thursday to demand Sy’s release because his detention had exceeded 36 hours.

Under Article 125 of the Revised Penal Code, authorities have a maximum of 36 hours to detain a suspect without filing any charge in court. /mbmf

Tags: , , , ,

NBI to use 2 ex-employees of Wellmed Dialysis Center as state witnesses

by Maris Federez   |   Posted on Thursday, June 13th, 2019

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is mulling over using two former employees of Wellmed Dialysis Center who turned whistleblowers on the “ghost dialysis” scam as state witnesses.

The two, Edwin Roberto and Liezel de Leon, are currently under the custody of the NBI following their arrest for estafa and falsification of document cases.

NBI deputy director for Forensic Investigation and spokesperson Ferdinand Lavin said, “Two others we are considering them, Aileen and Edwin Roberto, as possible state witnesses so they have to be criminally charged and later on, we will file a motion to exclude them from the criminal charges if they will be admitted into the Witness Protection Program.

Atty. Crispin Francis Jandusay, one of the legal counsels of the two whistleblowers, said they are now preparing the requirements for the two in applying to the Department of Justice Witness Protection Program.

“Up until now, at present, we are complying with the requirements and also of course, we don’t want to preempt because one of the requirements is the certificate of materiality issued by the investigating prosecutor,” Jandusay added.

He also said that the two decided to reveal the anomaly at the dialysis center because of guilt.

Meanwhile, the NBI is also preparing a complaint to be filed against Philhealth officials who were implicated in the controversy.

The agency, however, refused to disclose the identities of the said officials so as not to compromise their investigation.

The NBI also said that they are looking into alleged corruption in other treatment centers, institutions, and personalities involved in the issue.

“In order to not compromise the operations being conducted and investigations being conducted by our agents, we beg not to disclose yet the identities of institutions as well as the personalities involved.” (with reports from April Cenedoza) /mbmf

Tags: , , , ,