Arbitration case filed by the PH over West Philippine Sea issue against China, illegal – Chinese ambassador
admin • May 25, 2016 • 2751
Chinese Ambassador to United Arab Emirates Chung Hua.
In a published article by the Gulf News Agency in United Arab Emirates (UAE), Ambassador to UAE Chung Hua says the case filed on the territorial dispute has violated the international law.
And one reason why the Chinese government declines to participate in the arbitration case is to protect the international legal principle.
The Chinese official adds that China and the Philippines must settle the dispute through a bilateral negotiation and not through unilateral arbitration.
The case also violates the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and more Arab countries are now signifying support to China over the West Philippine issue, including the United Arab Emirates.
Chung Hua explains:
“UAE is a member of the Arab League. So, the stance of Arab League can stand for that of UAE. UAE has participated in the negotiation of Doha declaration, and Arab countries have provided general support to China’s stance, the bilateral agreements and the consensus reached in the region, which supports China’s territorial integrity and sovereignty, and the way that China chooses to settle issues with the involved countries according to UNCLOS. There are many foreign residents with different nationalities in UAE.
The article discussed the history of the South China Sea islands as allegedly part of the Chinese territories ever since.
It has been one of the top articles in the newspaper for a week and its viewpoint has been approved by 72 percent of the readers.
“The fact that this article is approved by the local readers means that our stance is righteous and conforms to the international legal principles,” Ambassador Hua further added.
MANILA, Philippines – The Duterte administration stands firm that the Philippines’ position will not be compromised should a joint oil exploration with China in the West Philippine Sea pushes through.
This is in relation to the country’s arbitral award on the disputed territory against China.
“First, this lifting of the moratorium is an exercise of our sovereign rights. In no way it weakens the arbitral decision, and our MOU to explore a joint development program or cooperation with China, in no way that it weakens or gives away our sovereign rights,” noted Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi.
Recently, President Rodrigo Duterte approved the recommendation of the Department of Energy (DOE) to lift the suspension and once again issue a resume to work notice for service contractors for oil exploration in the West Philippine Sea.
“Although sovereign rights are defined as exclusive rights, that exclusive rights may be shared to others. The decision to share it is part of the sovereign rights,” explained Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque. –MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
There is no truth to the reports that President Rodrigo Duterte had been apologetic to President Xi Jinping when the former raised the arbitral ruling in the South China Sea in his recent visit to China.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin, Jr said the reports were a total fabrication and a complete lie.
“The reports that the President was apologetic in raising the arbitral award is a total fabrication, and in every aspect a complete lie. On the contrary, the President has, in my experience in his visits to China, always raise the Arbitral Award,” Locsin stressed.
Locsin also maintained that the president had been firm in insisting that China has to seek permission from the Philippine government before any of its warships incurs in Philippine waters.
“By insisting on, the President I admire him for this, on permission. But by China saying, yes we will ask for permission, we are now on the side of China in the revision of UNCLOS which is now asking for permission,” the DFA head added.
The official added that the Philippine government had been filing diplomatic protests to insist on the country’s rights in the disputed territory.
“And we have not withdrawn from a single square inch of what we claim is ours,” Locsin underscored.
The Philippines has filed 60 diplomatic protests under the Duterte administration. (from the report of Joan Nano) /mbmf
FILE PHOTO: A child holds national flags of China and the Philippines before President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte and China’s President Xi Jinping attend a welcoming ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China, October 20, 2016. REUTERS/Thomas Peter
MANILA, Philippines — The government believes that the possible joint oil exploration between the Philippines and China in the West Philippines Sea will help address surging oil prices and ensure the country’s energy security.
The government is eyeing to sign a formal agreement with China during President Xi Jinping’s visit to the country this year.
However, Malacañang clarified that the agreement will not be immediately implemented pending processes and studies to be undertaken on the matter.
“That’s why we are studying it and the administration is pushing for the joint exploration in the West Philippine Sea because based on the initial study, there is natural gas or diesel especially in what we call the Service Contract No. 72,” said Presidential Spokesperson Sec. Harry Roque. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.