Anti-pork barrel groups, nananawagan na suportahan ang panukalang batas upang tuluyan nang tanggalin ang pork barrel system

admin   •   August 15, 2014   •   3040

(Left) Mae Paner A.K.A Juana Change ng Scrap Pork Network at (Right) Abolish Pork Movement Spokesperson Monet Silvestre (UNTV News)

MANILA, Philippines — Isang panukalang batas ang sinusulong ng ilang anti-pork groups upang tuluyan nang matanggal ang pork barrel system sa bansa.

Ayon sa isinisulong nilangpanukalang batas na the Pork Barrel Abolition Act, maaaring makulong sa loob ng 10 taon ang sinomang opisyal ng pamahalaan na gumamit ng pondo ng bayan na hindi nakasaad sa General Appropriations Act.

Nakasaad din na kung sakali mang may maging savings sa mga natapos na proyekto, kailangan maibalik ito sa National Treasury at hindi maaaring maitalaga sa ibang proyekto na wala sa appropriation law.

Ipinagbabawal rin sa ilalim ng panukalang batas na makakuha ang pangulo ng presidential social fund o pondo mula sa Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation o PAGCOR.

Upang maipasa ang nasabing batas, isusulong ng ilang anti-pork groups ang isang peoples’ intiative, at sisimulan nila ito sa pamamagitan ng isang sign up campaign sa Aug. 25 sa Quirino Grandstand.

“Kailangan natin makakuha ng 3% of every legislative district nationwide at para makuha iyon, dapat iyon kalahati noong total na botante last year,” ani Mae Paner A.K.A Juana Change ng Scrap Pork Network.

Target ng mga anti-pork group na makapanghikayat muli ng mamamayan at ulitin ang One Million People March noong nakaraang taon upang  masuportahan ang isinusulong nilang panukalang batas.

“All of these groups, represent tens of thousands of people, so we are counting hindi lang iyon ang dumating. Ang inaasahan naming, darating lahat ng mga unrepresented at walang boses at hindi pinapakinggan ng gobyerno,” pahayag ni Abolish Pork Movement Spokesperson Monet Silvestre.

Kapag nakuha ang kailangan na bilang ng susuporta sa panukalang batas, iaakyat ito sa COMELEC at saka ito magpapaatawag ng referendum sa loob ng isa hanggang dalawang buwan. (Joyce Balancio, UNTV News)

Senate probe into PAGCOR’s alleged lobby for POGO’s quarantine exception sought

Robie de Guzman   •   May 8, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Opposition Senators Francis Pangilinan and Risa Hontiveros are calling on their fellow lawmakers to conduct an inquiry in aid of legislation into the alleged lobbying of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) to exclude Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) in the COVID-19 quarantine.

In a joint statement, Pangilinan and Hontiveros said they have recently filed Senate Resolution 396 after PAGCOR allowed POGOs to resume partial operations, subject to strict conditions, purportedly to boost government revenues amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The senators said that the gaming regulator’s “actuations in lobbying for an exception in favor of the POGO industry threaten to unduly put the health and well-being of the Filipino people at risk by undermining the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).”

“Even going by the official estimate, allowing more than 50,000 workers in the online gambling industry to return to work represents a substantial exception to the ECQ rules,” they said.

PAGCOR chairman Andrea Domingo earlier argued that licensed POGOs should be allowed to resume operations as these are part of the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) sector.

BPOs have been allowed to operate amid the quarantine period.

Domingo earlier assured that before POGOs were allowed to resume partial operations, they would have to meet safety and health requirements.

But Pangilinan and Hontiveros both expressed apprehension that the partial reopening of POGO operations could “reverse the efforts put in place to stem the spread of COVID-19”as there is no assurance that POGOS will follow the Department of Health’s guidelines on physical distancing, wearing of masks, and frequent handwashing and sanitation.”

The IT and Business Process Association of the Philippines (IBPAP) have also rejected that POGOs are part of the BPO industry, citing four key differences:

  • BPO companies are registered with the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) or the Board of Investments, while POGOs are registered with PAGCOR,
  • the offshoring nature of POGOs are allegedly because they are unable to practice their betting or gambling functions in their respective shores,
  • IT-enabled jobs BPO companies create are of much higher value, requiring a range of technical, domain, and soft skills, and
  • BPOs come to the Philippines to leverage off the country’s human capital, like strong English and technical skills, customer service orientation, malasakit, and ability to adapt to foreign cultures. On the other hand, majority of POGO staffing comes from foreign labor brought into the country to support their operations.

According to IBPAP, POGOs are not part of the annual IT-BPO Headcount and Revenue report, which in 2019 ended with 1.3 million direct employees and $26.3 billion in revenues, the senators said.

PAGCOR also argued that revenues from POGO operations can be a significant source of funds for the government’s COVID-19 response.

It also said that operators are ordered to pay all tax obligations up to March 2020 before they will be allowed to resume operations and only registered workers cleared in COVID-19 rapid tests to report back to work.

But Hontiveros and Pangilinan pointed out that during a Senate hearing in February 2020,

the Bureau of Internal Revenue revealed that POGOs failed to pay the government an estimated P50 billion in withholding and franchise taxes in 2019.

The senators said the uncollected taxes of POGOs could be a source of additional government funds for COVID-19 response.

“[But these] taxes need to be collected regardless of the industry’s status of operations during the community quarantine,” they said.

The senators also pointed out that the resumption of POGO operations will have minimal impact on the country’s economy.

They cited records from the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) showing that the industry only accounts for 0.04% of the domestic economy.

Earlier this week, a group of House lawmakers filed a bill seeking to have POGOs declared illegal by prohibiting the operations of any offshore gaming by any means or device within Philippine territory.

PH gov’t allows POGO partial operations amid community quarantine

Robie de Guzman   •   May 1, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The government has allowed the Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) to resume partial operations amid the enforcement of community quarantine against novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) said POGOs have been allowed to partially reopen, subject to stringent conditions.

PAGCOR said that prior to the resumption of operations, POGOs and their service providers are ordered to strictly adhere to the following pre-requisites:

  • Updating and settlement of all their tax liabilities, as certified by the Bureau of Internal Revenue;
  • Updating of their payments for any regulatory fee, license fee, performance bond or penalties due to PAGCOR;
  • Remittance of regulatory fees for the month of April;
  • Must pass the readiness to implement safety protocols

The PAGCOR also assured they will impose safety protocols on POGOs to ensure that its employees will be protected from infections and the spread of the virus in their communities will be avoided.

These safety measures include:

  • The permission of only 30 percent workforce per shift in authorized operating sites;
  • Provision of shuttle services for employees from their places of residence to their offices;
  • Temperature checks upon entry at the office premises;
  • Practicing social distancing, proper sanitation and disinfection, and
  • Wearing of mask at all times, among other important guidelines to curb the infection

Meanwhile, POGO employees who are confirmed COVID-19 cases, including those who are suspect or probable cases, will not be allowed to work.

“The vulnerable groups, including the sick, immunocompromised, seniors, pregnant women, and those with co-morbidities will not be deployed,” PAGCOR said.

“Those who will report back to work – whether Filipinos or foreign nationals – must be tested for COVID-19 and must obtain a negative test result from a testing facility duly-registered with the Food and Drugs Administration,” it added.

POGOs are also required to establish an isolation room for employees who may start to exhibit symptoms of the virus.

“Even with the partial resumption of POGO operations, we will put premium on the safety of their employees, and the gaming industry as a whole,” the agency said.

“While we recognize their huge contributions to nation-building, and their great viability as a funding source in these difficult times, we still have to practice extra precaution in striking a balance between health and economic benefits,” it added.

PAGCOR Chairman and CEO Andrea Domingo said the decision to allow POGOs’ partial operations was reached with the intention of helping the national government raise necessary funds to combat the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Citing the revenues from POGOs as a significant source of funds that would supplement efforts to curb the health crisis, Domingo assured that the management followed the  guidelines provided by the government under the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ).

The agency said that its decision likewise seeks to preserve the employment of 31,556 Filipinos who were directly hired by said industry; and create ripples in the country’s economic activity such as the real estate industry as POGOs occupy 1,000,000 square-meter of office space.

Domingo said POGO operations were allowed to partially reopen under Information and Communication Technology-Business Process Outsourcing (ICT-BPO) exemption.

Businesses classified under ICT-BPO are those that are involved in non-primary business and functions, which will be allowed to operate under the existing community quarantine rule.

With the partial resumption of POGOs, Domingo said that functions of law enforcement agencies will continue, and sanctions and penalties will apply to POGO licensees and service providers who will be found in violation of PAGCOR’s pre-requisites and security protocols, and of the Inter-Agency Task Force’s (IATF’s) orders.

PAGCOR will also coordinate with local government units in monitoring POGOs compliance to protocols while the IATF will conduct inspections.

PAGCOR to resume acceptance of applications for medical aid on Nov. 18

Robie de Guzman   •   November 17, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) said it will resume on Monday, Nov. 18 the acceptance of applications for medial financial assistance.

PAGCOR made the announcement on Saturday, a few days after it temporarily stopped the processing of requests following a fraud attempt.

In a statement, the agency said it will again accept walk-in requests for medical financial assistance after it has been verified by the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).

“Under the arrangement, PAGCOR will be able to tap the assistance of PCSO, which has more human and organizational resources and experience in processing requests for medical assistance “ the statement read.

PAGCOR said the PCSO will issue a guarantee letter if the application has been validated.

“The primary objective of enhanced PAGCOR and PCSO coordination is to maximize aid given to each patient, and to harmonize the systems of both agencies,” PAGCOR said.

The move follows the arrest of a couple who were found to have attempted to defraud PAGCOR by submitting fake documents for fictitious medical cases.

The couple has been released for humanitarian considerations but PAGCOR said it will still pursue legal action against the suspects.

PAGCOR further warned that individuals or groups found guilty of fraudulent activities against the agency shall be dealt with strictly in accordance of the law.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.