Amerika, pinalalakas na ang defense system vs. bantang nuclear strike ng North Korea
admin • April 5, 2013 • 2414
FILE PHOTO: Ang Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) sea-based platform ng US Navy na papuntang North Korea. (CREDITS: U.S. Navy photo / Journalist 2nd Class Ryan C. McGinley)
MANILA, Philippines – Pinalalakas na ng Estados Unidos ang kanilang missile defense system sa Asia-Pacific Region bilang paghahanda sa ikinakasang nuclear strike ng North Korea.
Ayon kay US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, lubhang mapanganib ang binabalak ng Pyongyang bagama’t tiniyak nitong handa silang protektahan ang estado maging ang kanilang mga kaalyadong bansa na pinagbabantaan rin ng North Korea.
Sa ngayon ay patuloy nang umiigting ang tensyon sa Korean peninsula dahil sa ginawang pagharang ng North Korea sa South Koreans na makapasok sa border ng kanilang teritoryo, partikular sa Seoul-funded joint industrial park. (UNTV News)
Japan’s main government spokesperson said the latest projectile launch by North Korea “threatens the peace and security of Japan and the region” on Monday (March 9).
Speaking at a news conference, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, said the multiple projectiles appeared to be ballistic missiles and landed outside of Japan’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the Sea of Japan.
North Korea launched multiple short-range projectiles into the sea on Monday as part of ongoing firing drills, a week after it resumed missile tests following a three-month break, South Korea’s military said.
Suga added that Pyongyang’s repeated ballistic missile launches are a “serious issue for the international community”.
SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA – The United States on Monday flew another surveillance aircraft over the Korean peninsula amid a possible launch of another missile by North Korea, according to an aviation tracker.
Aircraft Spots, which monitors military air movements, said on Twitter that the US Air Force flew an RC-135W aircraft over the Korean Peninsula at 31,000 feet.
The US had flown the reconnaissance aircraft over the region during the weekend to detect, identify and geolocate activities in the North Korean military installations.
The US has deployed several reconnaissance planes in the Korean peninsula since late November after the North Korean regime launched two projectiles into the Sea of Japan with a large rocket launcher on Nov. 29 and carried out two weapons tests.
The deployment of surveillance aircraft by Washington is also a response to Pyongyang’s warning on Dec.3 that it was up to the US to chose what “Christmas gift” it wanted as the deadline to resume the stalled denuclearisation talks drew closer.
Pyongyang has proposed a year-end deadline for the US to come up with a new proposal to restart the stalled nuclear talks.
The bilateral negotiations have not progressed since the failed February summit in Hanoi, where Washington considered Pyongyang’s offer regarding the dismantling of its nuclear assets insufficient and refused to lift the sanctions on the regime.
Since then, the Kim Jong-un-led regime has carried out several arms tests and toughened its rhetoric against the White House.
The two sides held a working meeting in early October in Stockholm, Sweden, which ended with North Korea accusing Washington of failing to offer anything new and actively maintaining its “hostile policy”.
Experts believe that if the talks don’t resume, the North Korean regime could carry out new weapons tests from January, especially of intermediate-range missiles.
Over the weekend, Kim chaired a meeting of the country’s top military officials to discuss political and military measures to bolster North Korea’s defensive capabilities.
On Dec.8, North Korea said it carried out a “very important test” at its Sohae satellite launch base that was of “great significance to the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea”.
Pyongyang had begun dismantling the launch pad and engine test stand at the Sohae base – two of its key installations- in July 2018 after the first summit between US President Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un.
The move was seen as a voluntary gesture and a part of progress towards denuclearization.However, in March 2019, after the failed bilateral summit between Kim and Trump in Hanoi, satellite images showed that North Korea had begun restoring structures in both the launch pad and the engine test stand.
The site, which has been lying dormant since August 2018, is not a part of the regime’s active missile program.
But it is the main site of the regime’s space program, where four important launches have taken place (with one of the attempts failing) in the year 2012 and 2016 where several satellites were put into orbit.
However, at the time, the international community had alleged that they were veiled intercontinental ballistic missile tests. EFE-EPA
Seoul – The top United States official responsible for talks with North Korea on Monday called on Pyongyang to make progress on negotiations concerning denuclearization at a time of renewed tensions in the region.
“It is time for us to do our jobs. Let’s get this done. We are here and you know how to reach us,” said US Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun at a press appearance in Seoul, where he had arrived to meet with South Korean officials to discuss the situation on the Korean Peninsula.
“I remain confident that all of this is possible. I believe we can do this, but the US cannot do it alone,” he added, according to Yonhap news agency.
Biegun’s trip to Seoul, which will conclude Wednesday, has led to expectations that he could visit the inter-Korean border to meet with regime officials, especially since Pyongyang has given a year-end deadline to Washington to reactivate talks with fresh proposals.
In this regard, Biegun underlined that “the US does not have a deadline. We have a goal to fulfill the commitments the two leaders made during their historic summit meeting in Singapore.”
Biegun was referring to the summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump in Singapore in June 2018, during which they pledged to work towards denuclearization of the peninsula.
The official, who on Monday met with his South Korean counterpart Lee Do-hoon and President Moon Jae-in, insisted that Washington would not give up on negotiations and was open to discussing any thorny issues.
Talks on disarmament have remained stalled since the failed second summit in Hanoi in February, where the US considered the number of active nuclear sites North Korea proposed to dismantle as insufficient and refused to lift sanctions.
Since then, North Korea has gradually resumed its weapons tests, toughened its stance, and given an end-of-year deadline to the US to bring more to the negotiating table.
In this regard, the US official on Monday termed the regime’s recent statements as “hostile, negative and unnecessary.”
Biegun’s visit also comes right after two long-range missile engine tests by the regime, raising concerns over the likelihood of North Korea test-firing long range missiles in the near future.
“We are fully aware of the strong potential for North Korea to conduct major provocations in the days ahead. To say the least, such an action will be most unhelpful in achieving the lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula,” Biegun said. EFE-EPA
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.