MANILA, Philippines – Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato of the Philippine Embassy in Libya confirmed that all Filipino scholars studying at the Islamic Call College in Tripoli are all safe after several shells exploded just outside the campus.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), meanwhile, reiterates appeal to Filipinos especially those working in the conflict-stricken city to avoid the areas of clashes and, if necessary, immediately evacuate.
In a separate tweet, Chargé d’Affaires Cato confirmed that a shell exploded just near the clinic were eight Filipino nurses were working.
The three nurses were evacuated on Thursday (January 2) prior to the blast.
The DFA assured that the embassy in Tripoli is ready to assist other Filipinos in relocating to safer areas so long as the situation on the ground would allow the rescue teams to reach them and will provide shelter to Filipinos who will be displaced by the conflict.
So far, more than 20 Filipinos have already evacuated their residences in Salahuddin District and are now staying with relatives and friends, the DFA reported.
The DFA said the Embassy will continue to assist Filipinos who may want to avail repatriation.
Three Filipinos so far have availed of the program since the start of the year, the DFA said.