Albayalde: Cop in EDSA shooting formerly on Duterte’s narcolist

Marje Pelayo   •   March 27, 2019   •   3729

Photo by PNP

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Oscar Albayalde confirmed that Police Master Sergeant Solomon Cugay was formerly included on President Rodrigo Duterte’s narcolist.

Cugay was the cop killed in a shooting incident at EDSA Connecticut on Tuesday (March 26).

Cugay had previous records of coddling and recycling illegal drugs, according to Albayalde, but the PNP Chief clarified that the former was able to clear his name and was absolved from the case some two years ago.

 “Accordingly, nasa PRRD list siya before. But according to Regional Director Gen. Eleazar pero ito ay na adjudicate na at na clear na sya. Basically, walang nakitang illegal activity niya, (Accordingly he was in PRRD’s list before. But according to Regional Director Gen. Eleazar, he was adjudicated and cleared. Basically, he has no illegal activity,)” Albayalde said.

The PNP Chief assured that the killing of Cugay is now being investigated to reveal the motive of the crime.

Albayalde noted, however, that the incident can be a case of ‘bounty hunting’ where cops kill suspected police scalawags to receive the reward money as many narco-cops in the past had been killed after leaving the gates of the Police Headquarters at Camp Crame.

“Ang motive ng pagbaril sa kanya ay wala pang maliwanag it’s still being investigated di natin alam kung ito ay drugs-related o hindi, (The motive of the shooting is still unclear. It’s still being investigated. We cannot tell yet if it’s drug related or not,)” the PNP Chief noted.

General Albayalde also ordered an investigation as to why a mobile patrol was nowhere near the site of the incident when the crime happened. – Marje Pelayo (with details from Lea Ylagan)

Duterte’s net satisfaction rating dips to 62% based on recent SWS survey

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 24, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The recent net satisfaction rating of President Rodrigo Duterte dropped to +62, based on the recent Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey.

Results of the June 2021 survey showed that the president’s rating dropped to +62, which is a 17-point drop from a peak of +79 in the November 2020 survey.

In the May 2021 poll, Duterte got a net satisfaction rate of +65. The SWS released the three results on Thursday (September 23).

The June 2021 survey showed that 75% of the respondents said they were“very/somewhat satisfied” with the president’s performance, 13% indicated that they were “very/somewhat dissatisfied”, while 12% are undecided.

In the May 2021 survey, meanwhile, Duterte received a net satisfaction rate of +65, where 75% of the respondents were “very/somewhat satisfied”, 10% were “very/somewhat dissatisfied”, and 15% were undecided on the matter.

The president got a high rating in November 2020 with +79 rating,  51% of the respondents said they were “very satisfied,” 33% were “somewhat satisfied,” while 9% were “undecided,” 4% were “somewhat dissatisfied,” and 2% were “very dissatisfied.”

Despite the dip in rating, SWS fellow Geoffrey Ducanes said respondents in the recent survey were satisfied with the government’s response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

“Most people don’t think the government mismanaged the pandemic. They actually gave the government relatively high rating in terms of taking care of those who got COVID-19 and also relatively high rating in terms of vaccination,” he said.

Meanwhile, the delay in the results release, according to Ducanes was due to the COVID-19 pandemic where the agency had to conduct phone interviews. AAC (with reports from Lucille Lloren) 

 

Over P2.7M worth of illegal drugs seized in Brgy. Baclaran, Parañaque City

Marje Pelayo   •   September 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) reported on Thursday (September 23) that over P2.7-million worth of illegal drugs were seized in an operation held on September 21 in Barangay Baclaran, Parañaque City.

According to a report submitted to NCRPO Chief Pmgen Vicente Danao Jr, police elements were able to intercept and arrest the suspect identified as Joey S. De Leon, from Dimasalang St, Pasay City.

He was caught engaging in illegal drug trade in front of The Original Seafood Building along Market Roxas Boulevard, Service Road North Bound, in Barangay Baclaran.

Recovered from the suspect were the following pieces of evidence:

-a piece medium tied transparent plastic containing white crystalline substance of suspected shabu which was the subject of sale;
-two medium tied transparent plastic containing white crystaline substance of suspected shabu;
-seven pieces heat-sealed transparent plastic sachet each containing white crystalline substance of suspected shabu weighing a total weight of more or less 379 grams with a total street value of P2,577,200;
-a piece of genuine P1,000 bill on top of three pieces of buy-bust money;
a piece coin purse color brown; and
-a shoe box.

The seized illegal drug items were turned over to the Southern Police District Crime Laboratory for chemical analysis while a case for violation of RA 9165 of the The Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 is being prepared against the arrested suspect.

Velasco asks Duterte to reconsider mandatory face shield policy

Marje Pelayo   •   September 21, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — House Speaker Allan Velasco has asked President Rodrigo Duterte to reconsider the mandatory use of face shields as an added protection against COVID-19.

In a letter to the President dated September 20, Velasco said the face shield requirement only poses an added financial burden to Filipinos who are already struggling economically due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Velasco also cited the absence of solid medical proof that the use of plastic face shields is effective against COVID-19 transmission.

“The use of face shields has made little difference in protecting against the transmission of COVID-19 over the proper use of masks alone, and imposes an additional burden to poor Filipino families already reeling from the adverse effect of the pandemic on their livelihood,” Velasco pointed out.

In his letter, Velasco recommended that the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) and the Department of Health (DOH) to reconsider the policy for the general public when going out of their homes or indoors, including in malls, commercial establishments, and public transportation.

Velasco cited the latest survey conducted by the World Bank entitled COVID-19 Low Income Household Panel and Economic (HOPE) showing the impact of the pandemic on the poorest households.

He said: “COVID-19 has worsened hunger among Filipinos. The cost of a face shield of about P20 to P50 is already a substantial amount equivalent to the cost of a meal for these poor Filipinos.”

Also, he noted that the World Health Organization (WHO), as well as the United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), recommend the use of face shields, only for those providing direct care to patients with COVID-19.

He added that based on studies conducted by physician-researchers of Wayne State University School of Medicine, combining the use of face shields and masks made little difference over the use of masks alone.

Even in the Philippine context, Velasco said that combining the use of face shields and masks made little difference over the use of masks alone which poses doubt on the efficacy of the use of face shields.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.