Aklan LGU presents 6-month Boracay action plan for the island’s recovery
admin • February 28, 2018 • 7325
FILE PHOTO: A resort in Boracay Island
AKLAN, Philippines — The local government of Aklan has presented its six-month action plan for the rehabilitation of Boracay.
This is in response to President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive to clean the once prestigious island.
During a dialogue with various stakeholders on Tuesday, Malay officials explained the six-month Boracay action plan which states the repair of the drainage system, water treatment facilities, as well as the steps it will take to address over the construction of facilities, pollution, and overcrowding in the said tourist destination.
Due to the rising number of establishments and tourists visiting the island, the population of its workers is also growing.
Based on the figures of the Malay local government unit (LGU), 62 percent of the population of Boracay are cramming in the small island.
This resulted in more land and water wastes daily.
Alongside the increase of population is the increase in number of new structures that, local officials noted, have failed to follow standards.
The Malay LGU also urges participation and unity among stakeholders to ensure the successful rehabilitation of the premier tourist destination of the country. — Mon Jocson | UNTV News & Rescue
The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año has ordered the relief of Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) Region 6 Director Fire Senior Supt. Roderick P. Aguto after several BFP personnel allegedly breached quarantine protocols in Boracay.
The BFP personnel, dubbed as the ‘Boracay 27’, reportedly visited the island of Boracay from June 12 to 14 for a despedida party. However, one of their members was supposed to be in quarantine while waiting for her COVID-19 test result which later came out positive.
Año said the country is currently facing a pandemic and there is no time for any excuses.
“We will never tolerate any wrongdoing by our BFP personnel or any other DILG personnel for that matter because lives are at stake here. Moreover, as law enforcers, we must set a good example to our people and the breach of quarantine protocols sets a very bad example,” he said.
The DILG also said that the BFP Regional Office is now conducting swabbing and placing under quarantine all its personnel who have had contact with the said individual.
Meanwhile, the BFP will begin further investigation on the matter and is prepared to file a complaint once it is found that the Boracay 27 indeed violated quarantine protocols. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
FRANCE – Amid the global coronavirus pandemic, more and more protective equipment is ending up in the sea, a French clean-up group warned on Tuesday (June 9).
Volunteer divers who are part of the association Operation Mer Propre say they have seen discarded face masks and latex gloves floating underwater during their operations around the French coast for a month.
“For a month now, we’re starting to see these masks. It’s a new type of pollution,” association founder Laurent Lombard told Reuters in an interview via video call.
The main cause is littering, Lombard said.
Since France emerged from a strict eight-week lockdown last month, people are using personal protective equipment (PPE) in public and some are throwing used masks and gloves on the street. When it rains that gets washed into the sea.
Although for the moment PPE constitutes “not even 1 percent” of the total 3 tonnes of trash collected underwater by the group since its foundation last year, Lombard said he is wary that the problem could worsen as the pandemic drags on.
Aware of the situation, government leaders have called on the public to dispose of their used PPE properly.
France’s environment ministry in late May increased fines for these infractions, from 68 to 135 euros, rising to 750 euros depending on the severity of the offence.
Lombard said that the new rule should be strictly enforced.
“The message is really to throw your masks in trash bins,” he said.
President Rodrigo Duterte has postponed his scheduled trip to Boracay amid the threat of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country.
Duterte’s supposed visit was to conduct an inspection of Boracay after the six-month rehabilitation period last year.
In a statement on Wednesday (March 11), Malacañang announced that the chief executive’s trip will be rescheduled for another date.
“In light of the recent developments and after careful review of the situation concerning the coronavirus disease in the country, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte will not proceed to Boracay Island on Thursday, March 12, as earlier scheduled,” Palace spokesman Salvador Panelo said in a statement.—AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.