Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

AFP verifies report of 23 armed groups joining forces under ‘ISIS Philippines’

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, March 6th, 2018

FILE IMAGE: A screenshot of a video in the internet showing some allegedly Filipinos signifying alliance with the ISIS terrorist group.

MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said the remaining terrorists are still recruiting and strengthening their forces.

Twenty-three armed groups are believed to have joined forces under the so-called “ISIS Philippines”.

However, the AFP is still verifying the said information.

The military is also looking into intelligence reports that a certain Abu Dar replaced Isnilon Hapilon as the emir of the Islamic State in Southeast Asia.

Abu Dar, a Maranao, was able to flee the clashes in Marawi City and is believed to have brought with him a huge sum of money.

“We are trying to confirm the veracity of that information. Yesterday, informal reports came in regarding the matter and I’m telling it to the intelligence community, operations and people on the ground we are trying to confirm that,” AFP spokesperson BGen. Bienvenido Datuin said.

The AFP noted that terrorists continue to recruit new members, organize, and re-train themselves.

The military and the police are also verifying a circulating text message, saying terrorists are planning to bomb six cities.

The said text message states a leaked copy of the Philippine National Police (PNP) Region X in Cagayan de Oro City.

“We are closely monitoring them to make sure that they will not conduct or execute any atrocities or terroristic actions within the metropolis or any urban areas,” said the AFP spokesperson.

“This is being validated, but this should not be a cause of panic or alarm among our citizens. If we are talking about Mindanao, so we could protect the people there. Here in our area, in Visayas and Luzon, the security forces, the military, the intelligence community and the PNP are on top of the situation. We are doing our part in seeing to it that our people will be protected,” said PNP spokesperson PCSupt. John Bulalacao. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , ,

Ex-AFP chief Carlito Galvez is the new presidential peace adviser

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 12th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: Former AFP Chief of Staff General Carlito Galvez Jr.

MANILA, Philippines — Former Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief of staff Gen. Carlito Galvez who just retired, has yet another role to play in the Duterte government.

President Rodrigo Duterte announced on Tuesday (December 12) at the AFP’s 83rd Anniversary and Change of Command ceremony that Galvez will be replacing former presidential peace adviser, Jess Dureza who previously resigned after two of his subordinates were accused of being involved in corruption.

“By the way, before I forget, si General Galvez will join the Cabinet next week as the Secretary of the Peace Process Office,” Duterte said to the audience.

The President added that Galvez is the 9th military man to be appointed under his administration.

His most notable accomplishment as the 50th AFP chief of staff is the strengthening of internal security operations.

“Upon assuming command, he supervised our internal security operations and the implementation of martial law in Mindanao. This led to the neutralization of more than two thousand terrorists, the recovery of thousands of firearms, and the clearing of seven guerrilla fronts,” the President said.

Replacing Galvez as AFP chief of staff is the current head of Eastern Mindanao Command, Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal.

Madrigal’s appointment coincides with the establishment of a new division of the Philippine Army in Jolo, Sulu and the formation of a national task force that will combat the armed insurgency of the communist rebels.

“We now shift to a new civilian-led approach that will tap other government agencies and other private sectors in bringing basic services and other development interventions that will address the root cause of the communist movement,” the President said during his speech.

Duterte has ordered Madrigal to continue the good work that his predecessors have started in achieving lasting peace for the country.

“General Madrigal, you are now tasked with the responsibility of preserving peace and ensuring order as we shift to this new approach. Sustain the progress of those who came before you and create a legacy that will cause ripples of positive change in the years to come,” President Duterte said. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , ,

Police accused by Sagay massacre survivors of compelling to testify vs. NPA

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 5th, 2018

 

Survivors of Sagay massacre

MANILA, Philippines — Covering themselves with a malong and wearing a face mask are mother and son who survived the Sagay massacre where 9 farmers, four women, and two minors were killed by armed men at Hacienda Nene, Purok Pine Tree, Brgy. Bulanon, Sagay City on October 20.

The mother who survived the massacre is accusing authorities of compelling her son, Lester, to testify against the New People’s Army (NPA) and prove that the group was behind the Sagay massacre.

Lester’s mom fears that police will use his son to pinpoint innocent individuals.

“Kahit military nagsasabi rin na, the child can pinpoint na NPA daw ang gumawa nung massacre,” said Atty. Kathy Panguban, legal counsel of the survivors.

“Kaya lumayo iyong mag-ina sa Negros at nag-seek talaga sila ng sanctuary dahil patuloy silang hinahabol ng mga pulis, pinipilit na gawing star witness sa Sagay massacre,” she said.

The Sagay Philippine National Police (PNP) chief and two of his personnel are facing violation of Republic Act 7610 or the Anti-Child Abuse Law, an allegation denied by the Sagay police.

“Wala kaming ginawang ganoon, ‘yung pinipilit. Wala kaming pinipilit na tao. ‘Yung allegation na iyan is actually fabricated iyan. Bakit naman namin pipilitin iyong bata? Tapos iyong bata po noong ininterview, pagsubscribe sa affidavit, nandoon iyong mismong prosecutor. Nandoon iyong ama at saka iyong DSWD na nagpasubscribe ng statement niya. Doon pa lang mismo malalaman na namin. May video kami niyan,” said Sagay City police chief PCI Robert Mansueto via phonepatch.

“Yung statement na NPA ang gumawa ng Sagay massacre, that came from the army infantry brigade,” said Panguban.

Lester’s biological father meantime is facing charges of violation of Republic Act 9262 or Violence Against Women and Children over the alleged abuse and harassment against his child and for forcing them to cooperate with the police.

“Nagpapatuloy iyong pananakot niya sa kliyente namin sa kanilang ina at pinipilit niyang makuha iyong anak; mabawi iyong anak at tinakot din niya na kakasuhan din daw niya pati iyong nanay ni Lester,” said Panguban.

As of now, the survivors are in a safe place.

The victims in the massacre were members of the National Federation of Sugar Workers (NSFW) who were participating in a campaign to occupy the idle lands which are not yet distributed to the beneficiaries. — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

Age, health of Imelda Marcos to be considered in her arrest — PNP

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Monday, November 12th, 2018

 

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_083117_imelda marcos

FILE PHOTO: Imelda Marcos

QUEZON CITY, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) Custodial Center is prepared in case the court decides to place former first lady Imelda Marcos under PNP’s custody.

However, PNP chief PDG Oscar Albayalde said they have not been notified yet for advance coordination with the court regarding the release of the arrest warrant against Marcos.

Albayalde added that in consideration of Marcos’ age and health condition, they have not ordered personnel of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) to wait at the gates of Congress like in the case of Senator Antonio Trillanes.

Nevertheless, the PNP Chief has directed the CIDG director to lead the arrest upon release of the warrant.

At present, Marcos is facing minimum of 6 years in prison and perpetual disqualification from holding public office after the Sandiganbayan found her guilty on seven counts of graft.

However, the former first lady may still post bail for her provisional liberty as graft is a bailable case. — Lea Ylagan

Tags: , , , ,