AFP still verifying alleged beheading of another Canadian national

admin   •   June 13, 2016   •   5352

Abu Sayyaf member threatens to behead a foreign hostage in this file photo.

Abu Sayyaf member threatens to behead a foreign hostage in this file photo.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is still verifying reports that the Abu Sayaff Group (ASG) has beheaded one of its three hostages.

The bandit group has set 3 p.m. today as the deadline for the 600 million peso-ransom it is asking in exchange for the release of the remaining hostages it kidnapped at a resort in Samal island last year.

Minutes after the 3 p.m. deadline, reports surfaced saying Canadian national Robert Hall was beheaded.

“We have no confirmed information regarding that incident. That is being reported. I have contact with Major Tan in Zamboanga. And the information is that they are just continuing with the support operations. But that information will be considered for confirmation,” said Noel Detoyato, AFP Public Affairs Office Chief

The AFP says it has no information yet regarding the negotiations between authorities and the Abu Sayaff Group.

The government has maintained it’s adherence to its no ransom policy and vowed to continue going after the bandit group.

It can be noted that last April, one of the Samal hostages identified as Canadian national John Ridsdel was beheaded by the Abu Sayaff after authorities refused to pay ransom.

(DARLENE BASINGAN/UNTV NEWS)

7 more communist rebels yield in Sultan Kudarat

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—Seven more members of the communist terrorist group (CTG) surrendered to the Joint Task Force Central in Sultan Kudarat on Sunday (October 17).

Commander of Western Mindanao Command Maj. Gen. Alfredo Rosario, Jr. said the CTG personalities were identified as Oyet, Maymay, Ben, Noel, Nacan, Osing, and Adog.

They belonged to the Platoon Myphone, East Daguma Front, Sub-regional Command-Daguma, Far South Mindanao Region. The said individuals also handed over their firearms, including two cal. 30 M1 Garand rifles, one cal. 30 M2 Carbine rifle, one 12-gauge Shotgun, and one M79 grenade launcher.

“The military is always willing to welcome former rebels/violent extremists who wish to lay down their arms, go back to the mainstream society, and live a peaceful life with their family,” Rosario said.

During the debriefing, alias Oyet expressed his condemnation of the communist group which he described as a ‘godless’ group.

Dako ang pagmahay namo ngano ning apil mi sa teroristang NPA, mayo na lang naa ang 7IB nga wala ngaduha-duha sa pagdawat namo (We regret our decision of joining the NPA terrorists. It’s a good thing that the 7IB is here to accept us without second thoughts),” alias Oyet said.

It can be recalled that on October 13, eight members of the same group surrendered to the 7IB in the municipality of Bagumbayan. AAC

P262 million worth of shabu seized, 4 drug suspects killed in Pampanga ops

Robie de Guzman   •   October 18, 2021

Four Chinese nationals were killed in a buy-bust operation that turned into a firefight with law enforcers, the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) said Monday.

In a statement, PDEA said its agents conducted the operation, together with the police and military forces, in Punta Verde Subdivision in Barangay Pulong Cacutud, Angeles City Pampanga at around 10 a.m.

The buy-bust operation turned into a firefight when the armed suspects engaged the combined forces, it added.

Authorities identified the suspects as Cai Ya Bing alias Cai, 29 years old from Yuncheng City, Shanxi; Erbo Ke alias Payat, 34 from Quanzhou City, Fujian; Huang Guidong, 43, and Wuyuan Shen also known as Jinpeng Zhang, 41, both from Zhang Zhou, Fujian.

All four men were allegedly armed with caliber .45 pistols.

PDEA said 38 kilograms of suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride or shabu valued at P262,200,200 million  was seized from the suspects by combined forces.

Two mobile phones and a digital weighing scale were also recovered from the suspects, it added.

PNP to coordinate with AFP on campaign vs loose firearms

Robie de Guzman   •   October 14, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar on Thursday said they will closely work with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in strengthening efforts against the proliferation of loose firearms in the country.

In a statement, Eleazar said the PNP will be partnering with the AFP to bolster coordination and information-sharing to further intensify the campaign.

Eleazar’s statement follows the arrest of five people, including two soldiers and a policeman, for allegedly selling firearms during an entrapment operation in Barnagay Tamontaka in Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao last Tuesday.

The PNP identified the arrested individuals as Patrolman Eliver Jay Anggot Soverano, reportedly assigned to the PNP-Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Regional Crime Laboratory Office; Datu Morjan Kunakon Tumindig; Adams Tuminding; and Army Staff Sgt. Gleen Argones Sangyao and Army Staff Sgt. Reynaldo Dichosa II, both are reportedly assigned to the 6th Infantry Division.

The operation was conducted after a police poseur-buyer was able to transact with the suspects for the sale of assorted firearms.

Seized from the suspects were a 5.56 mm Bushmaster rifle, two 5.56 rifle, an M4 Carbine, two cal. 45 pistols, and three 9mm pistols.

“Dahil sa insidenteng ito, makikipag-ugnayan ang inyong PNP sa liderato ng Armed Forces of the Philippines upang palakasin ang monitoring at mga operasyon laban sa sinumang magbebenta at bibili ng mga loose firearms, pulis man, sundalo o sinuman ang sangkot dito. Hindi natin hahayaan ang ganitong kalakaran lalo na at may eleksyon tayong dapat protektahan,” Eleazar said.

He said the PNP personnel arrested will be charged with both criminal and administrative charges.

He lauded the Datu Odin Sinsuat Municipal Police Station for the operation.

Eleazar earlier ordered police units to conduct early election security preparations that include aggressive operations against loose firearms and private armed groups.

“I am also warning all our personnel not to engage in this kind of illegal activity because I will make sure that the full force of the law will be used against you. Bilang mga alagad ng batas, hindi dapat tayo maging bantay-salakay at sa halip ay bantay ng bayan upang mapanatili ang kapayapaan at kaayusan,” he said.

TAGS   , ,

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.